Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feedback before buying this laptop

• 07-11-2011 1:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have found a laptop I think I'm gonna buy one of the days, just looking for some feedback on it before I bite the bullet in case any of you more technically minded people may reckon it's not a good buy at all.

Tbh, I'll really only be using the laptop for general web browsing, watching 4od, downloading, watching DVD's, the odd bit of office work - nothing too tasking at all - won't be using it for gaming, high end programs etc...

It's a HP G6 and here's the specs - anything to watch out for?

Basically, is this decent value for €420?

Microprocessor 1.8 GHz AMD Dual-Core E2-3000M APU with Radeon HD 6380G Dual Graphics

Microprocessor Cache 1 MB L2 cache

Memory 4 GB DDR3

Memory Max Upgradeable to 6 GB DDR3

Video Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6380G Dual GPU

Video Memory 1 GB DDR3 dedicated up to 1.98 GB total

Display 39,6 cm (15,6") High-Definition LED BrightView Display (1366 x 768)

Hard Drive 500 GB SATA (5400 rpm)

Multimedia Drive SuperMulti DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support

Network Card Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN

Wireless Connectivity 802.11 b/g/n

Sound Altec Lansing speakers

Keyboard Full size island-style keyboard with home roll keys

Pointing Device TouchPad supporting Multi-Touch gestures with On/Off button

PC Card Slots Multi-Format Digital Media Card Reader for Secure Digital cards, Multimedia cards

External Ports
    1 VGA
    1 headphone-out
    1 microphone-in
    3 USB 2.0
    1 RJ45

Dimensions 37.4 x 24.5 x 3.63 cm
    Weight Starting at 2.55 kg
    Power 65W AC Power Adapter

6-cell Lithium-Ion (Li-Ion)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby_Woo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

This blows the socks off anything you posted and is same price range.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshiba_Satellite_Pro_C660-21C_1102627.html

Thanks for that Fluffy - it does indeed look good, however I should have mentioned that I have a voucher for Currys hence I'll be buying there, so I'm afraid other stores and online are not options for me at the moment :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

How much is the voucher for?

Most of them laptops have very old processors in them so arnt going to be that powerful at all. It's very hard to find a good deal in an Irish shop :)

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    How much is the voucher for?

Most of them laptops have very old processors in them so arnt going to be that powerful at all. It's very hard to find a good deal in an Irish shop :)

Hi again Fluffy88,

I know you're completly right and if it weren't for the voucher I'd definitely be purchasing online, however it's for €200 so it takes a good chunk off the price of a laptop and I'm on a bit of a budget

I've found another laptop that's caught my interest a 17.3" Toshiba

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/TOSHIBA-Satellite-C670D11K-173-Laptop/308008/301

Is this a good / bad buy?

Portability isn't an issue as I'll mainly be using it at home.

Are larger screens a real drain on the battery? Again not a major issue though as it will be plugged in primarily.

Right so guys. I need help choosing.,if you had to choose one of the above 4 laptops which would you go for and why? Or in lndeed if you spot anything better on the PC world website for around €450 please let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Ruby_Woo wrote: »

I've found another laptop that's caught my interest a 17.3" Toshiba

http://www.pcworld.ie/Product/TOSHIBA-Satellite-C670D11K-173-Laptop/308008/301

Thats a weaker processor than in the HP anyway for starters.
    Most of them laptops have very old processors in them so arnt going to be that powerful at all. It's very hard to find a good deal in an Irish shop
    This blows the socks off anything you posted and is same price range.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Toshi...C_1102627.html
    And that's a 1st generation Core i in that, not exactly cutting edge.

Also those Toshibas don't have HDMI, and only 2 USBs which are side by side, so if you're using something like a mobile broadband stick you block off your only other usb port. Basically the design is ancient on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

This will do very well and with the 200 euro voucher it comes out to 420 also.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/DELL-Inspiron-Q15R-Switch-156andquot-Laptop-Black/309466/148

Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't given a great deal of thought to HDMI I suppose it would be nice to have if I hooked it up to the TV the odd time, or what else is HDMI used for?

Really USB 2 would more than likely suffice, would only be using an external harddrive now and again.

Good points though, thanks!
    Jaafa wrote: »
    This will do very well and with the 200 euro voucher it comes out to 420 also.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/DELL-Inspiron-Q15R-Switch-156andquot-Laptop-Black/309466/148

Thanks for that, it does indeed look good, however I should have specified that the €450ish budget includes the voucher so that laptop is out of my price range at the minute.

I'll hopefully be picking up something later on today, anything else to consider before I bite the bullet and spend my cash?

I'm. Still undecided as to which one to go for HP, Samsung, Toshiba or something else?

Help! :/

Basically look for an laptop with at least an i3 processor and 4GB of ram. After that it doesn't really matter much for your needs.

I've always been an advocate of Asus laptops, solid build and good prices so have a look for something like that.

Jaafa wrote: »
    Basically look for an laptop with at least an i3 processor and 4GB of ram. After that it doesn't really matter much for your needs.

I've always been an advocate of Asus laptops, solid build and good prices so have a look for something like that.
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Unfortunately. I don't think I can pick up an i3 in curry's with my budget ATM.

If you had to choose between the HP, Samsung or Toshiba which would you go for and why?

I'll look to see what they have by way of Asus now

Cheers :)

• Advertisement

Ruby_Woo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate it!

Unfortunately. I don't think I can pick up an i3 in curry's with my budget ATM.

If you had to choose between the HP, Samsung or Toshiba which would you go for and why?

I'll look to see what they have by way of Asus now

Cheers :)

Ok. Its a shame you have to buy from currys, so much more expensive.

Anmyway, I had a look and this Toshiba should do you since your on a budget, http://www.currys.ie/Product/TOSHIBA-Satellite-C660-156-Laptop-Grey/310927/148.

Processor is adequate, nice amount of ram and a decent HDD.

Personally I've never used Toshiba's before but from what I hear they are quite reliable and have good build quality.

Advertisement