Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading a HP dc5700 Microtower

Options
  • 06-11-2011 12:57pm

The graphics on my PC are very poor and in order for me to install windows 7(currently running XP), i'll need directX9 graphics mimumum. i'd like directx 10 or 11. hopefully by upgrading, i'll get another 4-5 years life out of it.

Specs of my PC can be found in the link below. Its the one on the left
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF04a/12132708-12132884-12132884-12132884-12736054.html

I want a good enough graphics card to be able to watch videos in full screen comfortably, inccluding dvd's
    HDMI output is a bonus but not a essential. I want to spend no more than €60 on a graphics card.
    would a ATI Radeon HD5450 do?
    Or a ATI Radeon HD5570

My PC has a maximum power output of 300w. I would prefer not changing the power supply if possible.
    Processor is a Intel Pentium D 925 3GHz. Is this processor obsolete?

PC has 2gb (2x512mb + 1x1gb) of ddr2 ram. Can be upgradable to 4gb.

In total im expecting to be paying about €140
    RAM (1x1gb) €10
    Graphics card €50
    Windows 7 €80 (can get windows 7 professional for €45-€80 because im a student:D)
    Im aware il need to install microsoft office again, but leave that out

Here are my motherboard specs
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Model 0A60h (XU1 PROCESSOR)
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model Q965
    Chipset Revision C1
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 82801HB/HR (ICH8/R)
    Southbridge Revision B0

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The 5450 is far from a powerful card, is there any specific uses that you have in mind apart from Windows 7? It wouldn't be enough to handle recent games.

Incidentally, the 6450 is nearly as cheap.

Monotype wrote: »
    The 5450 is far from a powerful card, is there any specific uses that you have in mind apart from Windows 7? It wouldn't be enough to handle recent games.

Incidentally, the 6450 is nearly as cheap.

I wouldn't be playing any recent games, maybe the odd one old one. I want to be able to view videos (e.g Youtube, rte player) and dvds in full screen without lag or blocky images

Whats the6450 like? is this is?

The 6450 will handle video, even HD videos fine.

A major problem is that you don't have a PCI-E slot for a graphics card. You only have PCI and PCI-E x1 (small slot for other expansion cards) slots. Unfortunately, that eliminates and real choices for upgrade.

The 6450 will handle video, even HD videos fine.

A major problem is that you don't have a PCI-E slot for a graphics card. You only have PCI and PCI-E x1 (small slot for other expansion cards) slots. Unfortunately, that eliminates and real choices for upgrade.

So, my computer is un-upgradable?:(

There's little you can do about the graphics anyway. Any somewhat reasonable PCI graphics are rare, expensive and are still quite weak. I wouldn't recommend going down that route.

I think that you'll have to start saving for a bigger upgrade.

• Advertisement

ok thanks. guess Il just have to let it die so.
    I think i'll save up, and build from scratch next year when windows 8 is out

Thought id look into again once more..
    found out the motherboard is a btx motherboard (some failed attempt to replace atx) thats mounted on the left instead of the right. btx boards cannot not be found on any usual computer websites so i had a look on ebay.
    found a dell one for €35 delivered which is used but has a PCI Express 1.0a slot. From googling, PCI Express 2.0 are nearly fully compatible with this kind of slot, theres just some very minor performance losses. more info on board can be found here

I know Windows XP will not boot with a new motherboard installed but i also have kubuntu installed and that apparently boots fine with new hardware.
    my current ram is 667mhz ddr2

Id be getting a low profile graphics card like a 6450, or 7450(when its out).
    In total i presume i'd be looking at about €135 (Mobo, €35; 1gb Ram, €10; Win7, €45; GPU, €45)

My questions,

1. Would you advise buying used ebay parts?

2. When/if i install windows 7, should everything work okay?

1. It can be mixed bag.
    2. Yes, windows 7 is very good with most configurations.
    You'd want to make sure that your PSU and new motherboard are compatible and they follow the standards.

It hardly seems worth ploughing more money into a system that old.
    If you could raise a bit over €200, you could squeeze in a new PC.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76048331&postcount=3
    Maybe selling your current one could get you some money back.

The integrated graphics here should be able to handle any HD videos and the CPU is quite a bit more powerful.

1. It can be mixed bag.
    2. Yes, windows 7 is very good with most configurations.
    You'd want to make sure that your PSU and new motherboard are compatible and they follow the standards.

It hardly seems worth ploughing more money into a system that old.
    If you could raise a bit over €200, you could squeeze in a new PC.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=76048331&postcount=3
    Maybe selling your current one could get you some money back.

The integrated graphics here should be able to handle any HD videos and the CPU is quite a bit more powerful.

what do you think of this..

Total build cost: €236.85 (inc delivery Free!)
    XIGMATEK Asgard Micro Black Case €31.35
    Intel Pentium Dual Core G840 2.8GHz LGA1155 3MB €74.41
    ASRock S1155 Intel H61 DDR3 mATX €50.22
    Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333MHz DIMM 240-pin CL9 €35.42
    Windows 7 64 bit Professional €45.45

this would be €100 over the cost of upgrading my current one but performance would be much better. does that build look ok?

Interesting, I didn't know that there was a micro Asgard case. The full size one is fairly good for the money, so I'd say this one is too.

I don't think the Pentium is great value for money. You're paying an extra €32 for an additional 0.4GHz and some additional cache. In earlier celerons, they cut things like speed step but here, as far as I know, there's little else that's different. Both the pentium G840 and celeron G530 are dual cores. The 2.4GHz of the celeron would easily be equivalent to more than 5GHz of your old pentium D.

Looking at the board now, I think this gigabyte is worth the extra €2.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/gigabyte-ga-h61m-d2h-usb3-s1155-intel-h61-ddr3-matx-7V25.html?refs=468360000&src=3
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4004#sp
    Better monitor connections and USB 3.

8GB isn't really necessary and I doubt you'll notice the difference between 4GB given the outline of programs you gave. But if you go with the 8GB, it's unlikely that you'll need to upgrade again for the life of the system and RAM is very cheap at the moment.

You may need a PSU. Some of the PSUs do not follow the standards and are incompatible with mainstream PCs. You/I would have to look into each specific model. Many are compatible but another problem is that they have cable lengths made for the case/motherboard it's used with. Since it's an mATX, the components might be shorter so you there is a chance you could get away with it.
    For a new PSU, if you need to keep money tight, there's the CX430v2 or if you have €5, there's the XFX 450W, which is a little better in a few areas.

As for your HDD and DVD drive, you should check the connector types of these. Older ones use the PATA/IDE/ATA connector while the newer ones are SATA. You can get adapters for these, I see them at €12 on dabs, but I'm sure I bought one for a lot cheaper than that before somewhere...

• Advertisement

Thanks much appreciated. I'll probably buy the stuff in the new year. I'll have to make a choice regarding the processor but as you said, I can always upgrade it later from the one you suggested

Think both the dvd drive and hdd are sata. But dvd rom drives are only €15 euro anyway. the current hdd is tiny. Hopefully hard drive prices will be somewhat lower in a few months

Regarding finding the asgard case on dabs, just type it in, it's the only way it comes up for some reason :)

Thanks again.

Advertisement