Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl in Dublin City

Options
  • 06-11-2011 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Anybody know whereabouts new or secondhand vinyl LPs are being sold in Dublin? I heard something from a friend who heard on the radio that all the small temple bar stores came together and started selling under one shop -- is this true? If so, where is it?

Looking for Neil Young/Joni Mitchell/Bonnie Prince Billy kind of stuff, new or used! Any help or advice or info is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Edit : Sorry, just one more quick question. Where's the best place to get a nice cheap record player? A smaller shop or a bigger retailer? Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

The R.A.G.E. on Fade Street will fulfill both those needs. I picked up a Steepletone record player for 75 quid which included a 25e voucher for vinyl. The player itself has a self-contained speaker so you don't need a mixer or extraneous speakers. Sound quality is not bad, entry-level standard I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

thanks! any other recommendations? Oxfam Books in temple bar had some stuff but nothing I was particularly interested in buying..

is Tower Records off Grafton Street any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

aranciata wrote: »
    Edit : Sorry, just one more quick question. Where's the best place to get a nice cheap record player? A smaller shop or a bigger retailer? Cheers!

What is your budget? It's best to get a turntable and amp, rather than a record player. I could make a few suggestions if I knew what you want to spend.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Elastic Witch in Twisted Pepper has a small but great selection of stuff.

<Ollie> wrote: »
    What is your budget? It's best to get a turntable and amp, rather than a record player. I could make a few suggestions if I knew what you want to spend.

Budget would be about 50-100, maybe erring towards 50 as i'm a poor student! A few suggestions would be brilliant, thanks!

Elastic Witch are selling St. Vincent EPs online, nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

There is still some vendors in Georges Arcade selling secondhand vinyl, or were until very recently.
    Don't forget there is also record fairs which pop up from time to time in hotels etc.
    thanks! any other recommendations? Oxfam Books in temple bar had some stuff but nothing I was particularly interested in buying..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Slightly off topic, but does anybody know where I'd be able to pick up a belt for my LP player in Dublin?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I find Tower Records pretty good alright, nice general selection.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Slightly off topic, but does anybody know where I'd be able to pick up a belt for my LP player in Dublin?

Peats on Parnell St maybe, they still stock a lot of older parts etc as far as I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Towers Records is pretty good alright for new vinyl. Some of their vinyl can be a bit pricey but I've picked up quite a few records there over the past few years. They have quite a good collection there.

• Advertisement

thanks everybody! great food for thought. will try the above tomorrow!

anybody know if i could get one of these (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nostalgic-918-Record-Stand-Alone-separate/dp/B002XII4JG/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1320795118&sr=8-4) in Dublin? anybody have this player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Peats on Parnell St maybe, they still stock a lot of older parts etc as far as I know.

Once again, sorry to hijack the thread. But Peats couldn't help me out, due to the player being about 30 years old (it was my dad's originally). But I found this site: https://www.turntableneedles.com and they had it for $13, plus free shipping from the states! Happy days :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭binncheol

I quite like the Secret Book & Record shop on Wicklow street for vinyl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Anybody know whereabouts new or secondhand vinyl LPs are being sold in Dublin? I heard something from a friend who heard on the radio that all the small temple bar stores came together and started selling under one shop -- is this true? If so, where is it?

Looking for Neil Young/Joni Mitchell/Bonnie Prince Billy kind of stuff, new or used! Any help or advice or info is really appreciated!

Thanks!

Record fair on in Dun Laoghaire this Sat. 10 - 5 at Royal Marine Hotel,should be load of vinyl at it, also last Sunday of each month there's a market in Newmarket near the Liberties, at last one I got a load of great stuff at really low prices. Tower is fantastic for new stuff. I'd steer clear of those plastic players with built in speakers they're crap, no point in buying vinyl if all you hear is a tinny plastic sound off it. Best to save up around 100 -200 at the very least to buy one you can plug into decent speakers. I got one of these for 159 euros, great sound hooked up to my sound system.

48e51.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Lots of Vinyl on sale in the Flea market in the Grand Social (Liffey St) Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Record fair on in Dun Laoghaire this Sat. 10 - 5 at Royal Marine Hotel,should be load of vinyl at it, also last Sunday of each month there's a market in Newmarket near the Liberties, at last one I got a load of great stuff at really low prices. Tower is fantastic for new stuff. I'd steer clear of those plastic players with built in speakers they're crap, no point in buying vinyl if all you hear is a tinny plastic sound off it. Best to save up around 100 -200 at the very least to buy one you can plug into decent speakers. I got one of these for 159 euros, great sound hooked up to my sound system.

48e51.jpg

Agree, considering the price of vinyl compared to the digital equivalent you want to get the best player and stylus you can afford. Those all in one systems will wreck the vinyl over a short time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

48e51.jpg

Nah - this is the puppy you need: http://www.audioaffair.co.uk/Clearaudio-Master-Reference-Turntable/product_1291:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Seeing as we're on the subject of shiny plastic things, I need to get some speakers and an amp for my turntable. I also need to clear out a few hundred CDs so I was thinking of getting one of these

http://www.brennan.co.uk/

It says it can convert vinyl but would I be able to just play it as normal through the JB7 with just speakers as it says it has an internal power amp?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

lordgoat wrote: »

I have a few of these, eat me dinner off one of them.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 16 lisaclareob

George's Street Arcade is great for that kind of thing! I've seen loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

George's Street Arcade is great for that kind of thing! I've seen loads.
    Agree, I came across a lot of rare and interesting stuff there. While I'm in here can I just say that the vinyl in the Secret Book & Record Store is a rip off. Nice selection, just too pricey to me.

Advertisement