Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creating a simple iPhone app

Options
  • 06-11-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Hi gang.
    I know nothing about programming but was always curious about how hard it would be to make a simple iPhone app. Just wondering if there was any such software that will do all the programming for you if you just say exactly what you want something similar to web designing where you can get software that will build your website for you. Or Would it be hard to learn how to do any bit of programming for to make an app. Any websites that might help. Thanks very much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

I am messing around with an iOS App for iPhone and iPad at the moment for work. I'm using Adobe Flash CS5.5 to design the app, as it can code in Actionscript 3.0. I don't know exactly how powerful it is in comparison to using the iOS SDK, but it is nice and straightforward to get started in anyway.

You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ImDave wrote: »
    I am messing around with an iOS App for iPhone and iPad at the moment for work. I'm using Adobe Flash CS5.5 to design the app, as it can code in Actionscript 3.0. I don't know exactly how powerful it is in comparison to using the iOS SDK, but it is nice and straightforward to get started in anyway.

You can download a 30 day trial from the Adobe website.

Flash ? What are you going to use to convert it to an iPhone/iPad compatible app ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Well I have it working on my iPad and iPhone right as I speak!

As above, I'm not creating an app in Flash format, Flash CS5.5 has the ability to allow apps to be desinged using "AIR for iOS", as to creata the .ipa file or whatever it is from there. You can choose many of the settings required for iOS, and can specifiy whether what you are designing is intended for iPad, iPhone etc.

It certainly does not have 100% functionality similar to what could be gained through use of the SDK, however for a simple app it is absolutely spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I created an image viewer in flash and then ported it to iPhone, It was very poor performance, which I put down to being a port but I could have been wrong. Just something to keep an eye on I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Maybe it was the size of the images it was viewing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 oledaveoh

To make any Apple standard iOS app, you just need Xcode ( iOS development environment ) and some knowledge of programming, preferably C.

Your only fooling yourself with Flash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 muntschkin

I have to agree that you need Xcode to make iPhone apps. I tried for a long time to make an app on Windows ... It is probably not impossible but I am not sure if it is worth the efforts ...

I personally wish I hadn't wasted my time ...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have a look at LiveCode, its been around for a long time in the Mac world, as the follow on from Hypercard. I've only ever used it for developing database front-ends and utilities on the Mac, so I can't comment on who well it does IPhone/IPad apps, but here are some examples from their case studies.

Advertisement