Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity or UL for engineering?

• 06-11-2011 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭

I'm absolutely certain I want to do engineering. I adore maths, particularily solving problems and I love the type of stuff we do in Applied Maths.
    But I'm torn as to where I want to study it. I've narrowed it down to Trinity or Limerick.

Limerick has the coop, which is brilliant. They give you lots of opportunities to study abroad not just in Europe. (I'd love to study abroad, but it would have to be in a place where they speak English as I've spent 6 years dying to dispense of foreign languages.)
    They also have plenty of student accomodation, which is definitely where I want to stay. (Stayed in it for a week last summer for math camp and it was really really nice.)
    The main problem is the fact that that you have to choose which area of engineering you want to go into before you do the course, and I don't know which one I want to do yet, I'd really like to try them out and see which one suits.

In Trinity on the other hand, you do general engineering for 2 years, which would allow me to get a feel for which one I enjoy the most.
    Also it's in Dublin, which is where I'd really love to study. In addition, it does seem to have a better reputation, but from what I've heard, that doesn't make any difference.
    However, it doesn't do work experience, and the only studying abroad that's offered is to places in Europe where I'd have to speak a foreign language.
    Also, accomodation is really competitive, so there's a good chance I'd end up in digs, which isn't fun from what I've heard.

So sorry that this is so long, but does anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

The first year of engineering in UL is common to all the engineering courses, and switching between them at the end of the first year usually isn't a problem. Even a good chunk of the subjects in second and third year are common too, so it's only really the final year that is different for each course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

If I were you, I'd pick UL out of those two. The co-op sounds fantastic, and 1st year is common no matter what engineering course you do. Loads of on-campus accommodation is a big plus too. I've seen some of the engineering facilities there and they look great. I can't really offer any advice about Trinity because I don't know too much about it, but if I was doing engineering next year, I'd probably go for NUIG or UL. Galway's engineering building is brand new and probably the best in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Moved to the main LC forum.

amymak, you might be able to find some information about the courses in the Trinity and UL forums.

Advertisement