Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good music radio shows?

• 06-11-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, just wondering can anyone recommend some good music radio shows that are worth listening to? I have just started listening to Live Drive on Dublin City fm from 4-7, anyone know any others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 yahoomac

listen in to surf up with tom dunne on newstalk sunday nights 21.00 tom knows his music in fact listen to his show every morning at 10.00 am he always thinks outside of the box with his music choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What sort of music?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I like Cormac Battles show on sunday nights on 2fm. Probably the only thing worth listening to on that wretched station

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 95 ✭✭RichieMc

All of Phantom 105.2's output so. Plug plug plug

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

KC @ Night on TodayFM.
    Tom Dunne on Newstalk in the mornings at 10 and Sunday night's at 9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Try "Off the Record" with Pat James on Radio Nova from 10pm on Sunday nights. Pat has a very particular take on rock music and has his regular texters and tweeters.... his own fanclub essentially.

Pat knows his music and is very passionate about it and has his likes and dislikes. There is plenty of stuff heard at other times on Radio Nova that Pat would never play. By the same token, there are certain acts or certain songs that you will only ever hear on his show.

It should also be mentioned that Pat James' quietly spoken, but passionate, style of delivery and his total immersion in and knowledge of music is both very effective and infectious.

Something different and something refreshing for music radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Clearly, for morning listening, the best music programme, available live from 7 am to 10 am, is Marty in the Morning, presented by Marty Whelan. It will set you up for the day.

You can listen back online to about a month's broadcasts, if you need good music later in the day.

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

South Wind Blows. RTE Radio 1 at 9PM on Sundays. Excellent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

The far side and Icon on Phantom FM in Dublin on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Great music shows from Jim carroll and Cathal Funge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Midweek Music Miscellany has the widest variety of music on Irish daytime radio and airs Wednesday mornings from 11.30AM to 12.30PM You can check play lists at www.jazzspec.blogspot.com to determine if your music interest is included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Sergeant wrote: »
    South Wind Blows. RTE Radio 1 at 9PM on Sundays. Excellent show.

It's a tad ironic how a talk biased radio station such as RTE 1 has some of the better music shows out there and makes more headway in playing some new, unheard or fresh music compared to many of the commerical operators or even their sister, 2FM. Late Date is spots over the likes of Love Zone type shows both in terms of content and ambience while John Creedon is rarely afraid to play something different or quirky the odd time.

One other hidden gem show is Weekend on One 6-8AM on Saturday mornings, which is unusually indie for both the station and time of day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Donie75

+1 for South Wind Blows on RTE Radio 1.
    It's a great show and very chilled out with a very broad spectrum of music. It's broadcast from Dingle by Philip King who runs Other Voices. He plays lots of Other Voices guests.

There is a show archive here http://www.rte.ie/radio1/southwindblows/archive2011.html

It's a pity they don't poscast the show...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Try "Off the Record" with Pat James on Radio Nova from 10pm on Sunday nights. Pat has a very particular take on rock music and has his regular texters and tweeters.... his own fanclub essentially.

Pat knows his music and is very passionate about it and has his likes and dislikes. There is plenty of stuff heard at other times on Radio Nova that Pat would never play. By the same token, there are certain acts or certain songs that you will only ever hear on his show.

It should also be mentioned that Pat James' quietly spoken, but passionate, style of delivery and his total immersion in and knowledge of music is both very effective and infectious.

Something different and something refreshing for music radio.

Might be a bit "deep" for a newby........you have to know your music ,as Pat does....Hense probably 75% of the jocks on Nova dont listen to him.........;);)......eh Millooley....???

Might be a bit "deep" for a newby........you have to know your music ,as Pat does....Hense probably 75% of the jocks on Nova dont listen to him.........;);)......eh Millooley....???

The OP was looking for suggestions for "good music radio shows". I didn't realise that for some shows, such as "Off the Record, you had to have reached a certain level of music understanding, i.e. "deep", before you could possibly listen to them! Surely, good music is good music, if it appeals to the discerning listener.

The discerning listeners, be they new to the genre or not, might welcome a bit of musical education. This is what "The River of Soul" that used to be on Today FM was like - an education in soul music.

You certanly learn a lot if you listen to Pat James!

The OP was looking for suggestions for "good music radio shows". I didn't realise that for some shows, such as "Off the Record, you had to have reached a certain level of music understanding, i.e. "deep", before you could possibly listen to them! Surely, good music is good music, if it appeals to the discerning listener.

The discerning listeners, be they new to the genre or not, might welcome a bit of musical education. This is what "The River of Soul" that used to be on Today FM was like - an education in soul music.

Think you're missing my "dig" at Nova....;)

The op didnt mention his/her taste...they might be country fans (god forbid :p) for all we know...Pj's show is an outstanding show for all the right reasons..he doesnt play the obvious tracks that we all love to hate on Nova....so, some listeners might be put off by some of Pats choices...

Not sure if the op was just looking for something to listen to while they drive home....nothing too deep..;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

The op didnt mention his/her taste...they might be country fans (god forbid :p) for all we know...Pj's show is an outstanding show for all the right reasons..he doesnt play the obvious tracks that we all love to hate on Nova....so, some listeners might be put off by some of Pats choices...

Not sure if the op was just looking for something to listen to while they drive home....nothing too deep..;)

There is actually a thread here on Nova, and the presenter himself has contributed to the debate. Good stuff, but more posts, more debate needed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431809

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

There is actually a thread here on Nova, and the presenter himself has contributed to the debate. Good stuff, but more posts, more debate needed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056431809

Hugo Brady Brown

Radio Nova :)

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Radio Nova :)

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

I think in fairness a lot of daytime Nova listeners might find Pats choice a bit "weird" for their delicate ears, especially if their (and Nova's) idea of rock music is based around the likes of mega rockers Bon Jovi and Billy Idol..:rolleyes:
    Pat has his cult following and I think he's comfortably setteled in now.....but i still think he got the sh1t end of the scheduling stick.....;)

Sids Not wrote: »
    I think in fairness a lot of daytime Nova listeners might find Pats choice a bit "weird" for their delicate ears, especially if their (and Nova's) idea of rock music is based around the likes of mega rockers Bon Jovi and Billy Idol..:rolleyes:
    Pat has his cult following and I think he's comfortably setteled in now.....but i still think he got the sh1t end of the scheduling stick.....;)

Given that Pat James' selection does not follow the normal playlist, it is hardly a surprise that he is on Sunday nights. Anyway, that may very well suit him. He is clearly doing this with a genuine love for music and he has free rein in what he plays (as far as I can make out). Last I heard, he had a full-time job anyway. This arrangement may well suit his requirements, as well as the more nervous shareholders at the station. Bear in mind, he did not get paid for his radio deejaying at all before Nova.

I still maintan that someone who is looking for something different on the dial could get a lot from listening to "Off The Record" - good music and an education in rock music. Of course, this is not everyone's cup of tea. You could say that about any suggestion put forward for a "good music radio show".

The OP praised "Livedrive's" music policy which is quirky and often alternative so "Off The Record" could easily be up their street at least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Rick Wakeman - Radio Nova.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Thanks, yeah I didn't particularly mention any specific music as I wanted to let the thread be diverse rather than restrict it... all great recommendations so far though and no, I don't listen to country, although I have stumbled onto country mix before by accident, and I don't drive either!

LordSutch wrote: »
    Rick Wakeman - Radio Nova.

Yes, Rick Wakeman can be very entertaining. His program is broadcast from 6-8pm on Saturday evenings. His music selection is very much of the standard classic rock variety, so I suppose you could argue about whether or not this constitutes a "good music show". He certainly is a good presenter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Yes, Rick Wakeman can be very entertaining. His program is broadcast from 6-8pm on Saturday evenings. His music selection is very much of the standard classic rock variety, so I suppose you could argue about whether or not this constitutes a "good music show". He certainly is a good presenter.

IMO his show is just a repeat of "Ricks place" that i used to listen to on Planet Rock....with the Nova bit stuck in.....good oul show but...;)

Advertisement