Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate

• 06-11-2011 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Im sitting here actually fumming :mad: The second series of love/hate starte tonight on Rte1 I thought the firsts eris was really well done. But they are using Rotties and Staffies for attactin and fighting. No wonder these dogs are given a bad name ith this sh1t aired :mad::mad:

Any point in complaining to RTE??? :mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know, i couldnt believe it when i saw it:mad: Between the rotties and the staffies thats all they need, more bad press!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

:mad:

It disgusting im soooo annoyed.

Were would you complain to. Im on the rte web site and cant see anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Surely they did not show the dogs fighting? I'm not following the series but my understanding that it's based on certain elements of society who's lives revolve around criminality. It's sad but true these people do employ these dogs for dog fighting. Isn't it better that they be shown for what they are and not glamourised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

When did RTE ever give a fiddlers about complaints ? They'll probably claim artistic freedom or some such nonsense.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Surely they did not show the dogs fighting? I'm not following the series but my understanding that it's based on certain elements of society who's lives revolve around criminality. It's sad but true these people do employ these dogs for dog fighting. Isn't it better that they be shown for what they are and not glamourised.

They are??? So Rotties and Staffies are for attacting and fighting :confused:

My parents have 2 rotties and I grew up with them and the only thing they would do in drown you in drowl from licks.

Maybe im reading you post wrong, I hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Justask wrote: »
    They are??? So Rotties and Staffies are for attacting and fighting :confused:

My parnets have 2 rotties and I grew up with them and the only thing they would do in drown you in drowl from licks.

Maybe im reading you post wrong, I hope so

Yes you are reading my posts wrong. I'm not saying in any way that dog fighting is right. What I'm saying is that criminal elements of society are using these dogs but mainly pitbulls for fighting. If RTE is basing this series on these people then they are trying to show their character in their entirety. What I'm also saying is that it's better not to glamorise these people. By showing how these people are essentially scum and that the political elements who try and portray them as disadvantaged should be taken to task.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Yes you are reading my posts wrong. I'm not saying in any way that dog fighting is right. What I'm saying is that criminal elements of society are using these dogs but mainly pitbulls for fighting. If RTE is basing this series on these people then they are trying to show their character in their entirety. What I'm also saying is that it's better not to glamorise these people. By showing how these people are essentially scum that the political elements who try and portray them as disadvantaged should be taken to task.

Sorry :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

A dog will be as agressive or as passive as their owners want them to be. Sort of the same thing applies to children.

This programme simply showed what happens every day in .parts of large cities. That's it.

BTW - this is NOT a Dublin drama. It is simply a drama that is filmed in Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

I think complaining to RTE is pointless for numerous reasons, but I also reckon the complaints are unfounded tbh.
    The reality is that some people use these breeds for wrong reasons. I'm not saying that 99.9999999% of staffies etc aren't loveable family pets. But fact is, certain elements of society use these breeds for specific reasons and image.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I agree with Einstein, the programme is trying to be realistic. The sad reality is that these breeds are the ones associated with fighting. They couldn't exactly use Jack Russells or poodles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

I think you guys would be within your right to complain. I don't see the harm in alerting them to the fact that they are continuing to perpetrate a myth around aggressive dogs, but as the broadcast commissioners go, I dont think the complaint would hold up.

I complained to TV3 recently about something and in fairness got a good response from them. But I wouldn't have been able to go on to broadcast commisoners with it, they have a set of guidelines under what you can complain about. Because people do actually fight these dogs, i think RTE would be ok to continue showing it. (you have to complain to RTE first either way)

http://www.bcc.ie/how_to_complaint/what_about.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I think some of ya's are taking this a bit to heart, its a tv show for F**k sake! Do ya think decent people who dress the same way as scum bags on telly ie Cap, nike air max, tracksuit ect are going complaining because they are being portraid in a bad way:rolleyes:

Get a grip people

EDIT: I just wanted to add something here, These types of dogs are used by criminals and scumbags for fighting and to intimatate, thats a fact that no one can dispute. we all know 99% of owners of these dogs are decent people and the dogs pure pets that wouldnt hurt a fly.

From my own point of view, i shoot, i dont get up in arms every time i see a criminal use a shotgun on tv and certainly wouldnt feel the need to complain about bacause its a fact of life. 99% of people who legally own guns in this country are responsible people just like the dog owners

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

the two boyo's stole the car and the one they arrived at the gym had 2 diff number plates. bad bad bad !!
    first one was a 04 c reg second is a 05 D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

smodgley wrote: »
    the two boyo's stole the car and the one they arrived at the gym had 2 diff number plates. bad bad bad !!

They switched plates to avoid the cops who would be looking for the stolen car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

are you for real?

some of the biggest and well known programmes and films have bigger mistakes than that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

the effin begrudgery of some people.

An Irish made, Irish written, Irish produced drama wins best new series in Europe, (1st series) gets praise from virtually every critc out there as one of the best dramas ever made and still some people want to find something wrong even though if they had an iota of a clue about concealment they'd know that a REAL criminal would switch plates in the REAL world. - Or maybe the drama refects too well on real life?

why oh why are some posters so down on anything Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Guys if you want to talk about the ins/outs/inaccuracies of a TV show there is a forum for it. Reg plates aren't particularly relevant in Animal & Pet Issues

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

not a bad show for rte in fairness....pity the actors dont reflect the real dublin northside ganster tat most of us know....brendan gleeson's son was excellent last year pity they killed him off::))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

not a bad show for rte in fairness....pity the actors dont reflect the real dublin northside ganster tat most of us know....brendan gleeson's son was excellent last year pity they killed him off::))

Counldnt agrre with you more...

A lot of the characters are too pretty boy (Darren and john boy mainly)... the other guys kinds do look the part IMO... like total scummers..... :eek:

Hughie (Gleeson’s son) was brilliant... they def shouldnt have killed him off... he was a head case and excellent actor

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement