Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Dog Walks in the Limerick/Tipp Area

• 06-11-2011 4:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if anyone knew of any nice walks in the Limerick/Tipp area where I could take my dog, been to Clare Glens and I wasn't a big fan being honest, usually go to Dundrum Woods but would like to go somewhere different for once. Was thinking of heading up to the Glen of Aherlow tomorrow, anybody know of any other nice Dog Friendly Walks in the area?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Cratloe Woods (not too far from Limerick)
    Curraghchase
    University of Limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

I was actually going to recommend Glen of Aherlow but you're already heading there. It's really nice up there and there are quite a few walks. Most, if not all, of the walks bring you on to the road at some point or another so just be aware of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Keeper hill out passed Newport. 1.5 hour walk around the forest. Amazing views down towards Galtymore.

If you continue to the top then it would be around 3.5 hours up and down. You get amazing views right across Lough Derg and further.

It's a walking route.

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/Treks/TrailName,8016,en.html

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Lough Gur is nice at this time of year. You could also park your car at Grove island and walk the canal bank down onto Shannon Fields,down the red walk by the old Corbally Baths and back up the mill road. That's a good hour or so of a walk. http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5176425

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I also recommend Curraghchase woods for a good run.
    There are also a couple of Shannonside walks starting from O'Briensbridge which we do regularly with our mutts. It's a pathway but most walkers seem to let their dogs run off the lead. There are a couple of loops, one of 5km up to the Parteen weir and back along the canal (dogs have to be leashed for part of that as there are sheep nearby) or a 7km walk to Clonlara:

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,5771,en.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

castleconnell is nice

you should try silvermines mountains..bit of a drive up to it but its worth it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Seen as the like of O' Biens Bridge is mentioned, Killaloe is worth a gander.
    Crag Hill, across from Two Mile Gate of the Scarriff Road is fantastic. Good workout for dog and owner with spectacular views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I also recommend Curraghchase woods for a good run.
    There are also a couple of Shannonside walks starting from O'Briensbridge which we do regularly with our mutts. It's a pathway but most walkers seem to let their dogs run off the lead. There are a couple of loops, one of 5km up to the Parteen weir and back along the canal (dogs have to be leashed for part of that as there are sheep nearby) or a 7km walk to Clonlara:

http://www.shannonregiontrails.ie/FindaTrail/Walking/LoopWalks/TrailName,5771,en.html

I walked that southern loop last week, really nice. Was really muddy though after about 30 mins walking, so wellies may be required if going that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭nin2010

There's some nice walks in Cratloe off the main paths/roads. Look for mountain bike trails going through the forest... My dog loves running through the pine needles and jumping the logs and stuff.

Advertisement