Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How realistic is it for a part qualified accountant to get sponsored in Australia?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭

I did a search of the forum first so do forgive me if I am starting a thread that has been asked before.

Basically, I used to work in auditing for a Big 4 firm in Dublin. Worked there for just under 2 and a half years, and being honest, absolutely detested it. I quit a year early on my contract as the job was making me miserable and life's too short for that.

I had passed my CAP 1's, and CAP 2's (ACA exams) both at the first attempt, and after leaving the Big 4, then decided I would give the FAE's one proper attempt. I studied for 4 months and failed them. The first exams in my life I have ever failed. Absolutely gutting.

Repeating wasn't an option whatsoever. I couldn't put myself through FAE's again. And anyway I made the decision before I sat them that it would be one attempt only and had already booked my travels through South America and New Zealand and onto Melbourne where I have been based for almost a year now on a WHV.

My first WHV was all about travel and I worked a pretty easy stress-free job, that enabled me to save to go travel.

I love Melbourne and really don't want to leave anytime soon. With my farmwork nearly done, I will soon have a full year to look for sponsorship. I've seen most of what I wanted to see in this country travel wise, so the travel aspect can take a backseat now.

At first I wasn't too keen on going back into accountancy, but if I want to get sponsored it is probably my only option, as I dont have any experience in anything else. And while Practice was horrible, maybe working in Industry will not be anywhere near as bad.

My question is, how likely is it for somebody who is part qualified accountant to get sponsored here? Obviously they pay would be a lot less than a fully qualified accountant, which I don't mind, but is there a demand for accountants who don't have the full qualifications?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

This really is one of these threads that doesnt really have a home. Not enough accountants on the Australia forum, not enough people living in Australia on the Accountancy forum. Can't win. :)

Any knowledge would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's possible to get sponsored in a job that you are partially qualified in from a academic point of view.
    But I can't comment on Accountancy specifically, and even still a lot would depend on you. If you can get a job with current qualifications then it should be possible (but i've no idea of how likely)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭jockey#1

Hey

I work in accounting here, I am fully qualified my background being from practice but like you it was always my intention to get away from that at the first opportunity!

I don't think it's impossible, experience is almost more important than qualifications. I work with alot of people who aren't qualified but have degrees of some sort but then again they are not looking to be sponsored as they are aussies! What will probably go against you i'm afraid is you only have two & a half years experience however employers here do value audit experience more than industry experience in my opinion so who knows.

You should register with all the main finance agencies if you haven't done so already and they will soon tell you how suitable you are a job here. If you want I can email you a list of all the agencies and contact names to assist. Just PM me with your email address.

Good luck hope it all works out for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 gh001

Hi guys..

I am currently completing my ACA exams. I was exempt from CAP 1's and have 2 of the Cap 2's completed. doing the CAP 2 modular so sitting the other two this year. Not very happy here though and am considering going to Australia. My boyfriend is there on a 457 visa and it is my understanding that i can go defacto on his visa.

What I am wondering really is would there be any opportunity to get work over there. I have 1 years audit experience and would like to finish the ACA however would transfer over to ACCA if necessary just to get out of here.

Appreciate any info that anyone can give.

Thanks in advance

Advertisement