Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horrible incident at broad Street this morning

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

Hello,
    In an earlier post on the thread somone mentioned an owner of a restricted breed "smirking" as their dog attacked the posters smaller dog.
    I have no position on dogs really, some like them some don't. I was pointing out the legislation that deals with this area.
    The breed to me doesnt matter, the legislation points out which breeds are restricted and which are not. If you'd like the legislation changed I suggest you lobby your local TD. Until then the law is the law. As in my earlier post.
    By the way, its Have you got much experience with these dogs, not "Do you got..."

ACV

You know what I meant why bother correcting me when I made a mistake, you think that makes your point more valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

No, the mistake was totally separate.

I wasn't making a point actually.
    I was responding with some information which people might find helpful in relation to dogs in public places.
    Another poster had mentioned their dog being attacked by a restricted breed dog while the owner looked on and smirked.
    I felt the information I provided might have been handy if they or anyone else was making a complaint to the Gardai in relation to such incidents and were in danger of being fobbed off, which is a point other posters have brought up.
    As I wasn't making a point, I don't need to make my point more valid.
    ACV
    Edit: Also, I only referred to National Legislation. There are also local bye-laws to be observed, for instance I know that in Cork County area it is illegal to walk your dog, (any breed), on the public beach without a leash between the hours of 9am and 6pm. (I think they're the times, I might double check that).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

For future reference, Michelle Clancy of the Munster express, feel free to PM people for an official quote rather than taking what I said and making up a quote about it. Is this the first time a thread from boards has made the front page? Fair play to ya for printing the story and making people aware but people on here would be more than happy to officially comment in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm sure Dermot loves us getting a story too.

Did we at least get a mention?

Nope.

Seriously, we have no problem in you using boards for a story...but contact us for a quote instead of making one up based on what we have posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

News and star would mention us :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

hi, don't want a row starting about whether these dogs are vicious or not, just saying that this particular one was and i hope he gets put down because wouldn't want anyone else's dog have this torture done

marky4 wrote: »
    hi, don't want a row starting about whether these dogs are vicious or not, just saying that this particular one was and i hope he gets put down because wouldn't want anyone else's dog have this torture done

You didnt but other people did :D

Ya I really pity your dog shame to see any dog get hurt really badly, How is the dog getting on now. Makes me consider maybe getting pet insurance for my two.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Nope.

Seriously, we have no problem in you using boards for a story...but contact us for a quote instead of making one up based on what we have posted.

And there was me giving out about a KK paper for their incorrect use of the word their. The type of behaviour exhibited by the Munster Express is a whole different league of lazy journalism. Absolutely incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

ziedth wrote: »
    I'm sure Dermot loves us getting a story too.

Did we at least get a mention?

Yep and he doesn,t agree with this sort of thing apparently!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This was my daughters little dog, Pippin, a miniture Yorkshire Terrier, He ended up having to get his leg amputated and also his hip was taken out because it was damaged so much, We got the dog back from the vets yesterday evening and my daughter is still terrified of what happened. Poor little dog was only out for a walk and comes home legless. The pitbull was supposedly a fighting one and was already complained to the Gardai a number of times to which they have done nothing. Just want to try find out who owns this dog and who would leave him roam the streets, its not the first time he has attacked, according to the Guards anyway. Anybody know someone missing a white Pitbull,

Really sorry to hear about Pippin's injuries. Hopefully over time he will get back to something like his normal self. And likewise I hope your little girl will get over what happened. No child should have to witness something like this. I hope the owner is found and prosecuted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭marky4

can the owner definitely be prosecuted and what would happen to him if he was found. ah Im sure he will get better than he is now but won't be the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

can the owner definitely be prosecuted and what would happen to him if he was found. ah Im sure he will get better than he is now but won't be the same!

If you did find the owner, and could prove beyond a reasonable doubt who the owner is, then you could make a written complaint to the gardai including the owners name and address, and the fact that the dog in question was loose on the street, without identification, not under effectual control etc etc, as in the legislation I posted earlier. Theres various fines and terms of imprisonment involved.

ACV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

The pitbull was caught anyways. The ****ehawk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

How about a scan of the article? The Munster only give a bit of the article online.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Just look at abouttobebanned's posts and add about two other words and you're pretty much there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

so has the dog been found ? , its disgusting that a vicious animal like that is on the streets , and please, Pro pitt bull/staff owners, dont start spouting on , you say these type of dogs are not all dangerous , but when one decides to turn nasty , or lets say for instance, a westie turns nasty , (which is the breed of dog which was attacked i think), i certainly know which one id fancy my chaces with , at the end of the day , these breed of dogs have the potential to kill humans and need to be controlled, and in my opinion removed from irish society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

daftdave wrote: »
    so has the dog been found ? , its disgusting that a vicious animal like that is on the streets , and please, Pro pitt bull/staff owners, dont start spouting on , you say these type of dogs are not all dangerous , but when one decides to turn nasty , or lets say for instance, a westie turns nasty , (which is the breed of dog which was attacked i think), i certainly know which one id fancy my chaces with , at the end of the day , these breed of dogs have the potential to kill humans and need to be controlled, and in my opinion removed from irish society.

You have the potential to turn nasty and kill a large number of humans in a short period of time. Should you be removed from Irish society?

I'm not trying to be smart but, seriously, follow that sentiment through and see where you end up. As I've said, there needs to be tighter control of these dogs in terms of who owns them etc but to get rid of an entire breed of dog is extremely narrow-minded IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

daftdave wrote: »

Agreed, no controls at present

Max Powers wrote: »
    Agreed, no controls at present

There is controls but only people who will follow them are decent law abiding people. You can put as much legislation in as you want but the people who are breeding the dogs for fighting are not going to listen, so why punish the law abiding people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

I don't want to go into another debate on whether or not these dogs are dangerous, threatening, or should be banned all together but on this site there seems to be a serious amount of ignorance or else stupidity. Most common dog bites in Ireland come from....... Cocker Spaniels followed by Dachshunds, they suffer from a thing experts call ''Small Dog Syndrome''.

Im sorry to hear about your dog Marky4, but please don't let this one dog give all of them a bad name. That particular dog, is known among Staff and Pit owners around Waterford and unless something is done an attack on a human will happen, soon! But again the owner brought it up to fight so that dog knows to attack like your dog knows to sit so it comes back to the trainer.

In a response to someone here who said if my sisters did go near the dogs when they were sick or angry, firstly my sisters know my dogs better then me nearly so they know what way the dogs behave and secondly, any dog won't just lunge into an attack like you see in movies, they show signs of frustration, anger or sickness.

The legal part of Staffs and who can and cannot own them should be looked into a bit more as they have the potential to do damage..... But wait, a Cocker Spaniel is more likely to attack, quick someone stop John Gilligan owning one. A dog will act on how its been treated, rewarded and brought up just like anyone on here typing a response. Obviously alot of people are after been brought up small minded or decided that was the best choice for them because they can drive their 7series bmw and own a house in Kings Channel and thats their reward.

Basically I ask anyone and invite them to call into the local pound, ask to see a Staff Terrier or Pitbull and see how loving the dog will be towards you. 99% of them are nice, loyal and loving dogs just like 99% of people.

Seems to be most of the people defending the staffs are owners themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Maybe because the owners are the only ones who really know what there like, everyone else is saying what they've read on the newspaper or seen on television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Never had any problems with staffs meself. It's really bad what happened marks dog but thankfully it will be ok.

Any dog can try to be vicious it's just different with staffs because they have the strength to hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

seanybiker wrote: »
    Never had any problems with staffs meself. It's really bad what happened marks dog but thankfully it will be ok.

Any dog can try to be vicious it's just different with staffs because they have the strength to hurt.

Very true, I am a student studying entry into Veterinary Nursing and one of our modules is Animal Grooming. Our tutor has warned us to be careful with all the dogs that come in, but especially the little ones though. We had a Yorkie in this week and that dog was seriously not for the faint of heart. The problem with staffs, pitbulls, Rottwielers is not that they are viscous by nature its that when things do go wrong they are the ones that can really do the damage, particularly with their jaw strength it really has to be seen to be believed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

put a human being with a staff and the staff loves it, staffs love people but they hate other dogs and will attack at the slightest thing. this is why these dogs need to be muzzled at all times when meeting other dogs. it's just the way this breed is. they are very affectionate with humans though. I am not a staff owner but my friend has one.

Advertisement