Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible incident at broad Street this morning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Im pretty sure there is legislation and licencing laws to prevent these types of dogs being owned by scum bags who dont have a clue. I was out in Tramore this morning and there were tens of dogs running around off their leads.

2 examples of laws being abused in Ireland and nobody gives $hit until something terrible like this happens. Are the gardai responsible for policing this, probabbly have some sort of responsibility but those who are their to enforce it couldnt be ar$ed doing anything about it. The law is there to be respected, yet Irish people think it is there was some sort of grey area guidance. This is why we end up with dogs running wild in city centres, people parking where they like, litter everywhere and in general a discourteous and ignorant society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ah Jesus the poor little thing. Fair play for helping out.
    I got a little jack Russel a few days ago. Really nervous chap. He has teeth marks on his snout and on the top of his head. Poor fella was treated horribly by whoever owned him before.

Wonder if I rang the vet would he tell us if the dog is grand

That's actually not a bad idea. I wonder which vet would he have been brought to. Everybody at the scene was visibly upset. The cries of the poor dog were so desperate that, almost instinctively, everyone picked up their phones...not even sure who to ring. The fact that after 15 minutes, the guards, located 60 seconds away, hadn't turned up is very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

That sounds horrific, can't even look at those dogs they terrify me! Hopefully the little dog will be fine and thank god it wasn't the child.

That pitbull owner has some questions to answer! I pulled up outside my house yesterday and some fella was walkin his huge rotweiler (in a estate full of children) with no lead on, the minute I pulled up he looked at me , saw I was looking at the dog, THEN put the lead on. I don't trust any dog, we have a fairly tempermental old king Charles out in my mams. You just have to be extremely careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Just woke from a dream that my lilttle one was being eaten by a giant rat but I managed to pull her out of it's jaws. Scary, hope the little fella is alright.

I usually take my one in for a stroll on a Sunday too just glad I slept in today.
    Reminds me though, when she was just a pup (size of a large hamster) we took her on one of her first trips to the park and a couple had two staffies running loose, they were at the other side of the pitch but once they spotted her they made a run for her. I tried to remain calm and not freak out but they were on top of us in seconds, picked her up shook her around like a rag doll and the owners came over and tried to get them to release her. They had grabbed her by the hind and she was fully engulfed in one's mouth. She was ok but shook up and I'm still weary when walking her in case something like that happens to us again.
    I hate people who don't put their dog's on leads, makes life miserable for the rest of us.

[edit: as an aside I did contact the dog warden but got a 15 minute lecture on how staffys are grand dogs and its dogs like mine that are more likely to bite people...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Noo wrote: »
    That poor little dog, sounds just horrifying. But i can't help but imagine what would have happened if the little dog hadn't been there with the toddler being next in line and all.

That's a completely ridiculous comment. This dog is obviously vicious but think of how many other children etc that it had passed on it's way to the eventual attack and ask yourself why didn't it attack them. Dogs very, very rarely attack humans unless provoked.

The behaviour of this dog can't be excused but the only people talking sense are those talking about the owners being the problem. A pit bull/staffie/whatever raised in a good environment and treated well will be a lovely dog.

It's not that they are more prone to be aggressive than other common breeds, it's that they're raised that way and that, if a pit bull is aggressive, then they're going to be devastating because of the sheer power and strength of the animal.

I do think that you should be required to have a special license to own one of these dogs though. it would be very difficult to implement but you should have a proven track history of being a good owner before you're allowed to take on the care of one of these. Unfortunately, it's a free for all and it's the dregs of society who see them as a status symbol that tend to have them. Until is is resolved, they will continue to have a bad name and terrible incidents like this will continue to happen.

Inexcusable from the guards too. I'd like to think I'd have gone up the hill and demanded some attention in the station but the way they are, you'd probably end up being arrested and they still wouldn't go down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

nkay1985 wrote: »
    It's not that they are more prone to be aggressive than other common breeds, it's that they're raised that way.

