Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vacuum

Options
  • 06-11-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭

I have an Electrolux Mondo 5106 1600w vacuum cleaner which needs a bit of attention. ( Its several years old )

The motor is working away but there is now suction.
    I have cleaned out the bag and both filters but still not working.
    The hose is also clear.

Any ideas please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭whizbang

when you switch it off do you hear a rattling/tinkling noise as motor stops?
    if so, bin it!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Does it have a reusable cloth bag? I'm not a fan of those, as they do clog up over time, as one would expect. Without the hose attached to the vacuum cleaner, can you feel suction with your hand at the hole where hose attaches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

blades on the fan i reckon are broke

trade her in for an 11-d- :D

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭cosmowillie53

Thanks for replys folks.

The fan blades seem fine. ( not ready for the 11D yet ) keep her lit if possible.

It has a reusable bag and yes there is goodish suction when I remove the hose.
    ( I dont have a spare to try out )

The motor stops without any rattling/tingling noise.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 33,990 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Change the bag / check the hose for splits. Clear the filters between the fan and the bag,

recheck the hose and the head for damage / bits of dirt. May look clear but is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

Can anyone recommend a decent vacuum cleaner which actually picks up the fluff off a carpet.
    Have been on my knees for the last 2 hours with just the tube vacuum cleaning the hall, stairs and landing.
    Exhausted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Get yourself a Miele. They're actually a lot better value than they used to be. The lower end models can be picked up for about €160.

Well made, good suction, quite straight forward bagged machines with excellent filtration and the models that we have anyway is also extremely quiet (it was a good bit more than €160 though)

AEG (Electrolux) and Bosch seem to do good ones too.

Nilfisk's also still around and makes excellent vacuums available mostly in Expert Stores and DID. The UK chains never seem to have heard of Nilfisk as I don't think it was ever a big deal brand over there.

The bagless machines don't always work that well and I've found you spend all your time emptying the damn things. Where as I'd say with our Miele we change the back maybe once every 2 months (mostly hard floors).

It's hardly THAT big a deal though to use bags.

Generally: cheap vacuums tend to be noisy and have quite poor filtration, badly designed, badly made tools and parts and difficult to get bags. I'd avoid like the plague.

If there's one thing you don't want it's to spend too long doing vacuuming with some noisy, smelly, dusty contraption that makes it a pain in the rear end to do. Housework is bad enough!

Thanks SpaceTime. Will have a look at the Miele. I don't like vacuuming at the best of times but 2 hours work with just the tube is so frustrating.

In general just good quality gimmick-free is what tends to work best.

There is a 15 year old Miele at home still working perfectly.

My granny still has her Nilfisk which is probably from the early 80s.

False economy buying a cheap crap vacuum tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

SpaceTime wrote: »
    False economy buying a cheap crap vacuum tbh

+1.

The auld one had a Nilfisk that she got somewhere second hand and it lasted us 25 years. I myself went through 3 cheap vacs in 5 years before I wised up.

I'm a big fan of Numatic (they make Henry vacs among others, the one with the smiley face on the front). Designed by engineers and not accountants, made in the western world, and you can order every single bit of it as a spare part in case you break something. I got one myself and it has taken huge abuse over the last 3 years and is still going strong.

• Advertisement

+1.

The auld one had a Nilfisk that she got somewhere second hand and it lasted us 25 years. I myself went through 3 cheap vacs in 5 years before I wised up.

I'm a big fan of Numatic (they make Henry vacs among others, the one with the smiley face on the front). Designed by engineers and not accountants, made in the western world not a sweatshop, and you can order every single bit of it as a spare part in case you break something. I got one myself and it has taken huge abuse over the last 3 years and is still going strong.

Thanks Andrew. Will look into reviews for the Numatic. Have being doing some research and Miele seems to get great reviews but have an open mind. Have had a Nilfisk in the past and could not fault it except to say it was a bit cumbersome. Not sure if the newer models are any better but inclined to go with the Miele.

The other thing I'd say is that the Miele bags are widely available compared to some other makes.

Most bigger electrical shops, Argos, Debbenhams, etc all seem to stock them and they don't mess with the design much so one of two types of bags fit every model produced since the 60s!

Certain other brands seem to have endless different shape bags that become hard to get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

In the place I used to work in the contract cleaners all used numatic for the carpeted areas of the workplace.

They were a an outfit which was not fond of wasting money so they must be good and reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The Henry Numatic is as good as you will get for the money. Bags are widely available, big and well priced. The machine itself is built for industrial use. No fancy settings or spring loaded rewind mechanisms to break down. Very solid machine, fine for domestic use.

cast_iron wrote: »
    The Henry Numatic is as good as you will get for the money. Bags are widely available, big and well priced. The machine itself is built for industrial use. No fancy settings or spring loaded rewind mechanisms to break down. Very solid machine, fine for domestic use.

Miele's spring-loaded rewind doesn't break down.. 15 years still working perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

cast_iron wrote: »

+1

I work as a cleaner and always take Henry with me. Excellent Hoover.

Advertisement