Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CompTia Security +

Options
  • 07-11-2011 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭

I have CompTia A+ & CompTia Server + and i have done CCNA within my Modules in College. I have Higher Cert in Computing. but cant seem to break into the IT Sector.

Is CompTia Security a good Course to do or would i be better off heading more to Linux +

I am looking to go into the BSc in Information Technology Support and see that Network Security is a Module that need to be done.

If i do go ahead with the BSc in Information Tech. Which would be the best to do CompTia Security + and then get an RPL in Network Security or should i just do the Network Security that is offered in the Module

I have a good Linux Command behind me with System Admin 1 & Operating Systems Fund. which was part of my Modules in College.

i am doing Win 7 Config 70-680 home Study at the moment, so would i be allowed to do Linux + Exam if i did it as a home Study as well.

I love to do Vmware VCP but i dont have 2k to burn on that and the problem with VCP is you have to do it within a Course other wise you cant do the Test.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

I would advise you to do the Linux+ , if you havent worked in IT at all yet, you're going to be on service desk type role, no point in souping up on higher certs when you wont be using them, most important thing is get any experience first (I realise thats what you're trying to do and dont mean to be flippant)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

I see apple post English speaking jobs every now and again. Are they ok to work with in the apple care section?

Where did u do the Linux + course of you did it already I was thinking of doing it home study with some CBT nuggets vids and Linux + book

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

CorkFenian wrote: »
    I would advise you to do the Linux+ , if you havent worked in IT at all yet, you're going to be on service desk type role, no point in souping up on higher certs when you wont be using them, most important thing is get any experience first (I realise thats what you're trying to do and dont mean to be flippant)

Back when there were lots of IT jobs advertised in newspapers etc, you'd often see certs like Cisco or MCSE mentioned in the job spec. Don't think I ever saw Linux+ mentioned in one. Not saying it no use (i passed it myself but work in a Windows environment), just might be worth researching the job market, talking to recruiters before going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

A little confused about what path you are trying to take.

Are you looking for a job or are you looking to continue with your studies to degree level?

While studying for Linux+ would be good in terms of your own personal skills set, I don't think it will be the difference between an employer considering or rejecting you for a position, as the stumbling block for you seems to be your lack of experience.
    i am doing Win 7 Config 70-680 home Study at the moment, so would i be allowed to do Linux + Exam if i did it as a home Study as well.

Why wouldn't you be allowed to do this exam also?

Advertisement