Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative Kitchen Carcasses.

Options
  • 06-11-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭

I am planning to build my own kitchen from scratch and I have an aversion to MDF/Chip/Melamine.

I noticed that in the US they use a prefinished ply for carcasses which look good imo and should be far more durable. (Stuff I saw seemed to have a polyeurathane (sp?) coat on it and was really tough.) Anybody know if that ply can be bought in Ireland.??

Any other suggestions for material for carcasses??
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

I'm personnaly a big fan of Birch Plywood, it's strong, durable and finishes well.... the down side is it's expensive, about €50 per 8x4 sheet of 18mm, but in my book, worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

papac wrote: »
    I am planning to build my own kitchen from scratch and I have an aversion to MDF/Chip/Melamine.

I noticed that in the US they use a prefinished ply for carcasses which look good imo and should be far more durable. (Stuff I saw seemed to have a polyeurathane (sp?) coat on it and was really tough.) Anybody know if that ply can be bought in Ireland.??

Any other suggestions for material for carcasses??
    Thanks.
    I have actually seen the ply material you are on about , i was working in a house recently where one was installed the supplier was from belfast, excellent solid stuff , pricey but gives the impression its super tough and would last.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

earpiece wrote: »
    I'm personnaly a big fan of Birch Plywood, it's strong, durable and finishes well.... the down side is it's expensive, about €50 per 8x4 sheet of 18mm, but in my book, worth it.

Yep. Should have said that Birch Ply is my current thinking. I am a fan of it also. Just wondering if there were any alternatives I wasn't aware of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

you can't beat birch ply, i always encourage clients to spend that bit extra for quality. MDF is such a curse.... but that said, it does have it's place.

Advertisement