Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What language is this?

• 07-11-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

24102011050.jpg

Picture was taken on the top of an Alpine pass in Northern Italy

It's clearly a romanic language, but I'm certain it is not Italian / Spanish / French / Portuguese. It might be Romanian but the location of the car (near Switzerland) makes me think it is Romansh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

google translator seems to think it's either Indonesian or French depending on how much of it is typed in yet refuses to translate it.... so can't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel

psychward wrote: »
    google translator seems to think it's either Indonesian or French depending on how much of it is typed in yet refuses to translate it.... so can't help

I think we need someone with a bit more sophistication than google translator :D

It is neither French nor Indonesian for that matter :D

unkel wrote: »
    I think we need someone with a bit more sophistication than google translator :D

It is neither French nor Indonesian for that matter :D

Hey Google translator isn't so bad if you use it as a dictionary. The problem is it didn't catch or detect a translation for any of the words.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭GeeNorm

Googled a few of the words and it seems to be Romansch, one of 4 languages in switz. Never heard of it but seems likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It could be Lombard or Ladin both spoken in N. Italy.

• Advertisement

If theres no conclusive answer later I will ask an aunt who has lived in Switzerland for the last 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

I think it could be Rhaeto-Romanic - Romance dialects spoken in parts of southeastern Switzerland and northern Italy and the Tyrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,825 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Googled "il pionier dal" and all 6 results point to Swiss websites. As Romansh is an official Swiss language, that must be it.

@Jemmaa - I think Rhaeto-Romanic is the same as Romansh or the name of the group of languages that Romansh belongs to (but not the official name)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

unkel wrote: »
    Googled "il pionier dal" and all 6 results point to Swiss websites. As Romansh is an official Swiss language, that must be it.

@Jemmaa - I think Rhaeto-Romanic is the same as Romansh or the name of the group of languages that Romansh belongs to (but not the official name)
    You're probably right
    Romansh is an umbrella term covering a group of closely related dialects spoken in southern Switzerland and all belonging to the Rhaeto-Romance language family. The other members of this language family are spoken in northern Italy. Ladin, to which Romansh is more closely related, is spoken by some 22,550 in the Dolomite mountains of Trentino, South Tyrol and the province of Belluno, and Friulian is spoken by between 550,000 and 595,000 people in northeastern Italy.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romansh_language

Also
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhaetian_language

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

It's Romance, specifically the standard dialect "Rumantsch Grischun", the language can be told from the verbs, the dialect from the first person singular pronoun being Jau. However it has the Puter dialect word "adüna", from the Engadin valley.

It says:
    I am thirty years old and still loved,
    "Make of Car",
    Subaru, the original 4x4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement