Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Fish to new aquarium

Options
  • 06-11-2011 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Can anybody help me?
    I have a 17ltr tank and i have about 8 fish in it, platy,mollies, guppies, a fighter and 2 plecos. The Plecos were getting too big so i recently got a new 60ltr tank, i have it all set up (since friday, today is sunday).I have 2 orandas in it to bring up the PH levels. I have tested the PH levels in both aquariums and there is very little in the difference. I have researched the suitable ph levels for all the above fish, and it would appear that the levels would be suitable now, but i also know that u should leave the tank settle for at least a week.
    What im wondering is, if i was to add the water from the old aquarium into the aquarium would that work? or am i best to leave it sit for the week before moving the fish?
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

If I'm not mistaken, even a 60 litre will be overstocked with that many fish?

Read the sticky on cycling at the top of the forum for info on how to get the tank ready. That said, since your current tank is way too small, I'd be inclined to move it's substrate, filter and water into the new tank, top it up with treated water (seachem prime is what I'm using on Silverfish's recommendation) and leave both filters running for the next week.

Test Nitrate, Nitrite and Ammonia levels daily and if they're anything beyond 10, 0 and 0 respectively, do a 10 - 20% water change. Once the new tank's filter is cycled properly you can remove the old one and you can reduce the water changes to a weekly event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Anne_ob

thank you for the advise!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

What do you plan to do with the orandas when the tank is cycled, if they survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you could add a little water from the first tank and squeeze the filter into it, this will help no end. But you'll still need to measure the levels of nitrate, nitrite and ammonia rather than simply throw the fish in

Advertisement