Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor's 12 month Contracts no more

Options
  • 06-11-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭

Just been looking at the Meteor site, seems they've done away with 12 month contracts, minimum length now is 18 months :mad::mad:

Not going to be renewing mine when it's up in February

Any other networks do 12 month contracts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Are you sure? I haven't checked this yet, but iirc comreg have made requirements for a 12 month to be available

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Davy wrote: »
    Are you sure? I haven't checked this yet, but iirc comreg have made requirements for a 12 month to be available

I've just checked there site, and i mean REALLY checked it, and there's no sign anywhere of a 12 months contract, just 18.

http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/#phone-plans

I really wanna stay with Meteor but no chance if it's an 18 month contract

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

http://www.meteor.ie/bill-pay/#compare-all

I spot four 12 month contracts there. Did you select all? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I thought so too, but it appears to me anyway, the both Meteor and Three have not adhered to Comregs regulations re offering 12 month contracts. My understanding of the regulation is that providers must offer a 12 month option in ALL their Paymonthly plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

There are 12 month contracts there if you look at the link Kintarō Hattori posted up

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    There are 12 month contracts there if you look at the link Kintarō Hattori posted up

Yeah, i just noticed that, Ooooops

Either way, the contract i'm on at the moment isn't there no more.
    Smart 35 with 200 mins, 200 texts and 1gb Data

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

That price plan is still there.

kensutz wrote: »
    That price plan is still there.

with the 1gb data on a 12 month contract?? I must be having a real blonde moment tonight cos can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Note when you click on the free sim button, you end up on a page that does not include the tarrifs listed on the plans page:(:(:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I thought so too, but it appears to me anyway, the both Meteor and Three have not adhered to Comregs regulations re offering 12 month contracts. My understanding of the regulation is that providers must offer a 12 month option in ALL their Paymonthly plans.

Meteor shops have brochures claiming there are 12 month contracts BUT the Meteor shop staff are adamant that all of these 12 month contracts were withdrawn from sale from the 1st of November onwards. Obviously Comreg are too lazy to check. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Meteor shops have brochures claiming there are 12 month contracts BUT the Meteor shop staff are adamant that all of these 12 month contracts were withdrawn from sale from the 1st of November onwards. Obviously Comreg are too lazy to check. :(

12mt contracts weren't withdrawn from sale who ever you were talking to has it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

For people that want to upgrade to the latest top of the range android smartphone- are these still available on a 12 month contract at a reasonable price, like they were up until a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

They've definitely change things around big time. On Friday they had the HTC Sensation, free phone, €75 per month, 12 month contract, unlimited calls and texts, 1gb data. Now its 18 month contract and €69.99 for the phone (5gb data). Mofos.
    Edit: they seem to be hiding the 12 month contracts when you buy a phone online. If you want to avail of them you have to go in-store.

180538.JPG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

12mt contracts weren't withdrawn from sale who ever you were talking to has it wrong.
    The Meteor staff in Eyre Square Galway were quite adamant that they had no 12 month contracts to offer since the 1st of november. Every one I pointed out to them in their own brochure, they said, was withdrawn.

Could be they get no bonusage for selling 12 month contracts but that ain't good enough when the customer specifically asks for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

My contract is just up..and ive another up in 3 months..

The only reason I am with meteor is because of 12 month contracts...nothing keeping me there now..off so see what 3 can do for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 mcxmarkus

It is very annoying when different staff in different location give you different answers even though it is the same company, meteor.

I was quiet dissapointed to find out that the 12month contract is gone as I was planning to go with that to get the Iphone 4S. Simply because its short enough in case I leave the country, the minutes/txt and data is enough and easier to upgrade/resell phones.

It seems that Meteor wants customers to choose their smart 30 plan for 18months as the cheapest option to keep customers longer (perhaps in hope they will spent more money and data outside the package). Still not too bad the offer considering its overall 90€ cheaper than extending the 12month contract for 6 months on the Iphone 4S 16GB.

Do you guys think that Meteor would do a better Deal over Christmas or perhaps even after New Year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I just resigned my 12 month contract two days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Under Comreg rules they have to offer you a 12 month contract if you ask for one but you will pay more for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

I will leave meteor if I cant get a decently priced 12 month contract. No doubt about it.

Will probably move to emobile or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I called into a phone shop the other day, just browsing, I asked the assistant if there were any smart phone offers atm, he said there is, it's ending today, and the offer was a new smart phone (HTC Wildfire) on the smart 50 plan(400m, 400text, 2GB data), for €25 pm, 18m contract, so...........I took it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

There are still 12 month contracts, but none with free data any more. You have to pay extra for data on a 12 month (4.99 for 500mb or 9.99 for 10gig)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Justin10

There is 12 month contract just not online, which includes data.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    There is 12 month contract just not online, which includes data.

...probably not offering the iPhone 4S with that so that you are forced to get 18 or 24month contract :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Quite disappointed to see the 12 month smart plans gone...

I tweeted Meteor on twitter asking where they went and who ever replied that its 18 months only with smart plans. Where as before they had 12 month smart plan option.

I wouldnt mind that much having an 18 month contract. But their FCAT on net are for 12 months only. So would end up having quite high bills once that 12 months runs out.

Reluctant to leave sim only smart plan now and sign up for a contract...

I called meteor in swords a few days ago and they said that they still sell the iphone on a 12month contract, but interestingly the 16GB iPhone is now 49€ more expensive than before = 349€ instead of 299€ .

(Either they increased or different shops have different prices, Dumdrum also had it more expensive than shops in Dublin at the same time :eek: )

I hope for Christmas / New Year they will do a promotion or bring back 12month contracts with better value.

EDIT: Just got a call from meteor in Blanch and they confirmed that they are not allowed to sell the 12month contract which was instructed by an email from meteor.

Advertisement