Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible incident at broad Street this morning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

This story actually mad me feel sad!
    Dogs like that should not be left out to run around freely in public whatsoever. I had a similar thing happen to an old dog of mine a few years back. Some scum bag type livin near me decided to bring his full grown rottweiler out for a walk, with no muzzle, left the dog off the lead for it to spot my dog (she was like the bus eireann dog) and run straight over and attack her. He had his jaws locked around my dogs body, the owner stood there smirking while a neighbour of mine ran out with a basin if water to throw over the dogs until the owner finally decided to punch his dog off. It was a horrible sight so i can just imagine what seeing that was like.

Thank god the dog didnt decide to go for the child instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

This is an awful story, but the worst thing is that next week / year / 10 years, people will still walk into places like Peoples Park with their kids and pets to meet a pit bull or some other type of dog running round without a lead and with the owners not giving a sh1t because he's 'a lovely dog'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

aquanaut wrote: »
    This is an awful story, but the worst thing is that next week / year / 10 years, people will still walk into places like Peoples Park with their kids and pets to meet a pit bull or some other type of dog running round without a lead and with the owners not giving a sh1t because he's 'a lovely dog'

Btw If people have experience with dogs and are claiming spaniels are quite dogs , they are wrong the pound told my family recently that alot of spaniels are developing mean streaks.

My sisters spaniel attacked someone and the dog was not mistreated in any way. Pitbulls can be dangerous dogs because of there strength but they are not naturally overly aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

jayboi wrote: »
    Was still walking amongst people as I left. And what's worse is, there was a couple with two poodle style dogs sitting outside a cafe, not a bother on them.

Do you reckon the little dog died?

Id say the child was distraught altogether?
    At least a few people were willing to help out.

My first taught was if that little dog was not their would the child have being a target? sounds horrible I hope they got the pitbull and owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

jo06555 wrote: »
    My first taught was if that little dog was not their would the child have being a target? sounds horrible I hope they got the pitbull and owner.

No it wouldnt... Dogs can be dog aggressive but that doesnt mean its going to attack people or children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisedave wrote: »
    Btw If people have experience with dogs and are claiming spaniels are quite dogs , they are wrong the pound told my family recently that alot of spaniels are developing mean streaks.

My sisters spaniel attacked someone and the dog was not mistreated in any way. Pitbulls can be dangerous dogs because of there strength but they are not naturally overly aggressive.

Firstly define a spaniel. Is it a cocker, a springer, or some type of half breed? This is a very generalised comment. A springer is not mean, but will be very protective of its home and owners.

Secondly, I blame the owner here unconditionally, but also strongly support the fact that each breed has distinct qualities and characteristics. The owner has failed this dog, and will be the cause of two dogs being destroyed, as well as the trauma of the family. Like some people aren't suitable parents of children, many are unsuitable owners of dogs.

A springer in particular as previously mentioned here, is normally a gun dog by trade, or will have come from a hunting background. Provided they've come from a good line, they are hugely intelligent and very receptive to instruction. They enjoy having a assertive master, but can be known to bully an owner who is for want of a better word a bit of an eejit who they don't respect.

One key requirement is that they have a 'soft mouth' so they don't damage whatever they are supposed to be retieving. I've known springers to be given away or destroyed for not having this ability.

They do also make excellent watch dogs - as another key trait they have is an excellent sense of smell - and are often used by customs. They will protect their terroritory, and for any potential burglers reading - mine will chase you off my property, and has done this several times over the years. Biting would be an absolute last option for a springer, and they will give you several warnings before it came anywhere near to that stage.

Springers will not snap, dogs like terriers certainly may. Although each is different like people, I have one who is excellent with children, but another family member's who will need to be watched. I will generally act in the best interests of my terriers by keeping them away from small children as much as possible, as the child can often unintentionally provoke a dog by pulling its ears/tail etc. and won't know when to give the dog space.

