Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentaxian. Anymore Pentax owners out there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

TPD wrote: »
    Recent enough K30 owner here - seems the only difference with the K50 is 2 stops higher ISO? Trying not to be biased, I think I prefer the angular look of the K30.

Quite fond of how the K30 looks myself, may upgrade from the KR to one some time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

A couple of new goodies from the Pentax camp;

HD limited lenses - http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/new-pentax-hd-limited-lenses.html

and

flash units are updated - http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/new-weather-sealed-flashes-by-pentax.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Pentax K5 II for €441 from B&H for Black Friday
    link
    I preusme they only deliver to the USA but if you know anyone living there it's a great, great deal.

I have a few friends living in the USA, if only I had some spare money.

Cheers,
    Pa.

Hi,
    I have a D FA f2.8 100mm Macro which I'm looking to sell or swap (either for a loan period or for good) for a wide angle lens (10mm or 12mm).
    Anyone interested.
    I have an ad in adverts but reaching out here regarding swapping for a while maybe with someone.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Hello Pentaxians, hope ye're all keeping well !

You might remember I have the K-x, and was going to upgrade to K5... but then I didn't.

So I still have my little workhorse of a k-x, but I am going to upgrade this time, was looking at the K-5 iis, and :o as you would expect, came across the K-3, so now I want a K-3.

There are great deals on B&H in US, and Mr M is going there in 2 weeks time, so I think I'm going to go all out and get this great deal with K-3, 18-135 lens, and 1.8/50mm lens all for 1,600 $ or so. I mean, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do things well :p

Thing is, there is a cheaper deal with just the 1.8 lens at 1,250$ or so, and that would allow me to get a battery grip. The genuine Pentax battery grip with all controls (green button, etc...) is more than 200$ !

So my question is : what do you guys think ?

Is it more important to have the battery grip and the 1.8/50mm only, or get the 2 lens and just get a spare lithium battery at 44$ ?

I've never used a battery grip before, and tbh, I shoot a lot of portrait, but have never really huffed and puffed about how to handle the camera. But then again, it's the K-x, so small and tidy and perfectly sized, I might change my mind as regards the bulkier K-3. (small lady's hands too)

Also, the battery grip does hold 6 AA batteries, which I think is a great fall back on option for unplanned occasions.

I just don't know.

Well yeah, I do know I'd love the 2 lenses, 18-135 sounds so versatile, and it's the weatherproof model, but I do have a wide angle already albeit not to 135.
    And I would really love the 1.8/50mm, it was sort of on the card anyway to purchase that some day, as my 50 mm is a cheap Ebay manual one.

I swear I'm not posting this to make anyone jealous (:D:D), I really need help !

So : battery grip, or 2 lenses ?

• Advertisement

I know it's the answer you don't want but you're the only one who can decide!
    Have you wanted a battery grip up until now?

I'd try to borrow a camera (doesn't have to be Pentax) with a battery grip and use it for a day or two.
    I got a loan of a Pentax camera for a wedding and also a battery grip. I tried it for 5 mins (before the wedding) and decided not to use it at all. Obviously it makes the camera much larger.

I upgraded from a K-X to a K-7 and now am on a K-5ii. I have my K-7 as backup/secondary camera.
    I got the K-5ii from B&H too, got a great deal before Xmas

It's personal and depends on what type of photos you take (you menioned portraits). You could consider getting a 30mm f1.4, great for indoors/low light and portraits, 50-135 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 etc.
    For me I'd go with constant big aperture (f2.8) over a more verstile focal length but not constant aperture.

I'd also consider using some of you money to get a slingshot pro rucksack (if you don't have one already) and a blackrapid strap.
    I could also sell you my DFA 100mm macro lens if you want- great for portraits!

spare battery- I know it'd be official but you can pick up a non-pentax spare for peanuts.

Have a look on pentaxuser.co.uk as wellhere and here

Let us know whatever you go with

Thanks for the advice, when I said portraits I meant the layout portrait, not really portraits as a subject yet to be honest. Although that will come I am sure.

I've never really felt the need for a grip with the K-x, and it only works on AA batteries, which I loved.

I have spotted a little backpack that seems to be exactly what I want on b&h, it's only $50 so that's great.

Don't know what's a black rapid strap so I'll check that out.

I think I'm going to go for some extra batteries, but that could still change.

I'm thinking I could always get a grip (:D:D :D) later anyway, if I really felt the need for it.

