Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barbaric- Fury at big game hunter’s exotic haul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

SteveDon wrote: »
    What is the problem here really, the animals aren't endangered so who cares really? Complete non-story.

Dont think i could do it myself, but who am i to judge someone if they want to kill an elephant and eat it. It would be hypocritical of me considering all the meat i eat.

Its human nature to hunt. Its human nature to eat meat.

Get over it, or go marry a swan or something.

Humans aren't endangered, should it be acceptable to hunt and kill them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,551 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The people who say doubt eat much get on my nerves , if we didnt eat meat and butcher animals , i doubt we(as in humans) would be around today.

hunting them for sport or so you can an animals stuffed head on your wall is a different matter which i dont agree with.

irishgeo wrote: »
    The people who say doubt eat much get on my nerves , if we didnt eat meat and butcher animals , i doubt we(as in humans) would be around today.

hunting them for sport or so you can an animals stuffed head on your wall is a different matter which i dont agree with.

Fair point, but we don't need to do it anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Hunting was often popular in the past for recreational pourposes.

Klling an animal with a sniper rifle, from a few hundred yards away is not the same as the old style hunting.

What he's doing is taking potshots at an animal from a safe distance, because he know's he'd get killed or hurt if he actually took it on properly, like the real hunters used too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

ItsAWindUp wrote: »

We do that anyway dont we.

Fair point, but we don't need to do it anymore.

if the human population didnt eat meat of any kind, what to you expect it to survive on?

we cant feed the population we have as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 749 ✭✭✭SteveDon

Obviously not, we are above animals. And we are even the masters of certain species of animals.

Survival of the fittest.

Animals are useful to us. The world is our oyster, we are the top of the food chain. Get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭thisguy

What is the problem here really, the animals aren't endangered so who cares really? Complete non-story.

Dont think i could do it myself, but who am i to judge someone if they want to kill an elephant and eat it. It would be hypocritical of me considering all the meat i eat.

Boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

if the human population didnt eat meat of any kind, what to you expect it to survive on?

Have you ever heard of vegetarians? They're strange people who manage to survive without eating meat.

We can't feed the population we have because food isn't distributed based on need, but on wealth. Nevertheless, we could have even more food for humans if we didn't feed billions of animals every year only to ultimately kill them, along with more land.

• Advertisement

Have you ever heard of vegetarians? They're strange people who manage to survive without eating meat.

We can't feed the population we have because food isn't distributed based on need, but on wealth. Nevertheless, we could have even more food for humans if we didn't feed billions of animals every year only to ultimately kill them, along with more land.

heard of them strange people all right but are they getting all the essential nutrients and minerals need to for a healthy body?

thats doesnt make any sense, we would not have more food for humans if were not killing animals. we could technically grow more plant food (rice etc) but would it be enough to replace what food we lost when we stop eating animals. i doubt that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Winty wrote: »
    I will show them how to kill an animal with compassion
    At least if you're spouting sh1t make it some bit logical.

That thing you plan for your daughter is completely pointless but kudos for bigging it up on the net to look like the maaan.

Hunting for no reason is just power wielding by arsey elites. What kind of sick fuk would enjoy the sight of a fox running in terror for several miles. Inbred ****ing toffs...

And animals eat meat so I don't follow the meat-eating counter argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

That may have been the case in the past, but now the only reason that most people eat meat is for the pleasure of it. So it's hypocritical to moan about hunters, whilst you're perfectly happy to stuff your face with a yummy beef burger.

As a poster below points out, if the world turned over to vegetarianism en masse, there'd be more food to go around, and there's be a large reduction in CO2 emissions. So, not only is an entirely vegetarian humanity entirely feasible, it'd probably be better for the planet. It's not much fun though, which is why the likes of you and me stick to our carnivorous diets.

Amen to that! :D

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Klling an animal with a sniper rifle, from a few hundred yards away is not the same as the old style hunting.

What he's doing is taking potshots at an animal from a safe distance, because he know's he'd get killed or hurt if he actually took it on properly, like the real hunters used too.

Well as I'd said, eventually the species we hunt will either die out (As before) or adapt to counter our ability to outhunt them (as before)

Dudess wrote: »
    At least if you're spouting sh1t make it some bit logical.

That thing you plan for your daughter is completely pointless but kudos for bigging it up on the net to look like the maaan.

Hunting for no reason is just power wielding by arsey elites. What kind of sick fuk would enjoy the sight of a fox running in terror for several miles. Inbred ****ing toffs...

And animals eat meat so I don't follow the meat-eating counter argument.

Oh come off it Dudess, and stop building your straw men. They might be satisfying easy to tear down, but it's a dishonest form of argument. You know as well as I that hunting is a pastime enjoyed by all sectors of society, from the disadvantaged to the extravagantly wealthy. There's a council estate just down the road from me, and many of them own own guns for hunting. Arsey elites that they are.

Its human nature to hunt.
    For no reason other than the sake of it? Doubtful....

• Advertisement

heard of them strange people all right but are they getting all the essential nutrients and minerals need to for a healthy body?

That would depend on the individual's diet. The point is they can.
    thats doesnt make any sense, we would not have more food for humans if were not killing animals. we could technically grow more plant food (rice etc) but would it be enough to replace what food we lost when we stop eating animals. i doubt that.

As I said already, the animals we farm have to be fed up until they are slaughtered. This food could be eaten directly by humans instead and would far outweigh what would be lost by no longer eating meat. In the case of livestock which eat food inedible to humans, the land could be used to grow food which is, or indeed anything else for which we need land. The fact is we use more land for feeding animals than for humans. That doesn't seem right to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Look at the number of africian elephant, Zimbabwe - +85,000
    Botswana - +150,000
    Namibia - +10,000
    South Africa - +12,000
    Zambia - +15,000

A few kills will add much needed money to the local economy and thus help to stop illegal poaching of young bulls, as only the older elephants past the breeding age get hunted.

Win Win IMO

I remember that little runt from Go Daddy shot an elephant a few months ago. Some quick googling resulted in me reading this article.
    http://www.aolnews.com/2011/04/01/zimbabwe-conservationist-responds-to-godaddy-ceos-elephant-hunt/

Sumarised as

Zimbabwe inflates its elephant figures. Official figures are inaccurate. The locals see very little of the money generated by these big game hunters. Most of it goes to the park staffers and officials.

Elephants operate in family units like humans. Killing a member of the family unit will traumatise the rest of the unit making them more likely to react aggressively in future human interactions.

African elephants are a vulnerable/threatened species. What happens when it is not just fat elderly white men looking to hunt them? What happens when Chinese, Indian and Russian billionaires decide that it is good sport and that they should hunt them as well? Sure we might as well allow a bigger quota and a then bigger quota and then........

What are you gonna say then when we over farm and exhaust the land and we can't grow anymore plants? And driving plants to extinction.

It is human nature to use ones brain too; at least it is to most people. Most people's brains tell them that hunting elephants and hippos is inherently wrong. Justifying it by throwing a few shillings at desperate locals is morally reprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Pedro K

What about fishing? Is that barbaric?

• Advertisement

Drake66 wrote: »
    It is human nature to use ones brain too; at least it is to most people. Most people's brains tell them that hunting elephants and hippos is inherently wrong.

If hunting elephants and rhinos is inherently wrong, then surely the same applies to hunting deer or rabbit in Ireland? Or having cows slaughtered for your dining pleasure?

It is human nature to use ones brain too; at least it is to most people. Most people's brains tell them that hunting elephants and hippos is inherently wrong. Justifying it by throwing a few shillings at desperate locals is morally reprehensible.

No, thats not their brain.. Thats societys backwards views that defy human nature because its 'imoral'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Anyone interested in this issue one way or the other should check out Louis Theroux's African Hunting Holiday

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1285125/

No, thats not their brain.. Thats societys backwards views that defy human nature because its 'imoral'
    It's not human nature to hunt for no reason - if so, why aren't we all feeling the urge to do it. Keep telling yourself that though to feel better.