Members of my family have also had pitbulls, trained for a specific purpose which was protecting a business premises, which again they did successfully. However, the owner of these dogs has owned literally dozens of dogs since childhood, and was very much their master. Crucially he was also a gun owner, which was always close at hand should one of these dogs ever loose control.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

My heart sank when I read the OP..any word on the dogs condition?

I'm curious now, if I was walking a small dog and one of these dogs grabbed it in it's jaws and wouldn't let go..I would not hesitate for a second to kick the offending dog full force, which could end up killing it. I'd only do this as time would be of the essence and if one of them is going to die it won't be my little fellah ..so question is, would I be in any way liable if the dog died as a result of me kicking it?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

The spaniels in question are more likely to be cockers but obviously any dog can become aggressive, especially if they're ones in the pound as they've probably not had a great life and who knows what they've been through. Some cockers are prone to rage syndrome (sometimes called spaniel rage) but it is quite rare.

The name spaniel rage is a bit mis-leading for two reasons. Firstly, it's mainly only the cockers (maily solid coloured ones) and it's never been found in the working breeds. Secondly, it's a different type of aggression. It sometimes manifests itself in short bursts of aggression but more often that not it appears that it manifests itself in bursts of energy as it's thought to be a form of eplilepsy. I have a cocker spaniel who shows small signs of it in terms of huge sudden bursts of energy where she just wants to go outside and run all over the place to run off the energy. She's never been aggressive though - maybe as with all dogs being neutered helps on that front but you can never fully trust any dog. Anyone who thinks that their dog is completely incapable of attacking is misguided.

The gene in the cocker (although quite rarely shown to bad effects) is just another example of certain dogs being more prone to certain types of behaviour, aggression being one of them. The rage syndrome is noted in many other breeds as well btw, such as rottweilers, english bull terriers and even the golden retriever but in all cases it seems to be exceptional (as opposed to other breed-related characteristics) which are far more pervassive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

if you have a problem with a dog you call a dog warden and dont waste the garda's time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

leg wax wrote: »
    if you have a problem with a dog you call a dog warden and dont waste the garda's time.

Thats not true.

The Gardai are there to protect life and property.

Armed Gardai have in the past destroyed out of control dogs when required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

leg wax wrote: »

More than likely most people rang 999. I had the local guards number. Remember, there was a vicious dog on the loose. I'm not sure how many dog wardens are at the ready on a Sunday morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,055 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did the small dog die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Also, from my own experience when my dog went missing last year, the local dog warden is based just outside Carlow as is the "local" pound. That's where my dog was brought when the warden was called. So it could have been the case that it would be quicker to get the local cops involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭ILoveShoez

I really hope that the little dog survives:(

And stop debating about what dogs are and are not dangerous. This is not the post to put your views across as everyone is going around in circles, blaming.

Well done OP for doing your best!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

ILoveShoez wrote: »
    And stop debating about what dogs are and are not dangerous. This is not the post to put your views across as everyone is going around in circles, blaming.

Cop on. There is a debate about what type of breeds are safe and what type of people are capable of owning them. There is definite blame to be dished out here on the dog's owner, and steps need to be taken to ensure that incidents like this don't happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Turns out the dog in question attacked another dog the day before the attack on broad street.Some girl was talking about it on the waterford animal welfare page on facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I have 3 staffs, the oldest sleeps in the bed with me and the other two on a mattress on the ground, get woken up around half 7 by him lickin me face everyday. I grab him by the face pull him around and put him in headlocks, he's never once snapped. Dogs aren't stupid, they know when their been played with. When my sisters who are young play with any the dogs they never growl or anything. Ive put hard work into all my dogs and they never even tried attacking another dog. They play fight among themselves but once you shout they stop straight away. Weak people bring up bad staffs and pits, they think they have a fearfull dog that it makes em tough! I walk my dogs and there's a lady with two small toy dogs that passes and always bark and go mental and once she let go of one there leads and it attacked my dog and all he did was pin the dog to the ground with the mussel on, once or twice the pup barked back but never got angry. So none of these dogs should be illegal or anything. I love them and their the most affectionate dog you'll ever meet.

Stereotype these breeds all day long but at the end of the day most dog bites are from small toy breeds. Staffs are born without fear or something so its like they've nothing to prove so no need to be aggressive. In the 80's they were the most popular family dog in Ireland and thats a FACT!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 NotSoTall

DaleB91 wrote: »
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I have 3 staffs, the oldest sleeps in the bed with me and the other two on a mattress on the ground, get woken up around half 7 by him lickin me face everyday. I grab him by the face pull him around and put him in headlocks, he's never once snapped. Dogs aren't stupid, they know when their been played with. When my sisters who are young play with any the dogs they never growl or anything. Ive put hard work into all my dogs and they never even tried attacking another dog. They play fight among themselves but once you shout they stop straight away. Weak people bring up bad staffs and pits, they think they have a fearfull dog that it makes em tough! I walk my dogs and there's a lady with two small toy dogs that passes and always bark and go mental and once she let go of one there leads and it attacked my dog and all he did was pin the dog to the ground with the mussel on, once or twice the pup barked back but never got angry. So none of these dogs should be illegal or anything. I love them and their the most affectionate dog you'll ever meet.

Stereotype these breeds all day long but at the end of the day most dog bites are from small toy breeds. Staffs are born without fear or something so its like they've nothing to prove so no need to be aggressive. In the 80's they were the most popular family dog in Ireland and thats a FACT!

+1 here. close friend of mine got himself a staff when we were all about 20(many moons ago!). as we all hung around together we we always in his house and grew very close to the dog. dog was walked for 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the evening, and was extremely well behaved and friendly. You could see the joy in his face whene you came to visit, he'd nearlyu lick you to death!!. anyway, 14 years later and the poor thing has cancer and is on the way out, sad to se her not herself anymore....

Not going to get into the whole breeding arguement as i really don't know enough about dogs to, but i do think that the term breeding refers to PHYSICAL attributes IE. soft bite, strong jaw/shoulders etc. Aggression is a state of mind, be it in a human or a dog, and im not entirely sure this can be passed on through breeding( if my dad is aggressive, does that mean i am? certainly hope not!) this is all speculation, because as is said, i dont know enough about it, its just my opinion, but the owner is the problem here, as he/she is in ALL cases of dogs attacking...

Your so right bull breeds are not naturally aggressive but they are easier to train to be aggressive by scumbags if you get me. I love my new pitbull/ presa mix and she will be raised very well, but I do think if she was raised by a scumbag she could be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Your so right bull breeds are not naturally aggressive but they are easier to train to be aggressive by scumbags if you get me. I love my new pitbull/ presa mix and she will be raised very well, but I do think if she was raised by a scumbag she could be dangerous.
    Exactly.
    My little jack Russell may bite ya but it won't hurt. But your dog will get a bad name because if he does bite he will hurt.
    Can't blame a dog for having strength. If you know what I mean.
    The nicest dog I ever had the pleasure of knowing was a pitbull/American something or other cross.
    Sadly he died last year. He was a in house dog.
    He was pure muscle and looked mean in fairness but he was so friendly. He'd sit on ya looking for a rub as if he was a pup. Fecker mustn't have been to far off about 6-7 stone. Lovely chap poor Tyson.
    Then there a pom down the road. She a little bollox but she don't have the power in her jaws to hurt ya if ya get me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

there is a story about a women in the states who had a bull staff.

she like you use to sleep with the bull staff and everythin because it wasso gentel. the bull staff was the friendliest thing you could ever see.

one night th bull staff had a nightmae(dog owners wont find this funny as they know exactly that this can happen). the bull staff attacked the women in her sleep and ripped half her face clean off. this is a true story and im trying to find a link for it now ill post it when/if i find it.

Staf are bred to be fighters. they are not raised by their owners to fight but instinct has a huge role to play in any PERSONS dna never mind a dogs.

i am a huge dog person i love dogs. but there re certain breeds that should be weened out. certain breeds that where cross bred to be fighter dogs security dogs etc. dogs are not a security alarm and they are certainly not meant for fighting.

what if your bull staff does get agovated(maybe the dog getssick one day and we all know dogs aswell as ourselves can get narky when we are sick) and snaps at one of your sisters..................... a bull staff is designed to latch on and not let go. its a horrible thought mate but these poor animals are cross bred to the degree that they are the dog equivalant to mountain men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

This was my daughters little dog, Pippin, a miniture Yorkshire Terrier, He ended up having to get his leg amputated and also his hip was taken out because it was damaged so much, We got the dog back from the vets yesterday evening and my daughter is still terrified of what happened. Poor little dog was only out for a walk and comes home legless. The pitbull was supposedly a fighting one and was already complained to the Gardai a number of times to which they have done nothing. Just want to try find out who owns this dog and who would leave him roam the streets, its not the first time he has attacked, according to the Guards anyway. Anybody know someone missing a white Pitbull,

marky4 wrote: »
    This was my daughters little dog, Pippin, a miniture Yorkshire Terrier, He ended up having to get his leg amputated and also his hip was taken out because it was damaged so much, We got the dog back from the vets yesterday evening and my daughter is still terrified of what happened. Poor little dog was only out for a walk and comes home legless. The pitbull was supposedly a fighting one and was already complained to the Gardai a number of times to which they have done nothing. Just want to try find out who owns this dog and who would leave him roam the streets, its not the first time he has attacked, according to the Guards anyway. Anybody know someone missing a white Pitbull,

im sure everyone here shares my sentiments when i say im so sorry to hear about this story. its a horrible thing that happened.

im from limerick and back home last year there was an incident similar to this out the back of my grans house. a little dog(cross between yorkshire and a jack russell. cute thing) was left out as always as its a quiet street and usually the local kids are just playing with the little fella. but a bull staff whos owner lives very near was left out one day. the staff tore into the little dog and the little dog played dead. when the bull staff thought the dog was dead it let go. the little fella jumped up quick and ran away but by the time the owner caught up to the little guy and got it to the vet it bled out. its troath was bitten out and its leg was savaged.

when the guards where called the response was simply "what can we do about it??". aparantly the gardai cant do anything other than ask the owner to bring the dog in. this cant be true. surely the owner would be liable even if it was another dog attacked and not a person. does the law really want a person to be hurt or even killed before something can be done??

i say it time and time again these dogs are dangerous. there is nothing stopping them from attacking a person or god forbid a kid. there is a reason why these dogs are illegal in certain parts of the world.

i just dont get why people get these mutts instead of getting a friendly family dog who is lovable.

angry pissed off dog or a lovely friendly dog??????? i know what id go for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

True, The only reason I want to find the owner is to let him know what he done to my dog and also to pay the vet bill because as you can imagine coming to christmas it aint a good thing to happen, Surely there must be something that could be done in regards to the owner. Pippin is ok now but still in shock and not the same friendly dog, scared of everything. But I suppose he is lucky to be alive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Icky Thump wrote: »
    there is a story about a women in the states who had a bull staff.
    I have an equivalent story about an Irish women who was attacked by a 2kg Pomeranian and left with a permanent scar from chin to ear after the dog went mental and attacked her.

The fact is that anecdotes are pointless. Dogs are carnivores, possessing teeth designed to rip flesh. Any dog of any breed can do serious damage if it attacks a person. The jaw strength of these dogs is largely irrelevant for this purpose - the weakest jaw will tear skin from bone just as effectively as the strongest will.
    Staf are bred to be fighters. they are not raised by their owners to fight but instinct has a huge role to play in any PERSONS dna never mind a dogs.
    Instinct and DNA are not inextricably interlinked. Any dog can be conditioned/trained as a fighting dog as effectively as another, but some breeds possess physical and mental characteristics which make them more suitable fighters. Just like a 6 foot, 200lb African is more suited to fighting than a 5 foot, 100lb Asian man.

