Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheelchair user in tricky situation!

Options
  • 06-11-2011 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Is it only me or do other wheelchair users find themselves in tricky situations?
    Today I knocked the tyre off a front castor when the wheel got jammed against a kerb.
    To make it worse the tyre got fowled up under the wheel arch so the wheel was totally seized and refused to rotate. Fortunately I wasn't too far away from the car and hobbled the chair back to the car (no assistance from anybody may I add. :mad:)
    Anyway I sorted it out when I got into the drivers seat and all well now..roll on new wheelchair.
    I worry about these occurrences and feel loss of independence and dignity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

That'll learn you!

Are you new to the chair? It's strange nobody came to help you out, all I've to do is drop something and it seems like the entire street runs over to pick it up. I can pick up my own shlt thanks.

I've broken a chair at the axle under the seat hopping off a step in a pub. It was like sitting in a chopper. Just hopped out and someone got some twine and rope and we bound it up good as we could.

Have had more than a few flats on a night out. Sub-optimal buzz. Also in snow and ice in recent winters I've found myself pushing hard and getting nowhere.

I've tumbled scores of times, sometimes landing quite a distance from the chair. I've had it taken on me in pubs. Usually gets left back quick enough though.

I hear what you're saying though. But you'll get used to these things and something like that shouldn't happen too often I reckon. It would be a whole lot worse if you'd no chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

That'll learn you!

Are you new to the chair? It's strange nobody came to help you out, all I've to do is drop something and it seems like the entire street runs over to pick it up. I can pick up my own shlt thanks.

I've broken a chair at the axle under the seat hopping off a step in a pub. It was like sitting in a chopper. Just hopped out and someone got some twine and rope and we bound it up good as we could.

Have had more than a few flats on a night out. Sub-optimal buzz. Also in snow and ice in recent winters I've found myself pushing hard and getting nowhere.

I've tumbled scores of times, sometimes landing quite a distance from the chair. I've had it taken on me in pubs. Usually gets left back quick enough though.

I hear what you're saying though. But you'll get used to these things and something like that shouldn't happen too often I reckon. It would be a whole lot worse if you'd no chair.

:eek: Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

It's strange nobody came to help you out, all I've to do is drop something and it seems like the entire street runs over to pick it up. I can pick up my own shlt thanks.

Its the last sentence that people wont help anyone any more, in case they offend you as you say you can pick up your own ****. So no wonder no one helped the guy above..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

afatbollix wrote: »
    Its the last sentence that people wont help anyone any more, in case they offend you as you say you can pick up your own ****. So no wonder no one helped the guy above..

No - he meant that he doesn't need help - the "I can pick up my own sh*t, thanks" remark was put there to make the point that the person is well able to do things for themself, and not as an abusive remark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

No - he meant that he doesn't need help - the "I can pick up my own sh*t, thanks" remark was put there to make the point that the person is well able to do things for themself, and not as an abusive remark.

Spot on. I don't actually SAY anything, I can pick it up just fine myself. It's not difficult and if I actually need help I have no problems asking a passerby.

• Advertisement
Advertisement