Einhard wrote: »
    If hunting elephants and rhinos is inherently wrong, then surely the same applies to hunting deer or rabbit in Ireland? Or having cows slaughtered for your dining pleasure?

Your logic is absolutely flawed. Stop comparing apples with oranges. Deer and rabbits are not endangered species/threatened with extinction.

It's not human nature to hunt for no reason - if so, why aren't we all feeling the urge to do it. Keep telling yourself that though to feel better.

It's human nature to seek an adrenaline rush. Some people get it through extreme sports, others by just watching such sports, and others get it through hunting. I wouldn't hunt myself, but I don't think one can condemn people for killing for pleasure when you have other people kill animals for your pleasure.

Really we dont? Then why, for all our time on this planet have we hunted other beings, both other animals, and other humans.

It's not much fun though, which is why the likes of you and me stick to our carnivorous diets.

Salads and soup every day isn't much fun, but trying new foods is and means you're more likely to stay away from meat. I have a much more varied diet since I gave it up and my meat-loving housemate is far more interested in his food due to my influence and is very happy about it.

Your logic is absolutely flawed. Stop comparing apples with oranges. Deer and rabbits are not endangered species/threatened with extinction.

You condemned the killing of elephants and rhinos out of hand. Given the nature of the thread, it's not unreasonable to have thought that you did so from a morally absolutist position, ie that all such hunting, whatever the circumstances, was immoral and wrong. That's what i was responding to.

If that's not your position, and you don't have a problem with killing magnificent fauna that aren't endangered, fair enough- I'd endorse that view. Obviously endangered populations should not be targeted by hunters, but as I'm sure you know, there's a difference between an endangered species and endangered population. Targeted hunting of healthy populations does not necessarily put the species at risk, even when the species as a whole is endangered.

Salads and soup every day isn't much fun, but trying new foods is and means you're more likely to stay away from meat. I have a much more varied diet since I gave it up and my meat-loving housemate is far more interested in his food due to my influence and is very happy about it.

Horses for courses as they say. I despise most vegetables. And I love meat. If I had to turn vegetarian, my life would be one of survival rather than living!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's human nature to seek an adrenaline rush. Some people get it through extreme sports, others by just watching such sports, and others get it through hunting. I wouldn't hunt myself, but I don't think one can condemn people for killing for pleasure when you have other people kill animals for your pleasure.

Where the f**k is the adrenaline rush is shooting an elephant through a scope? Presumably with a gang of locals backing you up in case it gets hairy. You want an andraline rush go take it on with some spears.

Most lads I know that hunt just like shooting things that are alive. The shooting out of necessity excuses are mostly bulsh*t

Really we dont? Then why, for all our time on this planet have we hunted other beings, both other animals, and other humans.
    Presuming you're referring to what I'm referring to - hunting for no reason - I don't know. To power-trip it would seem. And it's not we, it's a minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

You condemned the killing of elephants and rhinos out of hand. Given the nature of the thread, it's not unreasonable to have thought that you did so from a morally absolutist position, ie that all such hunting, whatever the circumstances, was immoral and wrong. That's what i was responding to.

If that's not your position, and you don't have a problem with killing magnificent fauna that aren't endangered, fair enough- I'd endorse that view. Obviously endangered populations should not be targeted by hunters, but as I'm sure you know, there's a difference between an endangered species and endangered population. Targeted hunting of healthy populations does not necessarily put the species at risk, even when the species as a whole is endangered.

I don't believe there is a healthy hunting population for either. I don't believe a mafia run state like zimbabwe can be legitimately expected to control property rights over its elephant population.

Horses for courses as they say. I despise most vegetables. And I love meat. If I had to turn vegetarian, my life would be one of survival rather than living!

I get you. I ate everything growing up but in my teens went off most meat absent any moral considerations. I just had an epiphany one day that spurred me on to making a conscious effort to avoid it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

its human nature to kill other humans as well..but we have to control human nature..thats why we have laws.

That is your way and fair play to you but I enjoy hunting and when my kids are old enought I will show them how to kill an animal with compassion and if I had the money I would kill an elephant and enjoy it
    "kill an animal with compassion" hahahaha thats the most contradictory statement I ever heard in my life....pure Irish!!

If anything, its less curel to hunt a wild animal like that then it is to slit the throat of a cow that was raised for our meat, as at least this animal got to live a life!

Thinning the heard can be a good thing at times y'know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The major point and the point thats overlooked by some is that its not necessarily about hunting, the elephant is a threatened species. Hunting a threatend species for fun is not acceptable. The javan rhino is extinct because of hunting. Its not acceptable and this man should be ashamed of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

fking civil servants!!!! :pac:

If anything, its less curel to hunt a wild animal like that then it is to slit the throat of a cow that was raised for our meat, as at least this animal got to live a life!

"Thinning the herd can be a good thing at times yknow" that would be a great defence for a serial killer...but seriously I think Earths great creatures have been thinned enough, dont you think.

In relation to hunting for no reason other than to exert power and be a bully (in a pack) how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I wouldn't mind doing that. Going out to Africa and bagging myself a few tiger and elephant heads to put onto my wall.

It'd be great fun.

Batsy wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind doing that. Going out to Africa and bagging myself a few tiger and elephant heads to put onto my wall.

It'd be great fun.
    Bet you wouldn't like it - but you've an imperialistic old skool toff rep to maintain... ;)

Batsy wrote: »

It'd be great fun.
    why dont you go to Afghanistan instead...its more sporting when the other side also has a chance of winning..or in other words where there is the possibility that your head might be the one that ends up on a wall.

• Advertisement

Who cares. If you disagree, fine. But the media taking a moral stand and trying to ruin a man's reputation is a disgrace and is irony at it's best. He hunts for sport, they hunt for profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Anyone who wants to hunt a endangered animal should be kept away from animals. If you like hunting fair enough but hunting a animal near exticntion is pretty messed up thing to want to do.

Who cares. If you disagree, fine. But the media taking a moral stand and trying to ruin a man's reputation is a disgrace and is irony at it's best. He hunts for sport, they hunt for profit.

He doesn't deserve a reputation.

Bambi wrote: »
    Where the f**k is the adrenaline rush is shooting an elephant through a scope? Presumably with a gang of locals backing you up in case it gets hairy. You want an andraline rush go take it on with some spears.

First off, sorry about your mother! :D

Secondly, just because you or I mightn't experience doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that others don't. I don't see the point in running races across deserts and other inhospitable environments, but I'm not so arrogant as to believe that just because I don't "get it" then nobody could.
    Most lads I know that hunt just like shooting things that are alive. The shooting out of necessity excuses are mostly bulsh*t

Exactly. I agree with you completely. But some posters here condemn this man for shooting in Africa, while presenting Irish hunters as doing it for food. At least you're consistent.
    I don't believe there is a healthy hunting population for either. I don't believe a mafia run state like zimbabwe can be legitimately expected to control property rights over its elephant population.

Yeah I agree with you there. My argument is so much that people should be allowed hunt whatever they wish where they wish, but that hunting isn't necessarily an immoral activity.
    archer22 wrote: »
    "kill an animal with compassion" hahahaha thats the most contradictory statement I ever heard in my life....pure Irish!!

Actually it's not. Most animal rights campaigners would advocate that, if you're going to eat meat, at least ensure that it has as pain free death as possible. I subscribe to that myself as much as I can.
    He doesn't deserve a reputation.

Even a bad one? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Leave him off! Hunting is one of the worlds oldest hobbies! How do they think we survived for thousands of years!

Hell! Its survival of the fittest, they hunt other animals, why can't we?!

I would say that people in the past hunted to survive and not as a passtime. There´s a hell of a difference in the two pursuits. Also, you might want to get a handle on Darwinism before you cite the theory in defence of hunting and killing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement