Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pentaxian. Anymore Pentax owners out there?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

So far I love my K3. I've not experienced any mirror lock up.

I've put ads up for my K10D and K20D on adverts, and all the photos of those cameras were taken with the K3. It's really stunning just how sharp it is.

I took it on holidays with me over chrimbo, and to the Road to the Rising last weekend. I'm stunned at the images I'm getting from it. The K20D has done me well for the last few years, but this blows me away.

I have a few photos I've shot with the K3 here: http://pix.ie/heebie/album/505905

I'm not sure if it's apropos to link to my ads, so I won't, even though there are more photos from the K3 there. Inbox me if you want to know where those are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Oh it's a brilliant little camera alright, I love mine too. But I'm still having issues like above. Last few days I was on holidays, and mirror didn't lock up, but again chip processing problems.
    The kind that stalls you for more than a minute on the viewing of a pic, or that has your camera still "on" even if you switch the "on/off" button to off.

Still haven't tried updating so that's the plan.

I just updated mine, and it's an easy enough process... only takes a couple of minutes. (I just updated my K10D and K20D as well.)
    Still haven't tried updating so that's the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I think this was suggested before but never happened- would anyone be interested in meeting up for a photowalk and also to maybe try out some different lenses. As a Pentax user I don't know any others locally so don't get the chance to borrow a lens to try it out (if people are comfortable with letting someone else use their lenses). I'm in Galway but would travel.
    I have a Sigma 30mm f1.4, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Pentax 100mm f2.8 and Sigma 70-200 f2.8. I would like to try out a 10-20mm lens, 17-70 (as a general lens), 18-135 (as a general lens), 50-135 f2.8, 35 f2.8 macro, even just for 10 mins or so.

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭killym

I have k10d.
    Also i want to sell da40xs and F70-210

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

The LEDs are an interesting extra, the K-1 will probably be what, c.€2000 here? Or more?

You can change luminosity for daylight on the screen too, and there's shortcuts for things instead of having to go to the menu every time. Can't remember what "things" but that sounds great, I think possibly HDR function... It says also HDR is available handheld, although I'm not sure I'd use that.

I don't need upgrading myself, but you never know, maybe in a few years... The price of the basic first edition will be nicely down by then. :)

WOOHOO!!!!!!! Now I get to finally spend a fortune on this camera!!! =D

It's release date is apparently 5th April. My birthday is 6th April.. guess who's getting what this year!!

K-1 ordered with a BG-6 grip. Will report back when I get it & have had a chance to check it out.

There appear to be two places in Ireland that SAY they're pre-ordering it on their websites, but if you check with them, they say they can't get it because it's a pro-dealer only item.

I saw it on eBay, and asked a question about it, but never received a reply, and the listing disappeared shortly thereafter, so I have a feeling they found out the same thing.

I ordered it from Jessop's in the UK, and there was one other place I looked, and it had exactly the same price.
    I didn't see anyplace that was particularly a bargain, but I'm not surprised. (Although.. if you get a really cheap flight to NYC, getting these at B&H would be fantastic...until you had to pay the duty on them I guess.)

• Advertisement

K-1 has shipped!

Received mine today. I've only taken a couple of photos with it, but I'm impressed thus far!

I'll post some to pix.ie if anyone's interested.

I do need to find a non-crop 17-70mm lens now! ;) I didn't know mine was a crop lens. It's interesting that it can use either. You can shoot a ring of light onto the image sensor, and it looks like it could be really cool.

Poor K-3 probably isn't going to get much use anymore. :(

There don't seem to be many Pentaxians left on boards. ={

I have found out that most of my lenses were specifically designed to be used with crop sensors... so now I get to replace a bunch of my glass.

If you're a Pentaxian with some auto-focus glass for 35mm, but have a crop-sensor camera and no plans to upgrade, maybe we can make a deal. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,151 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Heebie wrote: »

I have found out that most of my lenses were specifically designed to be used with crop sensors... so now I get to replace a bunch of my glass.

If you're a Pentaxian with some auto-focus glass for 35mm, but have a crop-sensor camera and no plans to upgrade, maybe we can make a deal. :)

Hi. Just in case you're not familiar Pentaxuser.co.uk have a good classified adverts section that I've bought most of my Pentax gear from.

Heebie wrote: »

Sorry Heebie, I have nothing for you. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Hey guys, looking at picking up my 1st DSLR and the KS-2 hs caught my eye, anyone on here have one?

Hi Glic, I have never seen a KS 2 in real life so I can't say, but I'm with Pentax since my first DSLR (K-x), and I now have the K-3, and I'm still happy with both cameras.

For DSLRs they are small, rugged, and they are very capable cameras. It seems whatever weaknesses were holding the first Pentax dslrs back (compared to Nikons etc...) are being consistently and efficiently fixed with every new model. I know I did notice little issues with focus on the K-x, and lo and behold, it has been fixed with the K-3. The battery life/display was a bit iffy at first with the Kx, but they fixed it somewhat with firmware updates, and with the K3 my battery life is excellent, even when shooting long exposures and using Liveview. (K-x used "normal" AA batteries)

I do get little lags after taking a shot sometimes, but I think it's the (slow) sd cards I'm using rather than the camera. But I wouldn't completely exclude electronic/firmware bugs here and there.

Just my experience, hope it helps !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

The KS-2 has been replaced by the k-70 but there isn't much in it. At the price point I was looking at the KS-2 fits my needs , the kit lens is only ok its a n 18 - 50mm, so I would be looking to pick up a 50mm 1.8, battery life could be better on the KS-2 though that's where Nikon d550 beats it , and it has touch screen. But lacks the likes of weather seal and sensor IS.

Pentaxians, I need your help.

I was trying to do droplets photography this week, and used my (Pentax) flash, wireless, and K-3.
    I have to use the pop up flash as a trigger, but it seems to prevent the burst function. I see in the menu that I have 2 options : the remote multiple shot function, or the "normal" burst mode, which still works when triggering with a wired remote.

This week I mostly used the "normal" burst mode, but I think I stuck it on remote multiple shot too, just to try, and it was the same. Camera just "has to" wait for that little pop up flash to re-arm for shots.

Any way around that that you know of ?

Thanks !

I'm still getting good results, but I could up the success rate greatly with burst !

What you can do is get a cheap-as-chips flash, possibly put some toilet paper over the element if it needs to be more diffuse. This should be enough to trigger the remote flashes.
    Then, get yourself an adapter to put that cheap-flash on a cable (about a tenner, I would think. I always carry one or two of them.) This way you can use a cabled flash, and put more tissue on if you need to attenuate the power.
    Usually the adapters for cabled flashes have both a mount to put it in a non-hot shoe, or on a tripod, so you should be able to position it in a way that's complementary to the lighting you're already using, and use the burst mode on the camera.
    You'll probably still have problems with the refresh rate of the flash, though, so probably best to use lithium batteries in it rather than alkalines to try and charge up the capacitors a bit better. (alkalines get "weaker" faster than lithiums, so the time they take to recharge the capacitors in the flash increases more quickly with them.)
    I have to use the pop up flash as a trigger, but it seems to prevent the burst function. I see in the menu that I have 2 options : the remote multiple shot function, or the "normal" burst mode, which still works when triggering with a wired remote.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice Heebie, I'll look into that.
    I was thinking today that I might just use my SAD lamp, it gives good continuous light and I have used it in the past for macro photography, only thing is I'd have to figure how to bounce it more than aim it at my set up as it really "burns" (!) the water. No wireless flash, no need for the pop up. No harm in trying !

I was driven demented today trying to find a rate of drops that would give best results, I have 20 drops pics and 50 "nothing" pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

I'm using a K5 at the moment. Had a Kr and a Kx
    Been using Pentax for more than 20 years.
    I still have an old SFXn, that I used to do weddings with

Current lenses
    35mm, 50mm, 18-55mm, 16-45mm and a 55-300 All Pentax

Thinking of changing system.

I haven't gone off Pentax, but I want to go full frame. Since I'd have to upgrade lenses, and there's only 2 available with the Pentax full frame, I'm thinking of selling all my Pentax digital gear, and getting an older, second hand Canon/Nikon full frame with at least one or two lenses to get me started.
    Availability of lenses is what motivates me to switch mostly.

I still have my old trusted K-x, and 2 kit lenses sort of thing, but I also have a K-3 II with fish eye, smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8 , limited edition 35 mm, and a DA 18-135 mm which I really like and has been my day lens a while.

I'm going to US in June, California, and have spotted places near San Fran that I'm hoping might do a deal to exchange K-3 and lenses for whatever might be available in full frame + lens.

Any bit of advice on selling Pentax gear very welcome, if you know any places in California that might be likely to be interested, that would be great too. I have no idea how to go about it all, have never sold on gear like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 791 ✭✭✭georgefalls

Thinking of changing system.

I haven't gone off Pentax, but I want to go full frame. Since I'd have to upgrade lenses, and there's only 2 available with the Pentax full frame, I'm thinking of selling all my Pentax digital gear, and getting an older, second hand Canon/Nikon full frame with at least one or two lenses to get me started.
    Availability of lenses is what motivates me to switch mostly.

I still have my old trusted K-x, and 2 kit lenses sort of thing, but I also have a K-3 II with fish eye, smc PENTAX-DA 50mm F1.8 , limited edition 35 mm, and a DA 18-135 mm which I really like and has been my day lens a while.

I'm going to US in June, California, and have spotted places near San Fran that I'm hoping might do a deal to exchange K-3 and lenses for whatever might be available in full frame + lens.

Any bit of advice on selling Pentax gear very welcome, if you know any places in California that might be likely to be interested, that would be great too. I have no idea how to go about it all, have never sold on gear like that.

You know all the old film camera lenses work with the K1, and are full frame..? You can pick up AF ones for not a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Ha just saw this on the homepage. I picked up a K5 ii on Adverts there a few weeks ago for what I felt was a great price. Have also bought some old film era lenses for it too:

M series 100mm prime
    M series 28mm prime

Helios 44-2 58mm prime. Very excited about this, just waiting on an adapter

These are to complement the SMC FA 50mm 1.4 I've had for years and the Tamron 35-70mm CF Macro which I do quite like.

Next I think will be a Sigma 70-300mm APO DG which I had before but sold on when I sold the K7.

You know all the old film camera lenses work with the K1, and are full frame..? You can pick up AF ones for not a lot.

Good suggestions, and I do love the old film lenses, I have one or two, but they're so heavy, and I have a bit of arthritis in my hands (and back/neck ...).

When you say it now I'd feel like just going for that option, but I just know that on bad arthritis days I'll be sorry.

I had a 70-200 mm old lens, it was so great, but it became hardship using it, especially since the rings became harder and harder to rotate.
    (well I've a notion it was a bit more complicated than that, maybe 77-225 mm or something of that kind ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Good suggestions, and I do love the old film lenses, I have one or two, but they're so heavy, and I have a bit of arthritis in my hands (and back/neck ...).

When you say it now I'd feel like just going for that option, but I just know that on bad arthritis days I'll be sorry.

I had a 70-200 mm old lens, it was so great, but it became hardship using it, especially since the rings became harder and harder to rotate.
    (well I've a notion it was a bit more complicated than that, maybe 77-225 mm or something of that kind ?)

Sounds like you just want a new system... go for it. No need to explain

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Sounds like you just want a new system... go for it. No need to explain

Yeah I guess. I still like Pentax though, still like the old lenses too.
    Not very keen on dealing with the old lens thing all the time though. I have a Pentax film camera so I'll still be able to indulge once in a while :)

Advertisement