Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost key to ISEO lock

• 06-11-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I've got those ISEO locks on my doors that you turn the handle up, turn the key and the door locks. I've lost the only key to one of them and need to know is there any way to (1) get a new key, or failing that, (2) remove and replace the barrel without calling a locksmith.

Thanks for any advice (apart from 'Be more careful with your keys' :cool: )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

renga wrote: »
    I've got those ISEO locks on my doors that you turn the handle up, turn the key and the door locks. I've lost the only key to one of them and need to know is there any way to (1) get a new key, or failing that, (2) remove and replace the barrel without calling a locksmith.

Thanks for any advice (apart from 'Be more careful with your keys' :cool: )

Without the key it will be tough to do as there is a little lever that engages in the frame which stops the barrel being removed without the key:)

There is a long bolt through the side of the barrel holding it in place also: u should see that when the door is open: if the door is locked shut then you have a bigger problem.

The barrel can be drilled out with a steel drill bit, using slow speed, from both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 renga

Thanks very much for that info, Carlow52. Yeah, I didn't mention that the door is locked shut :( I'm thinking locksmith at this stage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

A lock smith should be able to open the door for you anyway, maybe even without drilling (some ISEO barrels can be opened with a bump key). Then you just need to replace the barrel :)

Thanks, TV. I'll need to track one down in this neck of the woods (WX/WW/CW borders) first thing amárach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Buy a Bump key, they are about £8.50, They will unlock your door then you can replace your lock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pyromania

where can you buy a bump key how do they work

You can buy them in lots of places, I got some things from this company uklockpickers.co.uk, the bump keys are on the left hand menu, 3rd down in the categories, then your key is the 6th key on the top row at £8.
    They were good to deal with,
    They have youtube videos showing how to use them.
    Basically you just put the bump key in the lock and give it a "bump" and there you go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭creedp

You can buy them in lots of places, I got some things from this company uklockpickers.co.uk, the bump keys are on the left hand menu, 3rd down in the categories, then your key is the 6th key on the top row at £8.
    They were good to deal with,
    They have youtube videos showing how to use them.
    Basically you just put the bump key in the lock and give it a "bump" and there you go.

Is it really that simple? Why do we bother with locks if for €8 they can be opened without the key?

creedp wrote: »
    Is it really that simple? Why do we bother with locks if for €8 they can be opened without the key?

Yes it's that simple..It might take 5 mins to open a door the first time or two, but once you have the "knack" its very quick.

It makes you wonder doesn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

There are locks you can buy that can't be bumped, so when replacing yours ask the company or shop you are buying the replacement from about the security of the lock.

Sadly it's all down to the initial cost of the lock, very few door manufacturers / suppliers are too concerned about how expert the local thieves are in bumping locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

If you can't wait to get a bump key you could always go down the road of snapping the barrell. This is very quick and easy to do. Just search for "snapping euro cylinder" on You Tube and you will see videos showing how to do this. Once the barrell is snapped, you then just use a screwdriver to rotate the Cam and this allows the door to open.

As you will see it is too simple to break out these cylinders and you should replace the old cylinder with an 'anti-snap' one.

Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Max Moment wrote: »
    If you can't wait to get a bump key you could always go down the road of snapping the barrell. This is very quick and easy to do. Just search for "snapping euro cylinder" on You Tube and you will see videos showing how to do this. Once the barrell is snapped, you then just use a screwdriver to rotate the Cam and this allows the door to open.

As you will see it is too simple to break out these cylinders and you should replace the old cylinder with an 'anti-snap' one.

Hope this helps
    Sometimes the lock snaps at the cam and the cam falls down into the inners of the lock, leading to a bigger problem

Thanks very much for all the excellent advice, folks. I'd already engaged the services of a local locksmith, before reading the last several posts. €40 including a new barrel seemed quite reasonable as I'm 30 minutes drive from the nearest shop.

Advertisement