Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cooking lamb for 6..

Options
  • 06-11-2011 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

have a dinner party coming up and im cooking for 6, i decided with lamb,either leg of or boned and rolled, which one would you do?/ also, what weight lamb would suffice for a party of 6 big eaters.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

hawkelady wrote: »
    have a dinner party coming up and im cooking for 6, i decided with lamb,either leg of or boned and rolled, which one would you do?/ also, what weight lamb would suffice for a party of 6 big eaters.
    cheers

Leg of lamb will definitely do 6. Normally they are 2-2.5Kg. Doing them on the bone is good normally but as its no longer spring lamb you will/may be getting it wont be sensational unless you do something special with it (and this forum is a good place to get same!)

If you go for on the bone, keep it simple and stick with lemon, rosemary and garlic. Stick a few cuts into the bone a load same with rosemary, lemon juice and sliced garlic. I would give it 30mins per 500G at 160C but thats me...

Alternatively, butterfly (a butcher will do this for you in mins or google same). Marinade in good olive oil, herbs, garlic and seasoning and wrap in clingfilm for a couple of hours. 40mins should do this nicely at 180C, rest and then enjoy

Dont by the above alone, you will get much more to consider from the folks who contribute here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

thanks a million, i just happen to see this forum today.. im hooked ....your ideas were great as i hadnt really thought of going above the usual put it in the oven for an hr and half.. but with your help i might push the boat out abit. with all your sugestions. keep in mind this is my first dinner party so i dont want to ruin it but if i get basic tips and timetable i will put my trust in you guys.. i will do roast spuds and veg with the meat also..
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Do a forum search for 'roast lamb' & you'll get a good few relevant results. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

cheers

A shoulder of lamb. Slow cooked- 3 hrs say- in a casserole dish with onions, carrots thyme and rosemary. Served with yorkshire puds and creamy mashed spuds. Heaven on a plate.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Leg, roasted on the bone. I think butterflied leg is a summer dish when the lamb is still spring lamb, i.e. it's more tender than this time of year.

Oven at 190, 45 mins per Kg + 20 mins.

Serve with rosemary roast potatoes, roast root veg and a mint sauce.

There really isn't a finer meal.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

thanks, i hope i can do it justice.. a couple of things, how long do you leave the lamb to rest? also, what wine would you suggest with the leg of lamb? and finally, what kind of starter would you recommend me doing ,it would have to be light enough i would have thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

This went down a treat for me and is pretty fool proof and just a little bit unusual without scaring the likes of my elderly parents.
    Any questions about it, just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

thanks, i hope i can do it justice.. a couple of things, how long do you leave the lamb to rest?
    15 - 30 mins, covered with foil and a towel to keep warm.
    also, what wine would you suggest with the leg of lamb?

Your favourite red:D
    To be honest it's fairly forgiving so anything from a Pinot Noir to a hearty Rioja or Bordeaux
    and finally, what kind of starter would you recommend me doing ,it would have to be light enough i would have thought.
    I'd have to think about that one.
    Maybe something salady or a light soup.

Advertisement