Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible incident at broad Street this morning

• 06-11-2011 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

Has seriously left a mark on me.

A young woman was walking with her daughter (a toddler) and their little dog (toy size thing, not sure of the breed, but he'd fit in a handbag.)

Out of nowhere a pitbull terrier, seemingly owner and lead-less, grabs the little dog and runs off with it, tearing it like a toy. The woman is hysterical but can't run after it because of her daughter. Taxi drivers and passers and myself do everything we can to release the poor dog....kicking the pitbull until he eventually released the smaller dog. I had to leave but the last I saw was the tiny dog in a man's arms, with a paw hanging off and in a lot of shock.

People were frantically ringing guards and all sorts (who hadn't arrived after 15 minutes btw). A horrible scene that effected everyone that saw it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Why on earth are vicious dogs allowed anyway - muzzled or not? I don't buy - they are pets, they are lovely animals really, it's the owner...bla bla bla. There should be a complete ban on these types of animals.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Any dog can do that though,it's just amplified cause of what breed it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Why on earth are vicious dogs allowed anyway - muzzled or not? I don't buy - they are pets, they are lovely animals really, it's the owner...bla bla bla. There should be a complete ban on these types of animals.:mad:
    It is the owners though. The majority of controlled breed dogs out there wouldn't do such a thing. I can only assume the dog wasn't under the control of it's owner at the time either so I know who I'd blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Yes, all dogs are unpredictable. Yes, the dog is often a reflection on its owner and how it was reared. However, don't tell me that a springer spaniel or a yorkshire terrier is as unpredictable as a Pitbull.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 junglejim1

Any dog can do that though,it's just amplified cause of what breed it is.

Maybe, but type "savaged by dog" into google and note the guilty breeds, always the usual suspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Yes Boss

Adyx wrote: »
    It is the owners though. The majority of controlled breed dogs out there wouldn't do such a thing. I can only assume the dog wasn't under the control of it's owner at the time either so I know who I'd blame.

But what is the attraction to a vicious breed of dog? What's going on there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

junglejim1 wrote: »
    Maybe, but type "savaged by dog" into google and note the guilty breeds, always the usual suspects.

Because the likes of those dog's usually attract the wrong kind of owner. I have seen some of the kindest dog's that would have been pit-bulls, bull staffs and others on the restricted breeds list. It is all down too the owner. If they don't correct dominant behaviour like this then ofcourse the dog is going to throw its weight around.

The reason you don't see smaller dog's doing this is because they don't have the muscle for it. Mentally they are all capable of it, but a jack ussell is just as capable of ripping the throat of another dog as a pit-bull is.

Ban the owners, not the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Yes, all dogs are unpredictable. Yes, the dog is often a reflection on its owner and how it was reared. However, don't tell me that a springer spaniel or a yorkshire terrier is as unpredictable as a Pitbull.

+1. Certain dogs are more prone to be vicious and that's why a lot of people buy such dogs. You'd be doing well to make a spaniel as vicious as a pitbull. Just because some pitbulls aren't vicious and some other breeds can be very rarely doesn't mean that it's wrong to generalise. Dogs like that just should not be off a lead as they are unpredictable and prone to crazy moments. The amount of times I've seen people out with dogs like these trying to say "ah don't worry he's a softy really" or something like that. Certain breeds should be banned or phased out. That's an awful story and must have been horrible to witness. The dogs will be probably put down but as people have said the owner is the one that should be heavily fined and held accountable for this (I almost said put down).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Where the hell was Superman!!!

Limericks wrote: »
    The reason you don't see smaller dog's doing this is because they don't have the muscle for it. Mentally they are all capable of it, but a jack ussell is just as capable of ripping the throat of another dog as a pit-bull is.

Ban the owners, not the dogs.

Why don't you see labradors or dogs like that throwing their weight around then? I agree that it's the owners' fault but with some breeds it's not in doubt that they're more prone to attacking. An even more unfortunate thing is that some big dogs get incorrectly labelled. German Shepherds for example are way more gentle than pitbulls as they were originally breed for herding and are more like collies than pit-bulls in their mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

Yes Boss wrote: »
    But what is the attraction to a vicious breed of dog? What's going on there?

Just take a look at the vast majority of the owners of these pit bulls....every scumbag in NY has one of them. The poor dogs are aggressive to begin with and these dirtbags encourage the behavior and use them as a weapon and protection.

Was the dog captured? The owner should be prosecuted for leaving it free and hurting the poor little yapper it assaulted. I will bet you the owner is a scumbag too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

That poor little dog, sounds just horrifying. But i can't help but imagine what would have happened if the little dog hadn't been there with the toddler being next in line and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

argosy2006 wrote: »

Ahhh but the lads in that pic must have had a tough childhood and thats why they own them types of pets.....Bring the boys over to Eire and give em a house and car and they'll be fine...poor fellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Noo wrote: »
    That poor little dog, sounds just horrifying. But i can't help but imagine what would have happened if the little dog hadn't been there with the toddler being next in line and all.

Definantley, it's sounds like a terrible incident.

Noo wrote: »

Nothing probably. The dog got attacked because it is a dog. For a dog to attack a human it is VERY rare. Even the worst dog's out there won't attack a human unless the human does something to the dog first.

As far as never seeing a Labrador throwing it's weight around, ok they have a better temperament but how often do you see the bottom rung of society walk a Labrador around? . But I believe if the dog is reared properly then a pit bull can be just as loving and as friendly as a labrador.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2737503/Cops-hunt-guide-dog-attack-beast.html

check this vid out, sums up owner and breed.
    ATTACKS POOR GUIDE DOG DOING HIS JOB!

