Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E-Readers, do you have one?

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've used both and to be honest, the lack of a physical keyboard on the one is no loss. The keyboard on the older model is a pain in the arsenal to use, to be honest. The new one is a bit more like what you'd have in a computer game. Keyboard comes up on the screen and you just use the button in the middle to fly around it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks guys

a more annoying thing is:

is it true the keyboard one has an audio jack and you can listen to audio books/mp3 and the new non-keyboard one does not have this?

amazon has 1 refurbished keyboard one, thats all. do they both have the same storage?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

thanks guys

a more annoying thing is:

is it true the keyboard one has an audio jack and you can listen to audio books/mp3 and the new non-keyboard one does not have this?

The kindle 3 version that I have (this one), has one and is very useful.
    Nor sure about the latest version released in the last few weeks.
    I DO know the newest one does NOT have an SD slot either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Correct. You don't need it, though. Its an ebook reader (for reading). :)

Mr E wrote: »
    Correct. You don't need it, though. Its an ebook reader (for reading). :)

I stick audio books on mine so its useful for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Confab wrote: »
    It's silly buying a Kindle or whatever when most phones have book reader apps. Phones do everything nowadays. Why carry extra shit around?

So... you don't go blind staring at a tiny back lit screen? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

so the new non-keyboard one has no sd slot? what about he new one witha keyboard, does that?

id love to have audio books and an sd slot tbh, i wonder does the newest one with a keyboard have both

thats 149£ instead of the non-3g one at like 80-90£

Just to be clear, the Kindle three on the left (which I have) of the picture below, has a headphone slot and SD card expansion ability.

The NEWER kindle on the right does not.

Picture: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4719/61c7b19dpgl.jpg

Amazon still have the K3 still on sale - wireless and 3G versions.
    Example:
    * http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ref=famstripe_kk
    * http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Not an E-Reader as such but a tablet. I have a HP Touchpad 32GB (Bought for €145 in the firesale :D) running Android/WebOS. I'd prefer an E-Ink screen for reading novels and the like but seeing as I use it to keep digital versions of my textbooks I can't do without a colour screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Firetrap wrote: »
    I've used both and to be honest, the lack of a physical keyboard on the one is no loss. The keyboard on the older model is a pain in the arsenal to use, to be honest. The new one is a bit more like what you'd have in a computer game. Keyboard comes up on the screen and you just use the button in the middle to fly around it.
    I've just bought the non-keyboard one as a present for someone, tried out the screen keyboard to set up her account and it didn't bother me, you get used to it fairly quickly, and you learn to go off the keyboard on the right if you're there and want a letter on the far left, and vice versa, if you get me. Pretty much like entering your name in a computer game alright. It's a reader foremost, in my opinion anyway, you'd only type in a title of a book you were looking for or the name of an author, and it does this predictive text thingy that guesses where you're going, like a browser's search engine. Easy enough. I find it easier on the eye than the one with the keyboard, it's smaller and probably lighter too. It may have less storage, but with your titles always available in the cloud that's not a problem either.

• Advertisement

Johro wrote: »
    ..it's smaller and probably lighter too. It may have less storage, but with your titles always available in the cloud that's not a problem either.

Yes, its very slightly smaller.
    Less storage.
    Titles available in cloud - if you always have net connection.
    As for reading from the previous K3, its exceptionally just as clear and is regarded as one of the most still clear readers to read as book from - even better than the Ipad.
    The K3 is exceptionally just as light too.

What it boils down to basically is:

Do you want your own ability to add items through an SD slot?
    Do you want to listen to music/audio books?
    Do you like the touch and feel of an actual keyboard - with functions maybe not on the current newest version (and that includes two small hidden games)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

what are peoples opinions on the kindle with a keyboard and one without? is not having one really annoying?

I am thinking of getting one but i dont want to waste the money on the keyboard one with 3g, do places even sell the keyboard one with just wifi any more?

Here's a good look at the new one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1gZ3BUaHRQ

I just got this as a birthday present, and I love it. I don't find the lack of a keyboard awkward, as I do most of my book searching on my laptop anyway.
    It doesn't have audio capabilities, or an SD slot, and has only 2GB storage, so approx 1,400 books.
    That's all fine for me, and I have barely put it down since I got it :)

If a newcomer has never used a keyboard on such a device, you won't miss it.
    Me, I like to be able to press just one button to get a letter. Not a number of button pushes like up, across, down, over and then press "enter" just to enter one letter - before moving on to the next one, and again for the next one, etc.
    The more physical keyboard is greater in that practicality. One button for one letter, one press. Old school style.

Thanks guys! Seems i dont know what to get at all :pac:
    pity about smaller storage/no sd/no audio in a newer version though. Still, as people said, it is mainly for reading!

Biggins wrote: »
    Just to be clear, the Kindle three on the left (which I have) of the picture below, has a headphone slot and SD card expansion ability.

The NEWER kindle on the right does not.

Picture: http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4719/61c7b19dpgl.jpg

Amazon still have the K3 still on sale - wireless and 3G versions.
    Example:
    * http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HFS6Z0/ref=famstripe_kk
    * http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HZYA6E/ref=famstripe_kk3g

wish .co.uk had it as trying to get it from amazon.com doubles the cost of the product with import fees, shipping and they even raise the price of the kindle by 40 dollars!

99 dollars -> 146 euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 123 ✭✭LumpyGravy

Re Kindle with or without keyboard:

I prefer the keyboard because you can highlight text and make notes and annotations, also handy for the browser.

Sorry if these have already been answered but re adding books from other sources has been answered but the Kindle will take any mobi document, there are thousands of free books out there (no not the pirated ones) check out www.gutenberg.org, loads of public domain books to download there, I think even some of them have been formatted for the kindle. If you have a mobi file then all you have to do is connect kindle to pc with usb cable and copy the file over, no converting needed.

They will also take pdf files. They way to get it on the kindle is a bit trickier, when you register your kindle on amazon, you get two email addresses, one is yourname@kindle.com and yourname@free.kindle.com, if you have your kindle connected to your home internet, you can send the pdf as an attachment to the @free.kindle.com address with 'convert' in the subject line and amazon will convert and send it to your device.

Hope this helps ( btw i dont work for amazon, just a huge kindle fan!)

In the end I got the keyboard one today and had it shipped to a uk address. :)

does anybody know can i multitask with audio and reading on it, like could i listen to an audio book and read it at the same time? Or music with a book?

Got this
    406px-Amazon_Kindle_3.JPG
    + this
    51mhk4oZKzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

for the price of this

Kindle%204.jpg

...does anybody know can i multitask with audio and reading on it, like could i listen to an audio book and read it at the same time? Or music with a book?...

http://www.ehow.com/how_5025305_listen-mp-music-kindle.html
    Or
    http://askville.amazon.com/play-music-kindle/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=76072342

(It can be an audio file either)

sweet thanks, you are the man to go to for kindles admiral :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

wish .co.uk had it as trying to get it from amazon.com doubles the cost of the product with import fees, shipping and they even raise the price of the kindle by 40 dollars!

99 dollars -> 146 euro

They're in Tesco

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

I'd suss her out first. I absolutely love reading but I'd hate to have an electronic reader. There is a magic about going into a book shop and looking at what is on sale, finding your favourite author(s) have published a new book, to pick it up and read the back, decide if you should bring it to the coffee shop for a quick preview, find new authors whose books might excite you. It's not quite the same when you look and download. I can't afford to buy them having said all that... but I still do it.

Also, when you find a great book you want to pass it on, you can't with a reader.

you can pass em on for a few weeks on an ereader i believe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 sorifinh

You live in a dirty cardboard box in D5? I hope you're not my husband!

I heard you couldn't pass them on. Can that person pass it on to someone else? I had a book, must have been for 8 years and the only condition was that when you read it, you had to give it back. Gave it to a friend last year for her holliers, she gave it to her friend from Scotland and she lost it. I'm still hopeful though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

I take my books without batteries

Advertisement