Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating leaving certificate advice?

• 06-11-2011 12:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I'm currently repeating the leaving cert, and I could use some advice.
    On the first leaving cert(done this year) my marks went

Higher English - A1
    Higher Business - A1
    Higher Geography - A1
    Higher History - A1

Which I think is pretty good. But then I got

Foundation maths - F
    Higher Biology - D

So Now I'm repeating. And thinking to going back in tomorrow..... its stupid. I hate it. I've already got my marks, on 75% of the course, Now I have to repeat this, at ordinary level, with people who have never read the source material, when I could be in college. So I'm thinking of leaving, attempting to get into a college after christmas, or if I fail, then work a job, do the CAO in 2012, and start next summer. Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

What exactly do you want to do in college? At the moment, you have ~450 points (depending on what level of D in Biology you got), is that enough for the course you want to do?

If it is, all you need to repeat are your requirements...maths for definite, and whatever else the course needs.

I don't think its possible to get into a college after Christmas unfortunately. The CAO allocates places in August/September and thats more or less it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well honestly I didn't look that closely, there was a lot of stuff in my life going on. I'd like to do medicine, become a doctor. I thought I'd only have to repeat maths and biology, but at this place I chose, I asked the head master and he said 'no you can't repeat just two, if you repeat here you have to stay in school all day and only doing two subjects means you'll be sitting round'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well honestly I didn't look that closely, there was a lot of stuff in my life going on. I'd like to do medicine, become a doctor. I thought I'd only have to repeat maths and biology, but at this place I chose, I asked the head master and he said 'no you can't repeat just two, if you repeat here you have to stay in school all day and only doing two subjects means you'll be sitting round'

You can repeat two, externally, but it won't make any change to your points. To change your points you'd have to have to repeat six subjects.

Medicine is an exception for entry, in that you HAVE to get the points (over 480 at least) and the entry requirements in the same year. You would also have to apply to sit the HPAT before the middle of January. The requirements for medicine vary depending on which college, but at the very least you will need to pass one science subject.

This booklet contains all the information you need for entry requirements for medicine:
    http://www2.cao.ie/downloads/documents/2012UGMed Entry.pdf

You will need to copy that link to your URL bar and take away the space between Med and Entry, the link won't work if I paste it directly. See the yellow table on page 2 :)

Irish and/or a third language are also requirements for every college, unless you are exempt.

If you're not interested in doing medicine, there is no need to repeat every subject again for points, if 450 is enough for the course you do want.

I could get my mark up for Biology, but maths is by far my weakest subject. I'm doing ordinary level right now, and I'm struggling to say the least. To be honest, doing a different course is looking more and more tempting.

• Advertisement

I could get my mark up for Biology, but maths is by far my weakest subject. I'm doing ordinary level right now, and I'm struggling to say the least. To be honest, doing a different course is looking more and more tempting.

Do some research into college courses that may interest you. Qualifax.ie has a list of all CAO courses, and the minimum entry requirements. You can also go into their "Useful Tools" section to find out what courses definitely need honours, ordinary level or foundation level maths.

Will they just count my points, or would they look at my failed maths grade and discount for it?

Will they just count my points, or would they look at my failed maths grade and discount for it?

They'll just count the points from 2011 if they are what you intend to use. They will then make sure you have your requirements from both LC sittings, so once you passed maths once, thats fine. Nothing will be taken away! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

F in foundation and you wan't med? and a D in biology?

I did want medicine. But as I say, I didn't look too closely at the requirements.

• Advertisement

I did want medicine. But as I say, I didn't look too closely at the requirements.

oh, like the potential is there 4 A1's. Are you picking up any new subjects?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

With thoses results you should looking into a course in arts play to you strenghts.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

4 A1s? Christ I'd be happy with that :P

icedtea wrote: »
    4 A1s? Christ I'd be happy with that :P
    Well I was happy with that. I was just hoping for a pass in maths. I'm not very good like, but you guys count D as a pass, don't you? So I was hoping for it.

Well I was happy with that. I was just hoping for a pass in maths. I'm not very good like, but you guys count D as a pass, don't you? So I was hoping for it.

i believe with them results you would be well able to pass maths. No doubt in my mind. Just practice, practise!!

Sunny!! wrote: »

i believe with them results you would be well able to pass maths. No doubt in my mind. Just practice, practise!!

I wish :( do not get maths :(

I wish :( do not get maths :(

is there any chance you could get grinds?

I had a tutor in England for the best part of 8 years, tried grinds last year, but I just don't get it. At all. I know I could have performed better at biology, I was distracted, but I tried the maths, and I failed.

I had a tutor in England for the best part of 8 years, tried grinds last year, but I just don't get it. At all. I know I could have performed better at biology, I was distracted, but I tried the maths, and I failed.

If you're going to go with just the 2 subjects though, you'll have much more time to dedicate to maths compared to last year! :) Don't assume you can't do it, you never know how much easier it might be with an added year.

i know where you are coming from, but you can improve. I went from failing in first year to getting a C in hl jc. To getting a c1 in hl last year. So if i can do it. Trust me you can. I was even considering doing ol this year repeating, but I'll stick with hl.

• Advertisement

I'm just sitting in class... bored you know? Bored in the ones I got good marks in, frustrated with biology and maths. I've tried grinds, I've tried studying, I've tried podcasts for goodness sake, nothing works for maths :(

Advertisement