Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexfords Winter Wonderland

Options
  • 06-11-2011 2:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Anyone know anything about this? Wexford Chamber were tweeting about it yesterday - website to be up next week

"Preparations are well under way for #Wexford's Winter Wonderland!! European Style Market with log cabins, Santa & his elves & much more!!!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

After years of saying we can't do anything in the bullring due to insurance costs and health/safety concerns They are finally doing something in the bullring.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭WexfordWarrior

clap clap clap. I was ranting about this the last few years... its an obvious thing to do in an obvious space, right in the centre of town. should have been done years ago. lets hope this is the start of a more forward thinking group and the things that will enhance wexford will be made to happen.

i seen them in cornmarket during the week starting on the cabins. I hope they will go the whole hog now and make sure there is nice mulled wine to drink on the street, some nice street food and not just crappy brick-a-brack.

well done to whoever finally made the "ballsy" decision to get this finally done!

looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

Did the they give a date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Did the they give a date?
    Winter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

November 24th to December 24th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭thedarkroom

TheChevron wrote: »
    Winter

Winter is a Season, not a date.

I hope there still gonna have at least one big tree in the middle of redmond square or somewhere!!! AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

Report from the people paper today

HO HO HO. It promises to be the most exciting Christmas ever in Wexford town as the Council teams up with retailers to spread festive sparkle.
    A dozen log cabins are being built in the Bullring to create a European-style Christmas market.
    Other attractions in Wexford's Winter Wonderland will include new festive lights, a Santa grotto and a lighting display synchronised with music.
    The market will open every weekend from Saturday, November 26, selling Christmas gifts, brandy coffees, hot chocolate, crepes and farmhouse cheeses.
    Children can deliver their letter to Santa, meet his elves and have family photographs taken.
    The log cabins which will remain in place after Christmas, will cost €2,000 to rent for the month of the market with the profits being used to pay for their construction.
    Regular traders who pay less than that amount for a year, will be accommodated on the other side of the market place, according to Director of Services, Adrian Doyle.
    There will be additional pitches in a marquee depending on demand.
    Instead of buying in Christmas trees this year, the Council has decided to light up all the trees around the town centre and these will be left in place for other special events during the year.
    Mr. Doyle told councillors at a meeting on Monday night that a special effort is being made to 'cut down on the leakage of shoppers during the festive season.'
    Council members congratulated officials and traders on the Christmas campaign.
    'We all know people go where the atmosphere is,' said Cllr. Philomena Roche (FG).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Was there at the weekend and all the cabins are almost built. Better have good stuff in there, authentic things, not plastic sh1t from China

Work in progress. Looks good i think and should be a good laugh once its all finished.

028.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

that does look pretty class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

It's going to be brill, cant wait for it to open!!!

Well done to who it was that came up with this, about time we have somewhere good to bring the kids see Santa!!!

From Wexford Chamber of Commerce Website - (website still not up and running)

Christmas market to warm the heart of Wexford
    Wexford’s historical town centre, The Bull Ring, will host its first ever Christmas Market with a Winter Wonderland extravaganza planned.

Each weekend from Saturday, 26th November to Christmas Eve The Bull Ring will be transformed into a European style Christmas market with festive food, drink and craft on offer. The Bull Ring Market area will be transformed into a festive hub with log cabins selling personalized Christmas decorations, brandy coffees, hot chocolate and crepes. Food lovers will be delighted to see a Fromagerie selling farmhouse cheeses from Ireland.

The festivities will see a Santa’s Grotto open where children can hand deliver their letter to Santa, meet his Elves and capture the memory with family photos with Santa. The organisers of Wexford Winter Wonderland have developed a unique system to ensure that queuing will be kept to a minimum.

A light to sound musical show will see trees in The Bull Ring twinkle and dance with Disney characters and Elves brought to life by Wexford Pantomime Society.

A special opening ceremony taking place on Saturday, 26th November from 1.30 pm will see Santa and his Elves travel over Wexford bridge and around the town before arriving in The Bull Ring at 3.30 pm when Wexford’s Christmas lights will be officially switched on, formally welcoming Christmas cheer to Wexford.

A spokesperson from the Wexford Retailers Group said, “We are delighted to bring a very special Christmas to Wexford which will provide children and families with a lot of fun and great memories. Behind all the fun and festive cheer is a serious message to encourage people to shop in Wexford town, to support local jobs and businesses with our custom at this time of the year.”

An estimated 1000 people are employed in the retail industry in Wexford, to protect these jobs Wexford Borough Council are supporting a ‘Save our Jobs’ campaign which will see shops displaying stickers and staff wearing badges urging customers to support local jobs by shopping at home this Christmas.

For further information on the Christmas Market a website www.wexfordwinterwonderland.ie will be launched shortly or call Wexford Chamber on 053 9122226. You can follow what Santa and Elves are up to on twitter @WexWinterLand

Whaty'all think of the WWW ? Was there at the weekend and thought it was good, not a lot in it but nice to stroll through. Some different stuff in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

love it there. they should find some way of utilising it all year, however, the rent for each cabin is a bit steep imo. 2100 euro a month:(:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was a little disappointed TBH. It's nice to see they have made an effort and I know it is only the first year, but I expected to see more crafts and gift ideas, things you couldn't find in the shops.

Don't know if you've been to the temporary craft display in the old Coleman Doyle hardware shop down on South Main Street but there's some really nice ideas for gifts in there, I had no problem picking out gifts for 3 people, where as up at the Bullring I couldn't even find anything for myself and I really wanted to support it. When I asked the stall holders down in the shop on S Main Street why they weren't up in the Winter Wonderland, the answer was that the stalls are too expensive for them to afford.

Not sure if there's a solution to that as I'm sure there are costs is setting something like this up but I'd like to see if there was a way they could accommodate some of these 'smaller' businesses.

Don't get me wrong, at least they took the initiative and I did enjoy walking through the place and enjoying some of the food, but I see little value in some of the existing retailers like Greenacres having a stall when you can just go to their shop a few minutes down the road.

I've heard from a mate down there that they'll be leaving them in situ all year round, they won't be costing 2100 per month as suggested, they be able to be rented on a short term basis. It's about time they did something with that area all the same, and in fairness at least they are trying something for Christmas etc, better than doing nowt like a lot of places around the country.

Anybody know if they've actually done anything with these? Anyone moving in to the huts?

Advertisement