Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need 500 watt Halogen Replacement!

Options
  • 07-11-2011 12:16am

Hi Everyone,

My Aunt's over 10 year old outdoor 500 watt halogen bulb died and she needs a replacement, Thanks to the E.U ban she now has to spend a lot more than a bulb on a whole new light fitting!

Her old light is on a separate sensor so she can't use metal halide or sodium ?

Basically she needs it to come on full brightness as soon as she goes out into the yard.

She needs something as bright, there are no neighbours to annoy so the brighter the better!

Energy efficiency and cheap if possible, and defiantly no horrible street light yellow

Thanks for advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mccarre4

I would suggest using a Litetron 24w rx7 which should fit into your existing fitting if not a new fitting would be around €15
    this equates to approx 300w and lights instantly

Thanks for the reply, can I use that with the current sensor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

The Litetron 24w as with other CFL RX7 lamps will only give you about equivalent to 150w of T/H and be careful it will take a minuet or two to reach full power.

Osram and I know others do make a 400w T/H lamp equivalent to 500w T/H and you should be able to pick them up in a good electrical wholesaler.

Thanks bigjoe,

Well I went to Woodies and the lad showed me an energy saving 24w that just popes right in.

The old bulb was actually 300 watts and not 500 like I thought!

It does take about 3 mins to reach full brightness and useless for a few seconds when first turned on, so I'm going to remove the sensor and she can turn it on and off when she wants, it's only 24 watts so she can leave it on for a good few hours in the evenings and turn it off at night, she said she would rather have light on during the evening anyway.

It's very bright enough for only 24 watts but not 300 watts equivalent , to be honest the old housing does not reflect the light as good as it would in a housing designed for it, it sticks forward a good bit. The white light is actually nice outside!

I saw 30 Watt led flood lights on the net that are supposed to be as good as 300 watt halogen and the reviews were impressive, but at 85 Euros, no chance!

What I may do is get another light for her and put it up at the other corner and it would still be only 48 watts!

Anyway thanks for the replies everyone!

Advertisement