Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance

Options
  • 06-11-2011 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi new to boards and just wanted to know if my home insurance would cover broken kitchen tiles. I have noticed that their is three cracked in different areas around kitchen. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

More than likely, the cost would be much less than your insurance excess.

Check your policy before you even think of submitting a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I'd check the excess before you go and claim if I were you. Really if the cost of replacing them is less than 500 euro it would be fairly pointless to claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Glenvw

pithater1 wrote: »
    I'd check the excess before you go and claim if I were you. Really if the cost of replacing them is less than 500 euro it would be fairly pointless to claim.
    Thanks very much for reply will check policy for excess amount

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

pithater1 wrote: »
    In fairness you sould get a room tiled for that so it should be much less.

OP I'd be wondering why your tiles cracked. It could be heat, which means the tiles aren't the right tiles for the location or more worrying movement in the wall behind the tiles.

It is a simple job to replace the tiles yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

NEVER! and I mean NEVER claim for a small item like this on your insurance. Your insurance should be to cover you for massive loss like fire, total theft or house collapse.

Far too many people claim for a broken tv or smashed window but this will actually cost you so much more in the long run. Insurance companies want you to believe that you should cover things like tvs or ipads for accidental damage (i.e. you drop them) but if you claim your insurance annual fee may double or even triple. You will end up paying this higher amount for years to come. Basically you pay thousands extra for something that wasn't worth it to replace. The insurance companies are now rubbing their hands together at your silly mistake as you line their pockets wth gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Lantus wrote: »
    NEVER! and I mean NEVER claim for a small item like this on your insurance. Your insurance should be to cover you for massive loss like fire, total theft or house collapse.

Far too many people claim for a broken tv or smashed window but this will actually cost you so much more in the long run. Insurance companies want you to believe that you should cover things like tvs or ipads for accidental damage (i.e. you drop them) but if you claim your insurance annual fee may double or even triple. You will end up paying this higher amount for years to come. Basically you pay thousands extra for something that wasn't worth it to replace. The insurance companies are now rubbing their hands together at your silly mistake as you line their pockets wth gold.
    Your insurance should not increase for claims like that. It will increase after flood or fire but not accidental damage. Claimed a few things over the years on properties and it rarely increased the premium. Flooding did but it went up in the entire area not because of my claim. I claimed for a bust water tank two years ago that I caused and there was no increase

Advertisement