There is no scientific evidence which suggests that pit bulls or their descendent breeds are any more prone to being violent or vicious than any other breed of dog. Until the 1980's and these dogs were placed on various lists around the world, they were more popularly considered as being family-friendly dogs, fiercely loyal and insanely brave when it came to protecting their family. Most of the "hero" dogs in films during Hollywood's Golden Era were pitbulls or some variant of.
    Indeed, the Staff was known as the "Nanny Dog" to the Victorians as they were widely used for childminding outside the home when the kids would wander off on their own.

The perception that these dogs are more prone to violence against humans is just that - a perception.

The Dangerous Dogs list in the UK was brought in due to public and media pressure on the perceived danger of certain types of dogs when owned by particular sections of UK society. There was no scientific or otherwise rational basis for it other than the fact that scumbags owned the dogs and used them for fighting, therefore they must be dangerous. About as logical as banning Honda Civics because scumbags use them for drifting and rallying, therefore they must be dangerous.
    what if your bull staff does get agovated(maybe the dog getssick one day and we all know dogs aswell as ourselves can get narky when we are sick) and snaps at one of your sisters
    Then they'll get a nip and they'll have the cop on to back off and leave the dog alone. Despite the bull breeds' ability to grip strongly without letting go, they are capable of biting normally like any other dog, and will do so when play fighting or snapping out of irritation or whatever. They don't just latch on to anything and not let go.
    these poor animals are cross bred to the degree that they are the dog equivalant to mountain men.
    This is just an astonishing level of ignorance, I don't even know where to start. A dog is no different to a child. If it's raised properly, it will act properly. If it's mistreated or poorly raised during its formative months and years, it will have behaviourial difficulties.

seamus wrote: »
    I have an equivalent story about an Irish women who was attacked by a 2kg Pomeranian and left with a permanent scar from chin to ear after the dog went mental and attacked her.

The fact is that anecdotes are pointless. Dogs are carnivores, possessing teeth designed to rip flesh. Any dog of any breed can do serious damage if it attacks a person. The jaw strength of these dogs is largely irrelevant for this purpose - the weakest jaw will tear skin from bone just as effectively as the strongest will.

Instinct and DNA are not inextricably interlinked. Any dog can be conditioned/trained as a fighting dog as effectively as another, but some breeds possess physical and mental characteristics which make them more suitable fighters. Just like a 6 foot, 200lb African is more suited to fighting than a 5 foot, 100lb Asian man.

There is no scientific evidence which suggests that pit bulls or their descendent breeds are any more prone to being violent or vicious than any other breed of dog. Until the 1980's and these dogs were placed on various lists around the world, they were more popularly considered as being family-friendly dogs, fiercely loyal and insanely brave when it came to protecting their family. Most of the "hero" dogs in films during Hollywood's Golden Era were pitbulls or some variant of.
    Indeed, the Staff was known as the "Nanny Dog" to the Victorians as they were widely used for childminding outside the home when the kids would wander off on their own.

The perception that these dogs are more prone to violence against humans is just that - a perception.

The Dangerous Dogs list in the UK was brought in due to public and media pressure on the perceived danger of certain types of dogs when owned by particular sections of UK society. There was no scientific or otherwise rational basis for it other than the fact that scumbags owned the dogs and used them for fighting, therefore they must be dangerous. About as logical as banning Honda Civics because scumbags use them for drifting and rallying, therefore they must be dangerous.

Then they'll get a nip and they'll have the cop on to back off and leave the dog alone. Despite the bull breeds' ability to grip strongly without letting go, they are capable of biting normally like any other dog, and will do so when play fighting or snapping out of irritation or whatever. They don't just latch on to anything and not let go.
    This is just an astonishing level of ignorance, I don't even know where to start. A dog is no different to a child. If it's raised properly, it will act properly. If it's mistreated or poorly raised during its formative months and years, it will have behaviourial difficulties.

as ive stated they are a lovely dog and id wish no harm to them. in fact when they are friendly they arethe most friendly dog you can have. the problem is that they are bred to be fighters an because there is so much in breeding with fighte dogs that means they are a bit "99 cent short of as euro" if you get what i mean. they can be intelligent but they have short tempers and when they are agrogavated they can be dangerous.

dna is a big factor in someones/a dogs characther. it can drive basic instinct into doing things out of the ordinary.

so many people say the final last words "i cant believe it. he was such a quiet dog".

i get what you mean about scumbags raising any dog and i agree. but the fact is that you can train a tiger to be a pet but when it rips a pups head off when its just playing you cant take that back

True, The only reason I want to find the owner is to let him know what he done to my dog and also to pay the vet bill because as you can imagine coming to christmas it aint a good thing to happen, Surely there must be something that could be done in regards to the owner. Pippin is ok now but still in shock and not the same friendly dog, scared of everything. But I suppose he is lucky to be alive

There was a white pitbull wondering around barrack street and green street for a few days. It growled at one of my mates but he went over and rubbed her and it didnt bite so obviously was not dangerous to humans.

Unlucky for you if it was a fighting dog, its probably abandoned and finding the owners would be impossible.

btw I feel so sorry for your lil thing, I could just imagine that happening to my king charles :(

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your dog, its a pity some people just dont give a sh*te about anyone or anything.
    You'll probably never find the owner, but just in case you do theres legislation dealing with this type of thing, might also be handy for anyone in the park trying to pull their dog/child/own arm out of a restricted breeds mouth while the owner is "smirking" at them.

Litter Pollution Act, 1997
    Dog related offence.
    22.—(1) Where faeces has been deposited by a dog in any place to which this subsection applies, the person in charge of the dog shall immediately remove the faeces and shall ensure that it is properly disposed of in a suitable sanitary manner.

(2) Subsection (1) applies to a place that is—

(a) a public road,

(b) land forming part of a retail shopping centre,

(c) a school ground, sports ground, playing field or recreational or leisure area,

(d) a beach,

(e) the curtilage of a dwelling the occupier of which has not consented to the presence of the dog in the curtilage, or

(f) such other place as may be prescribed.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of—

(a) a guide dog kept and used for the guidance of a blind person,

(b) a working dog being used—

(i) for the herding of livestock, or

(ii) by a member of the Garda Síochána or the Customs and Excise service in connection with the official functions of the member, or

(c) a dog in such other circumstances as may be prescribed.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.

AND..............................

CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998

Leashing and Muzzling
    5. (1) This article shall apply to every:—

(a) American Pit Bull Terrier,

(b) Bull Mastiff,

(c) Doberman Pinscher,

(d) English Bull Terrier,

(e) German Shepherd (Alsatian),

(f) Japanese Akita,

(g) Japanese Tosa,

(h) Rhodesian Ridgeback,

(i) Rottweiler,

(j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and

to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog), and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

2) A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—

(i) securely muzzled; and

(ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

Identification of ownership of Dogs
    6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.

(2) No person shall in any manner alter, deface, mutilate or render illegible the particulars prescribed under sub-article (1) to be inscribed on a collar to be worn by a dog, or on a plate, badge or disc to be attached thereto, nor shall any person allow a dog to wear a collar, or a plate, badge or disc attached thereto, which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or rendered illegible as aforesaid or upon which the particulars have become illegible.

(3) A breach of any provision of this article shall be an offence to which section 28(1) of the Act applies.

AND...............

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

(2) If a dog worries livestock, the owner or any other person in charge of the dog shall be guilty of an offence unless it is established that at the material time the dog worried the livestock for the purpose of removing trespassing livestock and that having regard to all the circumstances the action was reasonable and necessary.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (2) of this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month, or, at the discretion of the court, to both such fine and such imprisonment.

AND................

27.—(1) Any person who keeps a dog without a licence contrary to section 2 of this Act shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100 in respect of each such dog kept by such person.

Just for info purposes :D

ACV

Hi,
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your dog, its a pity some people just dont give a sh*te about anyone or anything.
    You'll probably never find the owner, but just in case you do theres legislation dealing with this type of thing, might also be handy for anyone in the park trying to pull their dog/child/own arm out of a restricted breeds mouth while the owner is "smirking" at them.

Litter Pollution Act, 1997
    Dog related offence.
    22.—(1) Where faeces has been deposited by a dog in any place to which this subsection applies, the person in charge of the dog shall immediately remove the faeces and shall ensure that it is properly disposed of in a suitable sanitary manner.

(2) Subsection (1) applies to a place that is—

(a) a public road,

(b) land forming part of a retail shopping centre,

(c) a school ground, sports ground, playing field or recreational or leisure area,

(d) a beach,

(e) the curtilage of a dwelling the occupier of which has not consented to the presence of the dog in the curtilage, or

(f) such other place as may be prescribed.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of—

(a) a guide dog kept and used for the guidance of a blind person,

(b) a working dog being used—

(i) for the herding of livestock, or

(ii) by a member of the Garda Síochána or the Customs and Excise service in connection with the official functions of the member, or

(c) a dog in such other circumstances as may be prescribed.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.

AND..............................

CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998

Leashing and Muzzling
    5. (1) This article shall apply to every:—

(a) American Pit Bull Terrier,

(b) Bull Mastiff,

(c) Doberman Pinscher,

(d) English Bull Terrier,

(e) German Shepherd (Alsatian),

(f) Japanese Akita,

(g) Japanese Tosa,

(h) Rhodesian Ridgeback,

(i) Rottweiler,

(j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and

to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog), and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

2) A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—

(i) securely muzzled; and

(ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

Identification of ownership of Dogs
    6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.

(2) No person shall in any manner alter, deface, mutilate or render illegible the particulars prescribed under sub-article (1) to be inscribed on a collar to be worn by a dog, or on a plate, badge or disc to be attached thereto, nor shall any person allow a dog to wear a collar, or a plate, badge or disc attached thereto, which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or rendered illegible as aforesaid or upon which the particulars have become illegible.

(3) A breach of any provision of this article shall be an offence to which section 28(1) of the Act applies.

AND...............

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

(2) If a dog worries livestock, the owner or any other person in charge of the dog shall be guilty of an offence unless it is established that at the material time the dog worried the livestock for the purpose of removing trespassing livestock and that having regard to all the circumstances the action was reasonable and necessary.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (2) of this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month, or, at the discretion of the court, to both such fine and such imprisonment.

AND................

27.—(1) Any person who keeps a dog without a licence contrary to section 2 of this Act shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100 in respect of each such dog kept by such person.

Just for info purposes :D

ACV

Do you got much experience with these dogs and from my experience more of the scumbags nowadays prefer "wolf dogs" malmutes than staffs or bull breeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Do you got much experience with these dogs and from my experience more of the scumbags nowadays prefer "wolf dogs" malmutes than staffs or bull breeds.

Hello,
    In an earlier post on the thread somone mentioned an owner of a restricted breed "smirking" as their dog attacked the posters smaller dog.
    I have no position on dogs really, some like them some don't. I was pointing out the legislation that deals with this area.
    The breed to me doesnt matter, the legislation points out which breeds are restricted and which are not. If you'd like the legislation changed I suggest you lobby your local TD. Until then the law is the law. As in my earlier post.
    By the way, its Have you got much experience with these dogs, not "Do you got..."

ACV

Advertisement