Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentaxian. Anymore Pentax owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭the_tractor

I have the 35mm Ltd. It is brilliant.
    I use it for everything.
    Concerts, portraits, street, it's great.

450 euros seems a bit expensive.
    I got mine for £300, from SRS Microsystems online, just before Christmas.

The FA 50mm f/1.4 is another cracker if you are looking for a AF 50mm.

At f/1.4 the DOF is wafer thin, but it's great to have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I have the 35mm Ltd. It is brilliant.
    I use it for everything.
    Concerts, portraits, street, it's great.

450 euros seems a bit expensive.
    I got mine for £300, from SRS Microsystems online, just before Christmas.

The FA 50mm f/1.4 is another cracker if you are looking for a AF 50mm.

At f/1.4 the DOF is wafer thin, but it's great to have it.

It's a tough choice deciding which lens to get-
    I used to have a 50mm f1.8 but for indoor shots found the focal length too long and that I had to 'step back' often to get shots of my kids.
    So I sold it and bought a Sigma 30mm f1.4 which is great.
    If only that had proper macro capabilities I'd be in heaven.

I'd buy the 35mm limited if it was f1.4 or even 1.8, but it's 2.8.
    I did think of selling my Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and getting a walkabout lens with macro but I like the (slightly) wide angle of the Tamron.

After I've bought a true wide angle lens then I'll have all the lenses that I want. Then I might put the 35mm limited on my list. As they say there's always one more lens to buy.
    The problem with being a Pentaxian is that we're far and few between so it's not easy to borrow one from someone to try out.

It'd take a bit of planning but I think it'd be great to have a photowalk and try to get as many Pentaxians as possible to attend. We could try out each others lenses, would be a great way to see what they're like without having to buy one....anyone else on for this 'sometime'?

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'd buy the 35mm limited if it was f1.4 or even 1.8, but it's 2.8.

Buy it, you won't regret it. f/2.8 is plenty fast enough. The K-x is good at the higher iso ranges, and the K-5 is even better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It'd take a bit of planning but I think it'd be great to have a photowalk and try to get as many Pentaxians as possible to attend. We could try out each others lenses, would be a great way to see what they're like without having to buy one....anyone else on for this 'sometime'?

I'd be in, especially if it's in Dublin. My long Tamron lens could be fun for others to try - I was just checking random old pics yesterday and a few taken with this lens amazed me with their sharpness.
    Another lens I'm looking at ATM is Tamron 17-50mm 2.8, to replace my kit lens. 50mm 1.4 looks sweet, but might be a little redundant with the Tamron in place as they say it's a little soft wide open and I like sharp so would have to stop down anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Buy it, you won't regret it. f/2.8 is plenty fast enough. The K-x is good at the higher iso ranges, and the K-5 is even better.

Yeah, I was tempted by all the 1.4 or 1.8 too, but then I'm used to my kit lenses etc... which are all 5.6 or higher, so I'll appreciate the f 2.8 ! And I find myself climbing up in Iso more and more, it can take it, so why not avail of it.

I just received it today, and stuck it on quickly for a first feel, won't really be able to try it out properly until the week-end, but it's brilliant, and focusing seems quick and easy with the manual "over-ride" thing. I love the angle/frame it gives me, I think I'll have fun with it !

You got a good deal The_Tractor, I was looking all around France, and 450 was the first price, then it was all up from that. Anyway, that's less money than I would have spent on the K-5, so that's ok for me :).

With the new 645 model (hope I got that number right) the K-5s should go down in price within a reasonable time too.

I'd like a Pentaxian meet/walk too, but I'm fairly stuck in my "working full time Mum" life, even more so because Mr Mountains plays music and often goes on tour for 3 weeks at a time, and at those times I get zero free time.

• Advertisement

@moumtainandh: we try to pick a date and location that'll suit 'us' Pentaxians.
    Then let others know and a lot will end up joining I'd imagine.
    The rest of Feb is out for me anyway.

@moumtainandh: we try to pick a date and location that'll suit 'us' Pentaxians.
    Then let others know and a lot will end up joining I'd imagine.
    The rest of Feb is out for me anyway.

Me too :(. Unless it was some week-end, but even so not sure.
    And hubby's going on tour in March, so that's gone too for me... :rolleyes:

But hey, you guys go ahead, if nothing has happened by April, I'll keep an eye on here and keep me updated.

Hi all,
    Hi,
    Very long shot here but worth a try....
    I have a damaged Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens that The Hamster is repairing for me but it won't be in time for a wedding I'm shooting this Thursday.

I'm looking for anything like mine ('fast lenswide angle with a small zoom) that'll cover me for the wedding. I'll also have a 100mm f2.8, 20mm f1.4 and 70-200 f2.8 with me.

It's my first wedding (for a friend) and I'll probably buy a new lens if need be but hopefully can borrow one
    . I've been looking for anywhere that I can rent one from but haven't found anywhere yet. If anyone has a lens that'd do AND are willing to loan it to me I could transfer money as a deposit in advance to you (paypal or whatever you want). I'd also let you borrow any of my equipment in return after.

I'm based in Galway, wedding is in Cork, have free intercomany post from Dublin office to Galway (SAP Citywest to SAP Galway).

Anyway I know it's all a long shot but I'm reaching out in hope....

Cheers in advance,
    Pa.

(sorry for digging up an old thread but this is the best way to reach out to the above people in one go).

Cheers,
    Pa.

Sorry I don't think what I have would suit, I've a 10-17mm but it's not that fast (3.5 I think), and my fastest are a 35mm (one of them limited edition ones, 2.8), and the really cheap and shook 50mm from Ebay that won't focus to infinity.

If you think any of that would help let me know, but I don't think you could do much with the 35mm, no zoom, and although I love the framing, bit limited for wedding !

I only have the kit lens in that range, not really suitable.

Have you tried SRS Microsystems, based in the UK? - they rent Pentax gear.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies everyone.
    I tried SMS but they only rent to NI (their prices are good).

Someone through http://www.pentaxuser.co.uksorted me out for a 16-45 f4 lens and they live in Cork so it'll be convenient for collection and drop off.

Thanks again.

I'm going to propose a photowalk for sometime in Autumn (early Sept maybe) and try to get as many Pentax users along. It'd be nice to meet up, try lenses etc.

That's great, never heard of 16-45 before !
    Photowalk would be good, although in my situation when September comes, I don't get much time to do anything or go anywhere.

[QUOTE=dinneenp;79873732
    Someone through http://www.pentaxuser.co.uksorted me out for a 16-45 f4 lens and they live in Cork so it'll be convenient for collection and drop off.
    [/QUOTE]

I've never used the 16-45, I'm keeping an eye out for one going cheap on ebay, closer to £100 than £200.

Let us know how the 16-45 performs - having the constant f/4 is good, but 16mm is probably a bit wide for people shots, but could be great for shots inside the church.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

7658710100_3624082555_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I had a close encounter with a Pentax Q in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre this evening.

Dinky. Beautiful. Want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

What's your next Pentax want?

Apart from the Q which was just a whim (but i'd still love), I think the next thing that would get me spilling out some euros would be a full frame Pentax dSLR. Ok, the 645d looks very sweet, but eh..., my bank isn't in that league :D

Is anyone else waiting for full frame, or would you just jump to canikon and start out again with full frame being a different piece of kit.

I'm not too bothered about FF.

I'm more into the glass.

I recently got a 12-24mm from ebay.
    It's the Samsung D-Xenon lens, which is the exact same lens as the Pentax 12-24mm - only difference is the badge - they are made in the same factory, and now that Samsung has dropped the Pentax K-AF2 mount, there is probably less interest in them.

Best thing is that I got it for less than 1/2 the price of the Pentax badged lens'.

:-)

No interest in FF either (at the moment)

@the_tractor: what did you pay for the lens do you mind me asking?

Upgrading from my K-7 to a K-5 will be my next purchase.

After that maybe a wide angle lens (10mm or 12mm min.) I have a 17-50mm f.28 but think a true wide angle lens would be nice to try out.

I was thinknig of selling my macro lens (Pentax 100mm f2.8) to finance a wide angle lens. even though I don't use the macro lens much it's nice to have. And very good for portraits (found it very handy at a wedding, less intrusive than my 70-200 f2.8 lens)

I think I've posted already but if anyone lives relatively close to Galway and willing to loan me a wide angle lens they could borrow a lens from me in return.

I might follow up on my earlier proposal to organise a photowalk and try to get as many Pentax owners as possible to go. So we could try each others lenses etc.

I paid just over £300 including the postage - pentax badged ones sell for £600+ used, nearer £800 new.
    Came with the hood, caps, and there is not a mark on it. It's fun to use, takes some getting used to.

The Samsung one is identical in every way.

I paid just over £300 including the postage - pentax badged ones sell for £600+ used, nearer £800 new.
    Came with the hood, caps, and there is not a mark on it. It's fun to use, takes some getting used to.

I don't care if a lens that I have is Pentax or another brand.
    I have 4 lenses and only 1 is Pentax, which I bought at a bargain price from Currys
    (Sigma 30mm f1.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Pentax 100mm macro f2.8).

I think i'd like to get an 18-250/270 lens again at some stage. I used to have one, sold it to finance a lens. Even though it's not quick it's so verstile.

• Advertisement

I don't care if a lens that I have is Pentax or another brand.
    I have 4 lenses and only 1 is Pentax, which I bought at a bargain price from Currys
    (Sigma 30mm f1.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Pentax 100mm macro f2.8).

I think i'd like to get an 18-250/270 lens again at some stage. I used to have one, sold it to finance a lens. Even though it's not quick it's so verstile.

There are a few Samsung 50-200mm going for £70 or less on eBay.co.uk

I have the Pentax 55-300mm and it is great - a bit softer after 250/270 - but great up to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Just got a Pentax Q with 01 Standard Prime & 02 Prime Zoom lenses... Gonna get the the wide angle when it is released. Would like the 06 Telescopic Zoom, but I've got limited use for it... But it'd be cool for taking into the desert dune bashing

There are a few Samsung 50-200mm going for £70 or less on eBay.co.uk

I have the Pentax 55-300mm and it is great - a bit softer after 250/270 - but great up to that.

Same here. I stop around 200mm most times especially for scenery, but it's so handy to have the 300mm scope, I do use it sometimes. I did get a fair bit of chromatic abherration on some shots all zoomed in too.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a Pentax film camera, dirt cheap ? My K-x has to go to ZeroHamster for a bit, but I've no other camera, so I'm toying with the idea of getting a cheap film one and trying it out at that stage (that's if I get a chance to actually go out and shoot anything :rolleyes:).

What do you guys think of this ?
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pentax-SF1-Film-Camera-SF-1-/130764528801?pt=UK_Film_Cameras&hash=item1e722c5ca1

I've actually zero clue how to use a film camera, but I'm thinking I'll just have to try and jump in the deep end... that can only be fun.

There's also MZ-50 and SF7 for same price ??? not a clue what I'm looking at :P

edit : forgot to add, I'd obviously like to be able to use my lenses with it, I do have 2 "old" lenses, a 50mm and a 75-something one (I think it's 105 or 200 or something), but will I be able to use the modern lenses as well, that is, with just manual focus and exposure ?

Hi,
    I've a big favour to ask.
    Anyone able to give me a loan of a Pentax Dslr body for this Saturday?
    My memory card slot is acting up and I can't rely on it.
    If you might be willing just get in touch and I'll PM/call you with more details.
    Cheers,
    pa.

Pa, that's spooky, that's the problem I have with my K-x, the card is stuck in the slot, in my case no pulling it out... for now I'm still using the camera, using the cable to transfer pics to computer, not a great set up though.
    Don't know what I'm going to do about it, have to send it to ZeroHamster, but it's my only camera, and don't want to be left with nothing :(

Hope you find a body for the week-end. (not in a naughty or gruesome way :D)

I very kindly have been sorted out! Thanks.
    Planning in upgrading my K-7 to K-5 as soon as I get fixed. But might have to get a backup Dslr instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wilsixon

Just wanted to introduce myself as another Pentaxian.

I'm an Aussie, but moved over to Dublin in 2011, and then to Ballina in Co. Mayo a few months ago.

