Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any way OTHER than being a Mature Student?

Options
  • 06-11-2011 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi there. I'm 19 years old and completed my L.C last year. I did the whole course in six months, as a result of falling chronically ill before entering 5th year.

Because of that, I only got 210 points. I'm proud of the fact that I got that, but it's killing me that I can't get into any of my choice courses with it. I feel like a failure.

I've always aspired to get a PhD in Microbiology, more specifically Virology - but the points for the course I wanted to do in Trinity is 415. I don't know if I can wait four years.

Does anyone know if there's any branch courses that can get me into the course within the next year or so, or even another way to get in? I know I'd do really well with the subject, I've been fascinated with it since I was a kid. I just don't want to waste another four years of my life, even if I am still very young.

Thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

OP, would you consider repeating your Leaving Cert? It's only one year extra rather than 4 and it would make things much easier. I don't know of any courses with points that low that would open up the area that you're interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Aara Dalsiel

I actually already did a repeat leaving course. I decided to go into it so I'd get more of the curriculum in one year. I found school excruciating, and I was in it for an extra year due to having to move at short notice - I don't think I could do another year in it.

If I can't find a way to get into it, I'm considering going to the UK. Mature students there only have to be 21, so it'd be a two year wait rather than four. I'd just rather not leave all my friends behind. ^^;

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

You need to be at least 21 for fetac courses to be considered a mature student not sure maybe its 23. You need to at least be 23 or over to be considered a mature student for college courses in uni's and IT's. Not sure what the age restriction for mature student is in the UK and NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

You can get into a PLC, a good few have linkes to nearby colleges, allowing you to move up.

Advertisement