Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student and the fees involved

Options
  • 06-11-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I'm giving serious thought to going back to college as a mature student next year and have a few questions in relation to the fees involved

I'm 22 at the moment, soon to be 23. Upon finishing my leaving cert in 2007 I went straight into a level 8 course in DIT. I ended up leaving the course in December to become a carer for a sick family member and continued to do so until the following September. I went back to 1st year of the same course again(paid full tuition fees)

After xmas of that year I decided the course simply wasn't for me even though I had passed 5 out of 6 of my exams( I know, I was stupid!). From there I went on to work full time for 2 years but it now looks like I will be made redundant in the very near future

I am just writing to see what would I have to pay if I was to go back to a course as a mature student? I don't have the CAO points(I got 300) to do the course I really want to apply for so thats why I cant go through the traditional CAO system

I remember reading somewhere(this could be completely wrong) that you are entitled to four years of free third level education(excluding registration fees)

Would this mean that if I was to be successful in obtaining a position in a course as a mature student, I would have to pay full tuition fees for my 1st year but then have 3 years(assuming it’s a 4 year degree) free education as I have only received 1 year of free third level education?

I'd really appreciate some info on this if anybody could help me out

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Hi folks,

I'm giving serious thought to going back to college as a mature student next year and have a few questions in relation to the fees involved

I'm 22 at the moment, soon to be 23. Upon finishing my leaving cert in 2007 I went straight into a level 8 course in DIT. I ended up leaving the course in December to become a carer for a sick family member and continued to do so until the following September. I went back to 1st year of the same course again(paid full tuition fees)

After xmas of that year I decided the course simply wasn't for me even though I had passed 5 out of 6 of my exams( I know, I was stupid!). From there I went on to work full time for 2 years but it now looks like I will be made redundant in the very near future

I am just writing to see what would I have to pay if I was to go back to a course as a mature student? I don't have the CAO points(I got 300) to do the course I really want to apply for so thats why I cant go through the traditional CAO system

I remember reading somewhere(this could be completely wrong) that you are entitled to four years of free third level education(excluding registration fees)

Would this mean that if I was to be successful in obtaining a position in a course as a mature student, I would have to pay full tuition fees for my 1st year but then have 3 years(assuming it’s a 4 year degree) free education as I have only received 1 year of free third level education?

I'd really appreciate some info on this if anybody could help me out

Thanks
    You will have to pay first year fees again , unless you wait and take advantage of the second chance rule where if its five years since you last attended 3rd level unsuccessfully , you may apply for grant and paid fees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭yerraya

You will have to pay first year fees again , unless you wait and take advantage of the second chance rule where if its five years since you last attended 3rd level unsuccessfully , you may apply for grant and paid fees again.

second chance rule? :confused:i I never heard of this I'm assuming it doesnt apply to grants? if so the grants office will be getting a serious er burning off me! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Taken from citizens information website

"In general, you will not get a grant for repeating a year or attending a course at a level that does not represent progression from what you have done before. These conditions are specified in paragraphs 14 to 17 of the Student Grant Scheme 2011 (pdf). However, ‘second chance students’ may be eligible for a grant. A ‘second chance student’ is someone who is aged over 23, did not successfully complete an earlier course and is returning to pursue an approved course after at least 5 years."

Advertisement