I have a 35mm special edition lens, it's great but very limited at the same time (macro). I love the 50mm framing, it often feels it's just what I want, even for landscapes, but you're right, maybe I wouldn't use the 18-135 much, I don't know. I already have the 18-55mm kit lens, and the 55-300mm lens, with similar apertures to the ones in the offer, so really it might be a bit pointless.

I'll post on here what I went for next month. :)

Thanks for the links too, will check them out !

Don't know if you've seen this offer k5iis for under 700dollars!

http://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-5-iis-697.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I believe there is also a group on offer for the K500 at $299

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I had an issue with my K30 lately whereby the settings on the dial were messed up. I lost Manual mode, and about 8 points on the dial set the camera to aperture priority. Turning off and on again didn't fix it, but did switch some of the options around, so I had a few ways to get to bulb but still no manual. Entering the options and reverting to factory settings fixed it, but I'm wondering if anyones had anything similar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 streetshooter

Anybody interested in a very nice Sigma 17-70mm f 2.4 lens? Good price?

I have a K30, and it's a lovely robust camera - would definitely recommend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭oinkely

Just picked up my new to me K5ii.

third pentax DSLR - K100D, D20D and now this.

Feckin delighted.

You might remember I have the K-x, and was going to upgrade to K5... but then I didn't.

So I still have my little workhorse of a k-x, but I am going to upgrade this time, was looking at the K-5 iis, and :o as you would expect, came across the K-3, so now I want a K-3.

There are great deals on B&H in US, and Mr M is going there in 2 weeks time, so I think I'm going to go all out and get this great deal with K-3, 18-135 lens, and 1.8/50mm lens all for 1,600 $ or so. I mean, if I'm going to upgrade I might as well do things well :p

Thing is, there is a cheaper deal with just the 1.8 lens at 1,250$ or so, and that would allow me to get a battery grip. The genuine Pentax battery grip with all controls (green button, etc...) is more than 200$ !

So my question is : what do you guys think ?

Is it more important to have the battery grip and the 1.8/50mm only, or get the 2 lens and just get a spare lithium battery at 44$ ?

I've never used a battery grip before, and tbh, I shoot a lot of portrait, but have never really huffed and puffed about how to handle the camera. But then again, it's the K-x, so small and tidy and perfectly sized, I might change my mind as regards the bulkier K-3. (small lady's hands too)

Also, the battery grip does hold 6 AA batteries, which I think is a great fall back on option for unplanned occasions.

I just don't know.

Well yeah, I do know I'd love the 2 lenses, 18-135 sounds so versatile, and it's the weatherproof model, but I do have a wide angle already albeit not to 135.
    And I would really love the 1.8/50mm, it was sort of on the card anyway to purchase that some day, as my 50 mm is a cheap Ebay manual one.

I swear I'm not posting this to make anyone jealous (:D:D), I really need help !

HAS TO BE 2 LENSES!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Does anyone know if Pentax has any full-frame dSLR's as of yet? Iv'e got a K10D and a K20D, but I'd really like to go for something with a full-size (not aps-c) image sensor to get more pronounced depth-of-field effects, and much more noticeable effects from my shift & tilt adapters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not yet. Apparently its in the pipeline

The K-3 was meant to be full frame wasn't it ? or at least there were rumours it was going to be, or something ? or was it Medium frame ?

Also :
    http://photorumors.com/2014/02/05/new-pentax-645d-medium-format-camera-pictures-and-some-rumors/

I am now, today, going to attempt to buy that deal with the 2 lenses, and guess what, since I got in touch with b&h, and explained my main interest was the 1.8/50mm with the K3 body and I would grab other bits if there was a good deal, they have added the grip in the deal ! :eek::eek::eek:

But I'm a bit nervous about the whole transaction since it's a pretty big transaction, and I chatted about a salesperson about shipping/collection over there, and I might have to do it all by email or phonecall... so I'm not in too much of a hurry, shop won't be open for a few hours.

It's ominous though !

Can't wait. I rarely get to go out and take pics these days, but with the new gear, I bet it'll be easier to motivate myself to make the most of every little opportunity.

edit : I have ordered !!!
    (fingers crossed everything goes well, and have to wait till end of month for Mr M's return)

jeanette-aw-crazy-02.gif

Eeeeek !
    Got my new K-3 !

Love it !

It came with a grip (haven't used it yet), SD card, 2 lenses as above, and I got myself a lovely little bag with that for 50$.

Haven't used it a lot yet, but I did get a day and a half in Wexford to try it out a bit, and here's a shot from it
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90102578&postcount=253

Have to figure out a load of bits and pieces on it, but that's exciting.

Already I have noticed that the HDR function on the K-3 is a lot handier to use : can be used with either JPEGs or RAW/PEF, and there are 3 settings (ie light, strong...) + you can change bracketing manually if you so wish. (on K-x HDR was only available in JPEG so you'd have to switch every time)

Focus is a million miles ahead of the K-x, and ... there's a little square in viewfinder to indicate where it is, at last ! (that can still be improved on but it's a progress)

There's a burst mode in remote !

It's easy to handle, still small size so good for me since I'm female and with small hands, 2 sd cards slots ... you can lock the little wheel for the settings, which I love since I used to go mad accidentally spinning it.

I can't tell you much about the different modes since I just use manual all the time, but I will try them.

Haven't even tried the 50mm lens yet, I've had the 18-135mm on all the time, didn't even feel the need for anything else, it's so versatile. But I am looking forward to the wide aperture possibilities.

I took some night shots too, will upload them at some stage, it performed really well, although I did notice something funny around the lights at a pretty closed aperture, I'm guessing this might be the anti aliasing less effect. (I've seen the option to switch the feature back on I think somewhere in menu).

So far I would really, totally recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lillil

For anyone buying in the States, make sure you also get the International Warranty Card stamped by the retailer. I recently got a K-3 and it was DOA, I have the contact details to the Pentax US guy who sent me the warranty card, so that the camera could be repaired in the UK service centre. PM me for details.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 danthenavanman

Hi all,

I am looking to buy a new DSLR and spent last week plowing through forums, website and youtube reviews. I have to say I am leaning towards the Pentax K-3 with a 18-135 WR lense. Competition I have been considering (or still am a little) were Nikon d7100 and Canon EOS 70D. One thing that frightens me is the "crazy mirror issue", some of the early K-3's seem to suffer from that, but when you think of it - 2 years warranty would sort that out. Nikons have their dust on sensor issues and 70D's get mixed oppinions on centre point focusing problems. Reliability aside, i think Nikon D7100 is best stills, Pentax K-3 is almost equal, but better in lots of other aspects, and 70D is a "popular kid in school", quite good and more realiable, but not as good at the same time. K-3 just seems to have a very well thought out user interface too.

Do you guys know a store in Dublin that would stock k-3 kits with free flu card promotion that's on now?

Also would love to hear from happy/unhappy k-3 owners so I can finally make up my mind and sleep at night again!

Hopefully soon to be a Pentaxian,
    Dan

• Advertisement

Hi Dan, as you can see from this thread I only have my K-3 a short while, and haven't got around to sussing out or trying out every aspect of it, but I love it.
    Lots of flexibility, the 18-135 mm is so versatile and such quality I haven't used other lenses much since I got it, for me it completely delivers so far anyway.
    Still very happy with iso performance, focusing, and menu choices.

So far if there is something I would have to say against it, it is maybe that the various wheels are very responsive and that leads me to accidentally switch aperture or shutter speeds some times, but I still prefer them being responsive, it's up to me to stop splattering my fingers around.
    The iso is quick and easy to switch but after the K-x it takes a bit of getting used to (I still get the old controls reflexes).
    I bet you it still has the green button option (assigning green to whatever function/shortcut you like, that's very very handy), but haven't dabbled in it yet. Battery life is excellent compared to my old K-x. I have a battery grip but no spare battery yet, and haven't really felt the need to get one. Having said that I only shoot for fun here and there, for more intensive use of course it would be useful.

Here's a link to recent pics with 18-135mm mostly (some with a Pentax fisheye too), love the crispness and colours, have no filter yet for this lens but it performs really well even in bright sunshine sea situations ! Pics saved at 30% of their quality or something of that order so the pixelating is more due to that than the original pic.
    Practically no processing done to these, this is just how well it performs in night situations, think I adjusted exposure slightly on first one.
    BA24C23A69764EFCB3614F63A9ECC5BB-0000341098-0003597717-00800L-9D3322EF4D7448BC8604A93716A221F1.jpg
    A08D0D7C5FC64F5CACB63778FBFE4CA0-0000341098-0003597712-00800L-1773D7C55DF84693B0FFF1D9B1E18850.jpg
    And look at how well it performs without filter here (again very slight exposure tweaks, really light stuff, colours etc... were there but glare very strong middle of the day bright sunlight) :
    2CF5E0051E9046CF80E4A3E2E53DCABA-0000341098-0003597718-00800L-BA219D56C1804F56BF7E27FAA010D14B.jpg
    F2007B14D67B41F79FA3C49649A1BDA4-0000341098-0003597713-00800L-1693CCD3784B4F819EE1A3A4918337A5.jpg

Hope that helps !