Argosy trying really hard to crack jokes about something that's not in the least bit funny.

On a related point of dogs and the guards taking ages to turn up. There were travellers up in our estate the other day and were taunting a dog. They wouldn't stop and the dog was really distressed. We told them to **** off and they did what you might expect them to do. They then proceeded to run up and down the street into eveyone's garden and jumping on people's cars and intent on doing damage. They're always up here causing trouble so we rang the guards and how long did it take for the guards to turn up .... well it's four days and counting. Someone eventually chased them off but if there was any real trouble then the guards really would have something to answer. I know it's not a real crisis situation but you think you'd get some help from the police when you need them.

Unreal. Majority of guards in this country are as bad as the politicians. Love the power, love the quirks, hate the work.

• Advertisement

Limericks wrote: »
    As far as never seeing a Labrador throwing it's weight around, ok they have a better temperament but how often do you see the bottom rung of society walk a Labrador around? . But I believe if the dog is reared properly then a pit bull can be just as loving and as friendly as a labrador.

You made my point for me. Thanks very much. There's a reason why you don't see people like that walking labradors around - because it would be too much work to make them as aggessive as they can easily make a pitbull or similar breed. I'm sure they could be loving and friendly but even if I had one I wouldn't leave it on its own with a toddler for example. You may say that they rarely attack people but they've savaged kids a lot more often than other breeds. Anyone can see that they're more prone to aggression and that's what they're bought for so they serve no useful purpose to society as people don't tend to get them as nice cuddly family pets. You can't trust people so unfortunately you need to ban these breeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Has seriously left a mark on me.

A young woman was walking with her daughter (a toddler) and their little dog (toy size thing, not sure of the breed, but he'd fit in a handbag.)

Out of nowhere a pitbull terrier, seemingly owner and lead-less, grabs the little dog and runs off with it, tearing it like a toy. The woman is hysterical but can't run after it because of her daughter. Taxi drivers and passers and myself do everything we can to release the poor dog....kicking the pitbull until he eventually released the smaller dog. I had to leave but the last I saw was the tiny dog in a man's arms, with a paw hanging off and in a lot of shock.

People were frantically ringing guards and all sorts (who hadn't arrived after 15 minutes btw). A horrible scene that effected everyone that saw it.

Did the pit bull get away?

letsbet wrote: »
    You made my point for me. Thanks very much. There's a reason why you don't see people like that walking labradors around - because it would be too much work to make them as aggessive as they can easily make a pitbull or similar breed. I'm sure they could be loving and friendly but even if I had one I wouldn't leave it on its own with a toddler for example. You may say that they rarely attack people but they've savaged kids a lot more often than other breeds. Anyone can see that they're more prone to aggression and that's what they're bought for so they serve no useful purpose to society as people don't tend to get them as nice cuddly family pets. You can't trust people so unfortunately you need to ban these breeds.

Actually you have made my point for me re the kind of owner that would typically have the pit bull. I am not making things up here. A dog's psyche is one that makes it so it will listen to it's master, that's how they are wired. The pack mentality is there. They will emulate there masters. If a dog does not have a caring owner who shows dominance over the dog in the correct way then it will either become a problem dog or it will become its own master and revert to feral instinct and that is one of protecting its territory. It will do anything to do this as it has not been taught otherwise.

I myself have a Labrador retriever and while she is one of the kindest dog's I have ever met, she will bark without end if another dog so looks at her territory which end's at our front gate. That is all she will do though and won't do it if I am around as she knows I am the master and will take care of the protecting of the territory from there on.

Again I reiterate, do something about the owners and not the breed.

A dog barking at a dog on their territory and a dog attacking another dog is not quite the same thing. Most dogs are loyal so I have no idea what you're on about then. If you think that these breeds aren't more prone to aggression then you're nuts. What are you going to do to solve the owners? The answer is you can't do anything other than ban the dogs as you can't trust these owners to behave responsibly. Such dogs should be muzzled. Some aren't even on leads.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Did the pit bull get away?

Was still walking amongst people as I left. And what's worse is, there was a couple with two poodle style dogs sitting outside a cafe, not a bother on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Was still walking amongst people as I left. And what's worse is, there was a couple with two poodle style dogs sitting outside a cafe, not a bother on them.

Do you reckon the little dog died?

Id say the child was distraught altogether?
    At least a few people were willing to help out.

jayboi wrote: »
    Do you reckon the little dog died?

Id say the child was distraught altogether?
    At least a few people were willing to help out.

The poor thing was in shock. It was looking up at me with the saddest eyes and then i noticed its paw was bent back and there was bone sticking out. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

The poor thing was in shock. It was looking up at me with the saddest eyes and then i noticed its paw was bent back and there was bone sticking out. :(
    Hopefully they'll be able to sort out its leg. With a bit of luck the other dog will be caught and put to sleep and the owner will be found and held accountable

The Pitbull was starving...I was trying to tell the polish woman in the cafe to give him some food but she was having none of it. I only said it cause the two poodle type dogs were just sitting there and you'd never know what a hungry dog like that would do next.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah Jesus the poor little thing. Fair play for helping out.
    I got a little jack Russel a few days ago. Really nervous chap. He has teeth marks on his snout and on the top of his head. Poor fella was treated horribly by whoever owned him before.

Wonder if I rang the vet would he tell us if the dog is grand

Advertisement