Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

water vs mixed coolant - what's better

Options
  • 06-11-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

hi people

what would you recommend distilled water or a coolant, what has the best temps

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

Hi
    I've built few loops in my life and seen no noticeable difference, they will heat up to hell in seconds if you will forget to turn on the pump :)
    Whats really matters on temps is a radiator size, fans speed and flow killer waterblocks. If you dont care about fancy ,uv reacting hoses in you rig go for d.water (real one, from pharmacy). Dont forget about anti corrosion liquid (if you have mixed metals in your loop), and silver coil or bio-killer if your loop will be directed on sun light. Or use them both for own calmness :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭maxokeeffe

klub44 wrote: »
    Hi
    I've built few loops in my life and seen no noticeable difference, they will heat up to hell in seconds if you will forget to turn on the pump :)
    Whats really matters on temps is a radiator size, fans speed and flow killer waterblocks. If you dont care about fancy ,uv reacting hoses in you rig go for d.water (real one, from pharmacy). Dont forget about anti corrosion liquid (if you have mixed metals in your loop), and silver coil or bio-killer if your loop will be directed on sun light. Or use them both for own calmness :)

thanks mate for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

another thread - going for some sort of record here.

And I see you have put it back on adverts again. Are you actually looking to sell it this time or are you just showing off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Distilled water, 2 weeks ago I had to soak my rad in vinegar for 24 hours to get rid of the gunk that had built up (not me) over the last 18 months, rad had got blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭klub44

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Distilled water, 2 weeks ago I had to soak my rad in vinegar for 24 hours to get rid of the gunk that had built up (not me) over the last 18 months, rad had got blocked.

I clean my rad, hoses and change fluid every 12 months. Even there is no s***t inside. I always take my rad to petrol station and give it a good blow from air compressor :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

klub44 wrote: »
    I always take my rad to petrol station and give it a good blow from air compressor :)

That's actually a very cool idea. Cheers.

I usually give my stuff an extra rinse when I dissemble the loop, just 'cause. I give stuff a good flush the first time I get it though; you can get a lot of crap left in rads and blocks from the manufacturing process.

Advertisement