Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chemical to kill weeds in new hedgerow

• 06-11-2011 11:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

is there a chemical that can kill weeds and grass and wont kill my newly planted [1yr]white thorn hedge row.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭ceannfort

Apparently theres a product called Kerb Granuals for this job. don't know anything about it or where to get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

Kerb Granules

Optimum timing is this month.
    These chemicals are probably better value purchased in an Agri-merchant.

http://www.barclay.ie/ireland/media-centre/points-of-interest/kerb-granules----for-weed-control-around-shrubs-trees--ornamentals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

Wonder if this stuff is really safe to spray directly on to the whitethorns.
    In my own case I used the plastic which was a great help and for the first three springs i used roundup from the knapsack with the cowel to carefully spray both sides.
    Still a lot of weeds came up where the plastic was punctured to allow the quicks out and had to do a bit of weeding. Mine were sowed in March 08 and are now big enough to shade out weeds thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

Pharaoh1 wrote: »
    Wonder if this stuff is really safe to spray directly on to the whitethorns.

You don't apply it as a spray. You scatter the granules as evenly as you can.

"Propyzamide has very low water solubility, this property reduces movement through and across the soil profile. It will therefore not move significantly from the top 3 - 5 cm of the soil profile after application."

I think that basically your weed roots will be very near the surface and therefore susceptible whilst the shrub or hedging roots will be a lot deeper.

Advertisement