Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New parts advice - surprise!

Options
  • 06-11-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Shure your sick of these threads asking for part advice but I guess it's better when we create a thread for each specific situation.
    I'm looking to replace some parts soon, This will primarily be for gaming. Budget of about 300-400 euro.

CPU
    Motherboard
    Memory (68GB)

CPU-wise I've got my eyes set on the i5-2500k, seems like a popular choice and a good overclocker.
    I have a CNPS 9700 LED cooler which I believe is compatible with socket 1155.
    I will probably keep this and see how well it can cool the i5 at stock and OCed.

Motherboard-wise I'm out of the loop and need help.
    Need one with the ability to crossfire at least PCI-E 2.0 x8 x8 and is an easy overclocker when coupled with the i5-2500k CPU.
    Getting a board with the latest USB/SATA modes isn't a necessity but would be nice. Decent onboard sound is required!

Memory-wise Ripjaws seem popular, don't really know much about DDR3 memory either.
    If any of you have any tips for memory be my guest!
    Looking to get 6-8GB but don't think I want to spend over 55 euro on RAM.

My current spec:

HAF 912 PLUS case
    P5Q Deluxe
    Q6600 at 3.2ghz
    8GB DDR2 RAM
    5850 x 2.
    650w power supply
    (From a company not well known, I had my doubts about it but it has ran my current CPU and crossfire setup fine so I would think it would cope fine).
    I'm guessing the new motherboard/CPU will still use the normal power supply connections that my current spec uses, such as the 24-pin motherboard connector?

Am in the process of selling items for fund this, and will be selling my old CPU/MB and memory. My budget is about 300-400 euro.
    Thanks for any help you give guys, much appreciated.

Comments

Advertisement