Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it compulsory to have to buy €10 worth of groceries with a debit card.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

MyKeyG wrote: »
    It seems like the most obvious thing in the world to me.
    Yep, I got your point, I am just explaining why they might not do it, and you should not to presume its an oversight on their part or something. People should complain if they want change.

I think many retailers just blindly copy each others practices, like sheep. This is why you get weird things which have always puzzled me.

-Pubs with attached offies with a massive selection yet feck all choice behind the bar.
    -Chinese takeaways always having the same fold out style menu and including chips/rice with each meal.
    -Pizza takeaways having menus with extortionate prices while they have vouchers readily available to get it at the normal price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

maxer68 wrote: »
    Its nothing whatsoever to do with aib / boi etc. It is visa who own the cards & technology, the issuers are just agents.

The eftpos system could be bought in by Irish banks, just like they bought in the laser and visa debit systems. It just takes will

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭compsys

No you don't have to spend over ten euro. That's your choice if you want to use your card. Use cash and spend as little of it or as much as you want.

If you are really stuck for money and haven't got €10 to withdraw then have the inconvenience of travelling to the larger supermarket.

I for one do not want a cashless society. Part of the reason this country is in the financial gutter is due to consumer spending on a reckless scale and the majority of that is on cards. If you don't see the cash it doesn't hurt your pocket as much. A lot of people were walking around with 3 or 4 credit cards in their wallets and spending huge amounts on holidays/home appliances/furniture on a whim, without even thinking of when the bill rolled in.

All the banks were offering balance switching for 0% apr for 6months or a year so it was forgotton about again, and again, and again until a year later and then this bill had to be paid. A good few people I know don't have a mortgage but still have a chunk of personal debt due to credit card bills and personal loans/car loans. And the interest rates on these are far higher than mortgages.

At least with cash, you see it, you save it, you hand over the actual money. And it feels a lot better knowing that you've put more of an effort into saving it when you do splurge, such as your trip to Iceland.

I totally disagree.

I find that if you go into a shop and just want to spend 2 or €3 on something but end up having to take out €20 from an ATM so you can pay in cash (no ATMs have tenners these days) you end up spending more than you want/need to.

Paying by card is so convenient and safer too as you don't have big wads of cash on you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

compsys wrote: »
    I totally disagree.

I find that if you go into a shop and just want to spend 2 or €3 on something but end up having to take out €20 from an ATM so you can pay in cash (no ATMs have tenners these days) you end up spending more than you want/need to.

Paying by card is so convenient and safer too as you don't have big wads of cash on you.

I agree. The method I was describing (eftpos) is a debit system and not a credit system. And with your account updating live you had full control over what was going in and out. Which I feel is not what we have now what with some transactions taking up to 3 days to appear on your account. Once you take out 20 euro it just disappears so quickly even if you had all the intention in the world to hold on to it as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I totally disagree.

I just don't understand that logic at all. You only want to spend €2/€3, but if you had cash in your hand rather than a card you have an urge to spend more? That doesn't make any sense, to me, you spend what you want/need to spend whatever the payment method. In fact I only ever use cards for larger payments when I don't have enough in cash.

Until you forget your card or worse still lose/break it/demagnatise the chip and then have to wait for a replacement from the bank which you not only have the inconvenience of having to go in and collect it, but you also have to pay for the replacement.

A balance of both is perfect. Cash is still very necessary for day to day transactions and will be for a long time yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Guys - i posted this in the Ryanair thread but it might also be slightly relevant to this thread if anyone knows the answer to this would be appreciated :)

Hi jonnny......

I posted this reply in the Ryanscare thread to your query:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75380450&postcount=2049
    Don't think you can get cash-back on Neteller Card.

Is your Neteller Card an Irish, Euro, Card??

If so, you should be able to book with no fees on Ryanair, it will be in Sterling.

