Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gifts for relatives in Australia

Options
  • 06-11-2011 9:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭

Hi all, not sure if this is the best forum to post this question, but I'll go ahead anyways.

I usually send Christmas presents to my sister who moved to Oz a few years ago. I'm on a tight enough budget and I find that the postage tends to usually cost the same as the gift, and as well as that, the name of the item is written on the parcel which is a bit of a spoiler.

So I was wondering if there are any Australian based sites that people use for buying gifts. Something like Amazon with a wide selection of things that I could purchase using paypal or mastercard and have it sent to her from them.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Without being smart but eBay.com.au has everything

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

As far as I know AWear and Asos.com both deliver to Australia. Maybe you could send her clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

Asos deliver to australia for free. Amazon.com and Amazon.com.uk deliver and the postage is reasonable. Most US stores deliver and they don't charge tax/vat to Australia. And of course you can elect for the goods to be gift wrapped. If your sister likes books most online book stores, ie bookdepository is one will deliver free to australia.

Marks and Spencer also deliver but the flat fee is 15sterling. Funny how they will deliver to Australia and not Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ellaq wrote: »
    Funny how they will deliver to Australia and not Ireland.
    Their database might require postcodes. I've had this problem with a few sellers but I can usually sort it out with a phone call. Something to do with the preprogrammed postal pricing for the final tallying before purchasing online.

catbear wrote: »
    Their database might require postcodes. I've had this problem with a few sellers but I can usually sort it out with a phone call. Something to do with the preprogrammed postal pricing for the final tallying before purchasing online.

Last time I checked their website clearly stated that they do yet deliver to the Repulic of Ireland.

Has it changed???

• Advertisement

Last time I checked their website clearly stated that they do yet deliver to the Repulic of Ireland.

Has it changed???
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about ordering things into Ireland, not OZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,336 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

catbear wrote: »
    Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about ordering things into Ireland, not OZ.
    So was she, the M&S webpage says they don't deliever to ireland?

Mellor wrote: »
    So was she, the M&S webpage says they don't deliever to ireland?
    Never dealt with M&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Strawberrynet for perfumes, makeup etc-American site but free delivery to Oz. Have used several times.

Fishpond-essentially the Australian amazon. Have ordered books from them before, no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mykal23

The Book Depository (UK) deliver free to Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ladybones

http://www.tasteireland.com.au

This site is awesome, they make up wee Irish hampers, incl Tatyos Baileys etc etc.... might be an idea....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Oh_Noes wrote: »
    Hi all, not sure if this is the best forum to post this question, but I'll go ahead anyways.

I usually send Christmas presents to my sister who moved to Oz a few years ago. I'm on a tight enough budget and I find that the postage tends to usually cost the same as the gift, and as well as that, the name of the item is written on the parcel which is a bit of a spoiler.

So I was wondering if there are any Australian based sites that people use for buying gifts. Something like Amazon with a wide selection of things that I could purchase using paypal or mastercard and have it sent to her from them.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Amazon are doing free delivery to Australia - and NZ - see here http://shopping.blogs.ie/2011/11/11/free-postage-overseas-this-christmas/

forgot to say (orders over £25 )

That free delivery is only if you spend $25 on books and music from AmazonUK. It does not include toys and other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

That free delivery is only if you spend $25 on books and music from AmazonUK. It does not include toys and other stuff.

- Sorry - I thought it included everything :o
    It does include DVDs though - as well as books and Cds

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

*BUMP*

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any more up to date recommendations for gifts for friends in Australia? I have a pal in WA that I want to send a nice bottle of whiskey to for as a gift.
    The taste of ireland one only sells Jameson...which is fine of course, but I would like a little more choice!!Also it needs to be included in a food hamper..which I dont really want to have to pay for!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gucci wrote: »
    Also it needs to be included in a food hamper
    Check what you can send. Certain food products, if packaged correctly will be allowed in, some won't. From reading threads here, "a full Irish" can be hard to come by (the meat is cured differently, I think?), so if your mate likes a fry up, it'd be something to consider?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

gucci wrote: »
    *BUMP*

Hi there, just wondering if anyone has any more up to date recommendations for gifts for friends in Australia? I have a pal in WA that I want to send a nice bottle of whiskey to for as a gift.
    The taste of ireland one only sells Jameson...which is fine of course, but I would like a little more choice!!Also it needs to be included in a food hamper..which I dont really want to have to pay for!

If you want stock standard whiskey Dan Murphys will work.
    If you want something bit more special or good irish whiskey try oakbarrel (based in Sydney) or Nicks wine merchants (Melbourne). Both deliver to WA and have good selection. Have bought lot from them and really good service..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Thank you for the quick response, I think I should be able to sort out something from some of those places Jackbhoy.
    Thanks the syco, he does love a good fry up, but bloody seems to eat more clonakilty over in Perth than they do in Cork!! I think some of the local places sell it now for about $10 for the small roll

Advertisement