This is just not true. The way they are raised makes them more aggressive but it's well-known that certain breeds are more predisposed to aggressive behaviour - just ask a vet or an expert in the area. It's what they are bred for and how they are bred. Why do you think scumbags don't try to make labradors or great danes into mean lean fighting machines. Anyone who argues that a pitbull can make a lovely pet and a more soft breed can become vicious is completely missing the point. These dogs are more prone to it - that's why they're bought by certain people. The nurture exaggerates what is natural in these dogs. To say that it is just the way they are raised is just plain wrong. Maybe the reputation of all dogs of a certain breed is exaggerated and some more friendly breeds get away lightly in the same way that sharks are seen as vicious and dolphins are sweet. Still, I know which type I'd rather swim with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

letsbet wrote: »
    This is just not true. The way they are raised makes them more aggressive but it's well-known that certain breeds are more predisposed to aggressive behaviour - just ask a vet or an expert in the area. It's what they are bred for and how they are bred. Why do you think scumbags don't try to make labradors or great danes into mean lean fighting machines. Anyone who argues that a pitbull can make a lovely pet and a more soft breed can become vicious is completely missing the point. These dogs are more prone to it - that's why they're bought by certain people. The nurture exaggerates what is natural in these dogs. To say that it is just the way they are raised is just plain wrong. Maybe the reputation of all dogs of a certain breed is exaggerated and some more friendly breeds get away lightly in the same way that sharks are seen as vicious and dolphins are sweet. Still, I know which type I'd rather swim with!

Sorry but you havent a clue about dogs, pitbulls especially. I really wish people wouldnt post such crap about dogs being more aggressive than others because of the breed it is:mad:
    These dogs are not more prone to it at all.The only reason certain dogs are vicious is because of humans making them that way, not because of the breed it is!!!

andreac wrote: »
    Sorry but you havent a clue about dogs, pitbulls especially. I really wish people wouldnt post such crap about dogs being more aggressive than others because of the breed it is:mad:
    These dogs are not more prone to it at all.The only reason certain dogs are vicious is because of humans making them that way, not because of the breed it is!!!

Thanks for your well-thought out reply :rolleyes: I know quite a bit about dogs and if you read quite a lot about them you'll find that the consensus is that certain breeds are more prone to aggression than others as they are bred for it. Just saying that's wrong with no reasoning isn't very clever. Maybe you should tell the people lecturing in veterinary studies that they're wrong and know less than you. All people who buy pitbulls and the likes mustn't have a clue either as why don't they buy other breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Really sorry to hear about this. These type of incidents send me into a rage when I hear about them. I hope the poor little thing will be okay and that the mother and child will not be too affected by what happened. I have young kids myself and I hate to think about the little girl having to witness something like this.

People can go on all they want about how it's the owners who have to be more responsible, etc. Rubbish. The vast majority of these owners are dangerous scum who should be behind bars in the first place, and they most certainly shouldn't be allowed own pitbulls or similar breeds of dogs. But the fact remains that if these dogs were banned then these kinds of incidents would not happen.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Breeding has everything to do with it. If animals did not take on traits of them sire/dams why would people pay milions for stallions and avoid breeding from certain mares?

• Advertisement

Breeding has everything to do with it. If animals did not take on traits of them sire/dams why would people pay milions for stallions and avoid breeding from certain mares?

Exactly. I have a springer spaniel and people will pay thousands for ones from certain lines as they have all the necessary qualities. Without needing to be shown what to do a dog will show the traits bred into them. For example, my dog loves chasing birds and making them fly away (as that's the primary role of a springer, hence the name), has a soft bite (as they are bred not to pierce the game when they retrieve it), loves retrieving and is good in thick cover. She also doesn't mind loud bangs like fireworks and bangers as they are bred not to be gunshy. Now you could make any dog good at these with a lot of training but in certain breeds it comes naturally to them. In the same way you could train a labrador to become really aggressive but it'd be a lot harder to do than it would be with other breeds. Aggression is one of the characteristics bred into certain dogs as that's what they were needed for. To say that certain breeds aren't prone to aggression (or any inhereted behaviour) ignores the laws of genetics. Note: the word prone doesn't mean that all such dogs are more aggressive than other breeds it means they are more naturally predisposed to it. Of course the nurture side of things accentuates these traits but to say that it's all nurture is almost laughable and shows a complete lack of understanding of genetics and dog breeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Yes Boss wrote: »
    Why on earth are vicious dogs allowed anyway - muzzled or not? I don't buy - they are pets, they are lovely animals really, it's the owner...bla bla bla. There should be a complete ban on these types of animals.:mad:

Not to make little of the OPs shocking story but this post shows that we have learnt nothing over the years. This is 100% down to the owner of the PB. It is not he dog who should be punished but the owner. There are far too many dreadful owners of dogs who require strict control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Fair play to OP for doing something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭Gingersnaps

That's a completely ridiculous comment. This dog is obviously vicious but think of how many other children etc that it had passed on it's way to the eventual attack and ask yourself why didn't it attack them. Dogs very, very rarely attack humans unless provoked./QUOTE]

That's not true. It's not rare for a dog to attack humans unless provoked. I've often had dogs snapping at my ankles while I've been out cycling. Also when I've been running in the phoenix park, I've had situations where dogs, although with their owners but unleashed have ran at me snapping and biting at my ankles even though I would not be even close to their owner. In no way was I provoking the dogs.

But the fact remains that if these dogs were banned then these kinds of incidents would not happen.

Sure the scum would just find another breed to corrupt and in five years' time we'd be haing the same argument about a different breed.

I should have said that the cycle with pitbulls in self-perpetuating. Because they're seen as vicious, they're bought by people who want vicious dogs, which mean there are then people who breed the dogs badly in order to make more vicious dogs. The pitbull as a breed is not more prone to be aggressive.

Whatever about the rest of these points, check out point 9 here.

And letsbet, in your reply to andreac you say that her just saying "you're wrong" with no reasoning isn't clever. What exactly are you doing so? Ridiculous!

Sure the scum would just find another breed to corrupt and in five years' time we'd be haing the same argument about a different breed.

I should have said that the cycle with pitbulls in self-perpetuating. Because they're seen as vicious, they're bought by people who want vicious dogs, which mean there are then people who breed the dogs badly in order to make more vicious dogs. The pitbull as a breed is not more prone to be aggressive.

Whatever about the rest of these points, check out point 9 here.

And letsbet, in your reply to andreac you say that her just saying "you're wrong" with no reasoning isn't clever. What exactly are you doing so? Ridiculous!

I was giving reasoning! If you think that in five years with selective breeding that we'd have the same problem with a different breed then you must think they're going to reinvent genetics. It takes a long time to breed aggression into a breed. It wasn't in some of the current problem breeds 50 years ago but was bred into them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I was giving reasoning! If you think that in five years with selective breeding that we'd have the same problem with a different breed then you must think they're going to reinvent genetics. It takes a long time to breed aggression into a breed. It wasn't in some of the current problem breeds 50 years ago but was bred into them.

Bull type dogs are lovely breeds and very calm dogs. Problem is scum buy them to make them vicious, because they are so muscly they do alot more damage than a JRT would do if it attacked. Bull breeds should in no way be banned anyone who suggests that is ignorant of dogs.

In fact I just got a new "Pitbull type" dog for a friend for my king charles cavalier

The owner of the pitbull should be prosecuted in todays incident.

You didn't. You just said that you know quite a bit about dogs and that if people did a bit of reading they'd see that the consensus is that same as you think. None of that is reasoning! If that's the case I, or anybody else, can just say we know even more about dogs and having done more reading than you on the topic have found that the consensus is the opposite to your view. Get me?

Either way, I've said my piece and am not goign to continue any further as it's taking away from the original topic.

In terms of today's incident the dog will have to be put down and its owner should be prosecuted but that's unlikely to happen. I hope the little dog is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭YumDeiseMum

deisedave wrote: »

The owner of the pitbull should be prosecuted in todays incident.