AFAIK, Neteller will charge Fx. currency charge for the transaction, but it would not be as much as £12 to Ryanair, £6 each way, IMO...

https://help.neteller.com/app/answer...rges/related/1
    Foreign exchange (FX) fees charged on the Net+ Card
    If your Net+ Card is in a different currency than your NETELLER account, you will be charged the NETELLER FX fee of 2.5% for each Net+ transaction.

If you perform a Net+ transaction in a currency different from your Net+ card, you will be charged the Net+ FX fee of 2.95%.

If your NETELLER account is in a different currency from your Net+ Physical Card, and you use your card to make transactions in a different currency again, you may be charged both FX fees, as the currency will be converted twice.

To save money on FX fees when using the physical card, we recommend that you choose the currency you use most for your ATM and POS transactions if it is available, or the currency of your NETELLER account if your ATM and POS currency is not available.

In order to apply for the Net+ Virtual Prepaid Card, your NETELLER account must be held in one of these currencies: EUR, GBP, USD, CAD, SEK, DKK, AUD, or JPY. Your Net+ Virtual Prepaid Card will always be held in the same currency as your NETELLER account. To save money on FX fees, we recommend holding your NETELLER account in the same currency that you will use most frequently when shopping online.
    Am I wrong here?

Any help atall???

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I've just come back from Iceland
    1 US Dollar = 116.890 Iceland Krona

It maybe just easier to pay by card than to give in a bundle of paper notes?
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    not like here where it can take as much as 3 days for a transaction to appear
    Not like AIB, you mean? I believe customers of Ulster Bank do not have this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

the_syco wrote: »
    Not like AIB, you mean? I believe customers of Ulster Bank do not have this problem.
    I remember when I was with BOI. They took ages applying the charge to your card. Me and a mate when we were down to our last 50 before pay day we would buy €50 worth of groceries on the card then we could go straight to the ATM and draw out the 50 cash. It would eventually appear as an overdraft on the account but it was dead handy. AIB seem to apply the charge immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I was in a garage this evening buying cigaretts, €8.65, went to give my laser card and the guy pulled the box back to his side of the counter and said no not with your card unless i spend a tenner. I said no all i need is the fags and he said to go to a bank machine to get money out.

I spend over €100 a week on diesel in this garage so i told him i would be taking my business elswhere in future and a girl also behind the till said it was no problem she would serve me.

Whats the deal with this crack?? can they do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

http://www.lasercard.ie/faq.asp?id=83#q55

Apparently not.

EDIT - Ignore!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

joe, that's the retailer end of it, referring to their being no minimum purchase for them to be able to offer the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

My bad.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

recent thread on the same subject: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056443136

Some interesting posts in there from a retailers point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

can they do it?

Of course they can. There's no onus on them to take you Laser card, especially when it costs them money to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Mactard wrote: »
    recent thread on the same subject: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056443136

Some interesting posts in there from a retailers point of view.

Yeah,

Have a good read of that. Everything you want to know is in there.

It doesnt matter what the bank or laser says. They can say whatever they want - like they always have done, and look at us now!

Dont take the refusal personal, its purely a necessary, business decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

cheers guys interesting thread that

cheers guys interesting thread that

You're welcome.

There are always two sides to the story.

At the moment, my machine seems to be out of order.

I have had so many people attack me over this, I just want the quiet life.;)

Two hours after this post, just had a lady try to put 99c on a laser card !

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You're welcome.

There are always two sides to the story.

At the moment, my machine seems to be out of order.

I have had so many people attack me over this, I just want the quiet life.;)

Two hours after this post
    , just had a lady try to put 99c on a laser card !

What ever you have in your shop I want some of it. You managed to travel forward 2 hours and back 1.5 to do the edit this post:D

Del2005 wrote: »
    What ever you have in your shop I want some of it. You managed to travel forward 2 hours and back 1.5 to do the edit this post:D

Very good !

Of course you did see the edit note at the bottom......

I came back to edit it after the lady left, but it was only half an hour, seems longer on a 14 hour day.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement