Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hormone levels and the contraceptive pill

• 06-11-2011 10:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This is a question that has always bothered me, and I know I should know the answer. So, as we all probably know, a normal female hormonal cycle is like this:

female-hormone-cycle1.gif

But what happens when the contraceptive pill is taken? I know that it helps with premenstrual symptoms, but how exactly does it do that? I always imagined that the hormones levelled out, so to speak. But in the last few days of my pill in a packet, I notice I'm more prone to mood swings and general PMS symptoms. I generally dismiss it, but it's finally occurred to me to ask. To what extent does the pill regulate hormones? Should they be balanced and level throughout the month, or would women still be prone to PMS-like symptoms towards the end of a pack?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Nobody knows the answer?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

Haven't a clue yet, but I'm doing Endocrine & Reproductive Physiology next year.. I'll let you know!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

People seem to report different effects re:PMT depending on manufacturer. Not really sure of an answer, I know the mini-pill should simulate pregnancy with all the wonderful progesterone (and you dont take that with a break) and you take that constantly (and a lucky few get a period free time on it).

I think we'll have to find you a hormoneologist of some sort...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Oh, and there some be some sort of feedback damping, so raised progestorne tells your progesterone secreting bits that we're grand for now, and i think prog feeds back on oestrogen in some method too. You can tell I didnt really listen in endocrinology (and that class was mostly thyroid anyway)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It's a strange one. I've studied Reproductive Biology in a bit of depth and never came across an answer for that question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/diseases/facts/pms.htm
    doesnt exactly say what you are asking, but it gives info on different types of pills and there effect on PMS

Also pms is under diseases?? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 boober27

does anybody know how many contraceptive pill brands are available in ireland ive tried 5or 6 types and being told there arent many more the names of them all would be really helpfull ive googled it but cant seem to find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I have a question if you don't mind me posting. I would have asked it in school, but being an 18yr old boy, asking in a biology class about this stuff could come across "strangely".

So, as far as I know, the contraceptive pill prevents ovulation (release of egg). Since females are born with a certain amount of ova, would taking the contraceptive pill prolong the period before Menopause if taken over an elongated period of time, or would the biological rhythms of the body find a way to sort itself out?

It was one of the first things that came into my head when we did it in school last December, and I felt people would perceive me as being "creepy".

It's probably a very simple question or I may have understood the principle behind it wrong. But, when I saw the post, I thought of seizing the opportunity. :L

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Firerainbow

I've studied basic female hormone cycles in college, but as far as I know, if you are taking the same amount of hormones each day, there should be no reason for mood swings/PMS symptoms like you said. I'm pretty sure it's the change in hormone levels that accounts for these symptoms.
    I know some pills contain different amounts of hormones at different times during the cycle, to more closely simulate the body's natural changing hormone levels, perhaps you are taking this type of Pill?

Advertisement