Three kids under 4 means I don't get out and shoot as often as I'd like to.

My gear:
    K-5 (though have just taken the side step to the K-30 so my wife can more easily share my camera, with the K-30 being smaller and lighter, so am going to sell the K-5)

FA 43mm f1.9 - love this lens.

DA* 16-50mm f2.8 - this is my everyday workhorse, and love that it's weather sealed so I can make most of the camera's weather sealing too.

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro - just ordered this and waiting for it to ship from the UK. I miss doing macro, and also the portrait abilities of a good macro lens so can't wait for it to arrive.

DA* 60-250mm f2.8 - bought with the intention of nature and sport photography, but I have never really used it so will be selling it soon. Shame on me, because it's a great lens - but I think I'm a sub 100mm kind of guy.

Metz 48-AF1 flash.

I'd love to come along to a Pentaxian photo-walk some time, and am happy to let others try out the above lenses.

Cheers,
    Dave

brookedave wrote: »
    Just wanted to introduce myself as another Pentaxian.

I'm an Aussie, but moved over to Dublin in 2011, and then to Ballina in Co. Mayo a few months ago.

Three kids under 4 means I don't get out and shoot as often as I'd like to.

My gear:
    K-5 (though have just taken the side step to the K-30 so my wife can more easily share my camera, with the K-30 being smaller and lighter, so am going to sell the K-5)

FA 43mm f1.9 - love this lens.

DA* 16-50mm f2.8 - this is my everyday workhorse, and love that it's weather sealed so I can make most of the camera's weather sealing too.

Tamron 90mm f2.8 Macro - just ordered this and waiting for it to ship from the UK. I miss doing macro, and also the portrait abilities of a good macro lens so can't wait for it to arrive.

DA* 60-250mm f2.8 - bought with the intention of nature and sport photography, but I have never really used it so will be selling it soon. Shame on me, because it's a great lens - but I think I'm a sub 100mm kind of guy.

Metz 48-AF1 flash.

I'd love to come along to a Pentaxian photo-walk some time, and am happy to let others try out the above lenses.

Cheers,
    Dave

Welcome on board! Nice kit, very similar to mine- K-7 (but going to upgrade to K-5),27-50 f28, 100mm macro 2.8, 70-200 f2.8 and 30mm f1.4.

I mentioned a while back a photowalk and to try to get as many Pentaxians to go along as possible. Some time in the New Year would be best for me if it's Dublin, if West Coast most weekends could suit.

Won't you miss the top lcd and extra external controls on the K-5? They're the reason I'm going for K-5 (2nd hand) and not the K-30.
    The K-30 is really cheap though- £319 for body only!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wilsixon

I probably will miss some of the extra controls - but not really the top lcd as I usually check settings in the viewfinder.

That K-30 price is excellent - I paid a bit more than that, but am still happy and think it's good value.

Any suggestions on where to sell my K-5 and DA*60-250? Also, opinion on what would be a fair price?

Make sure you post info if you get any photowalk happening.

Any hidden gems for places I should visit down in Galway?

• Advertisement

brookedave wrote: »
    I probably will miss some of the extra controls - but not really the top lcd as I usually check settings in the viewfinder.

That K-30 price is excellent - I paid a bit more than that, but am still happy and think it's good value.

Any suggestions on where to sell my K-5 and DA*60-250? Also, opinion on what would be a fair price?

Make sure you post info if you get any photowalk happening.

Any hidden gems for places I should visit down in Galway?

Hi,
    If you're in Galway any weekend give me a shout.
    Galway is small but some nice areas for photos-
    the docks
    Claddagh
    Diving board in Blackrock, Salthill
    Town in general, the market on Saturday
    Galway Cathedral at night
    Big events- Galway Races, Arts Festival, Macnas
    here's my top ten Galway photos and my general Galway set.

I'll be going to the Greyhound track some Friday or Saturday before Xmas if you're interested.
    4377054238_7c82f923b3_z.jpg?zz=1
    A night at the dogs- Galway Racetrack by Photoblog.ie (Patrick Dinneen), on Flickr

Advertisement