Agree 100%

The owner of ANY dog, irrespective of breed should be prosecuted when it attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Although I didn't see this incident I just can't get it out of my head. If anyone knows what happened to the injured dog maybe they could post something. Hopefully the little thing might not have been too badly hurt.

• Advertisement

You didn't. You just said that you know quite a bit about dogs and that if people did a bit of reading they'd see that the consensus is that same as you think. None of that is reasoning! If that's the case I, or anybody else, can just say we know even more about dogs and having done more reading than you on the topic have found that the consensus is the opposite to your view. Get me?

Either way, I've said my piece and am not goign to continue any further as it's taking away from the original topic.

In terms of today's incident the dog will have to be put down and its owner should be prosecuted but that's unlikely to happen. I hope the little dog is ok.

I was refering to the reasoning relating to the natural characteristics of breeds that are selected. I used the example of a spaniel to convey my opinion (and that of many others) that certain characteristics that are bred into dogs make them more prone to certain behaviours than others - not that all of them are vicious or anything like that. A debate like this will always just go back and forth anyway as you kind of said. Some people think that it's all the dog's fault, others think that it's all the owners fault, I think that it's a mixture of both. As for the owner of the dog - of course they should be prosecuted I think most of us would agree with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Agree 100%

The owner of ANY dog, irrespective of breed should be prosecuted when it attacks.

That is something I think a lot of posters are forgetting. The breed isn't an issue, it's the fact that a dog was subject to a vicious attack by another dog, regardless of the breed of either dog the owner of the attacker is to blame. All dogs regardless of their size or temperment should be kept on a leash at all times in public places, particularly in built up areas such as a town or city, the owner failed majorly in this regard. If that dog had been leashed this probably would not have happened.

One would have to wonder what sort of treatment the attacking dog gets and what sort of way it has been raised from a pup to behave in this way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

If the owner of the injured dog knows the identity of the owner of the pitbull and makes a complaint to the gardai then yes, he/she can be prosecuted in the courts.
    People were frantically ringing guards and all sorts (who hadn't arrived after 15 minutes btw). A horrible scene that effected everyone that saw it.

Its a pity the Gardai were too busy to respond immediately but armed Gardai would have been needed to destroy the out of control dog. So it depends on what they were doing at the time and the priorities of the calls queuing.

Turner, this incident happened within a stone's throw of the local Guarda Station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Was it a smallish white pitbull?

I saw the animal welfare van picking up a dog that might have been that one on Catherine Street at about 12.30 today. It had no collar and was just standing in the middle of the road.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Weve had this before.

The only Gardai equipped to deal with incidents are those in patrol cars or on other forms of patrol.

Gardai in stations are only wearing trousers and shirts and do not carry any personal protection equipment.

Dial 999 and log a call, it goes into a queue system and is given a priority. If numbers are low and no units are available.... its held, until they are available.

In some cases its seconds in some cases its 6+ hours.

You would be surprised in some city stations 2 patrol cars max are on patrol. Numbers are low and getting lower.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056443018

Could they not run down with some spray of some kind. Or come down just for the act of turning up?

Was it a smallish white pitbull?

I saw the animal welfare van picking up a dog that might have been that one on Catherine Street at about 12.30 today. It had no collar and was just standing in the middle of the road.

Yes it was. That sounds like him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

I seen a girl get run over on the quays and watched as my dad frantically called 999 ...to which they took about 20mins of making sure it wasn't a prank call.. while she died on the road. I don't think they give two ****s about some dog unless it's hurting someone else.. and even then there could be something else bigger happening so no one knows when they might turn up.

Frightened? this puppy got off lightly -_-

EDIT! Just seen that post after mine about it's condition. That sucks man :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

The yorkie belongs to a lad I work with. He spoke to the vet and and was told if she stabilises they will have to amputate the leg, but unfortunately if not she'll have to be put down.

Advertisement