Sorry I don't know where you could get K-3 in Ireland.

Hi Anne,

Nice photos. Very nice...

If I can't get a K-3 it in a local store it's not a huge problem - I'll get it online, I was just thinking local is better for warranty purposes.

I read this morning that Pentax sent back few K-3's that were suffering from "Crazy Mirror Sickness" successfully fixed, so this gives me a great confidence boost and I think I'll just go for it...

I am so surprised to see there seem to be so little Pentax cameras around, their great quality and good value.

danthevanman,
    I have a k5ii and a K20. Both with battery grips and both are excellent cameras. I bought the K20 new, at a reduced price just after the K7 was released and have been delighted with it. Really nice size for my hands with the battery grip, well built and very robust. Image quality is excellent, and though AF is slower than similar era cameras from other brands I never really found it to be too bad. One big bonus that i found was the AF adjustment feature where you can fine tune each lens to the camera to ensure accurate focusing.
    I recently got a lightly used K5ii and it too is a fantastic camera, improved autofucos speed and accuracy, but still the same wonderful handling and ergonomics. The one thing i miss on the K5ii is the dedicated 'shake reduction' lever that is in the K20. You have to go into a menu to turn it off/on.
    I am one happy pentax user......i think they can't be beaten on a price vs features.
    best of luck with whatever you end up getting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

oinkely wrote: »
    danthevanman,
    I have a k5ii and a K20. Both with battery grips and both are excellent cameras. I bought the K20 new, at a reduced price just after the K7 was released and have been delighted with it. Really nice size for my hands with the battery grip, well built and very robust. Image quality is excellent, and though AF is slower than similar era cameras from other brands I never really found it to be too bad. One big bonus that i found was the AF adjustment feature where you can fine tune each lens to the camera to ensure accurate focusing.
    I recently got a lightly used K5ii and it too is a fantastic camera, improved autofucos speed and accuracy, but still the same wonderful handling and ergonomics. The one thing i miss on the K5ii is the dedicated 'shake reduction' lever that is in the K20. You have to go into a menu to turn it off/on.
    I am one happy pentax user......i think they can't be beaten on a price vs features.
    best of luck with whatever you end up getting.

Hey oinkely, if you hold the info button on your camera it gives you quick access to a bunch of options including shake reduction so you don't have to go through the menu. Works with my Q and K-50 so I assume it's a feature on the K5II. Not as quick as a lever but still pretty quick!

thanks zero19, i'll try that when I'm at home later.

I am about to order my K-3, only thing left to make my mind on is lenses. There will be 2 main types of photos I am going to take:

1. Portraits of my own kid and friends kids from 1-1.5 meter away - i'd like a good Bokeh, keep it under 200 euro if possible, maybe smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL?

2. Family portraits from few meters away. maybe smc DA 50mm F1.8, i'l love f1.4 but its expensive.

Maybe there are better alternatives for what I am trying to do, please help. I'l love to get couple good primes for under 500-600

3. Visits to the park, my kids play around with dog etc, random stuff really, so I'm thinking 18-135 kit zoom lens would be grand for that, o maybe if I own two smaller focal lenght primes at that stage I should just go for the cheaper kit with 50-200?

I recently updated my main body to a K3, so now I have a K20D as a backup body, and a K10D that's spare.
    It has the stock 18-55mm lens with it, and I even have the original packaging/manuals/software etc..

I'm thinking of putting it on Adverts and donedeal etc..,

anyone have any clues how much I might get for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Of course, just after I splurged on a K3. Now I'll have to buy another body this year! =O

I'm sure once I have a full-frame, I'll be able to stop whinging. Almost all my lenses are fine for full-frame already, so I'll be laughing!!! My tilt & shift stuff will work even better! Whee!!! :)

Awww, man!! Now I have to wait for months & months until I can buy a new camera body! :/

Anyone need a K10D or K20D? ;)
    AnCatDubh wrote: »

• Advertisement

Anyone has experienced K3 lock up here ? I was just reading about that as mine has been acting a bit crazy at times : it locks up, you can't do anything, and even when you turn it off, it doesn't reset, the display is still showing ! It does restart correctly after a few trys, but that's no comfort when you've missed a shot. Also today it was extremely slow processing shots. I think I may reset it if that's possible, I haven't upgraded software since I have it so might look into that too. Using branded sd cards and genuine battery well charged, although now that I think of it, not sure how accurate the battery display is, since it seems to last forever even when using live view a lot.

Advertisement