Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Other dogs out while walking my dog

• 07-11-2011 1:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I live in the country and I love bringing my dog for long walks around where I live. He's always on the lead on the road. Sometimes when I'm walking him other dogs come out and growl at my dog. It's a bit scary and I'm afraid they'll start fighting! If my dad or boyfriend is with me it's fine because one of us can walk ahead with my dog while the other shouts "Go Home!" at the other dog.

But when I'm on my own it can be quite scary... My dad says to bring a stick with me but I don't want to carry a stick around! Is there anything I can do to make these dogs go away? I've no idea who owns them and they could be coming from anywhere through the fields :(

edit: Just realised the thread title makes no sense. Sorry!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Firstly try not to be too intimidated, when you are you'll start panicking and won't be able to think clearly. This happens all the time when I am out walking my fella, I have always found that those that bark usually don't bite. Just relax keep walking and pay no attention, they might follow you for a bit but then they get the picture. Plus if you worry then your dog will sense that and think there is something to be worried about, where as if you are calm and relaxed they will sense that and just keep walking with you.

I don't carry a stick as I am fairly assertive and I can usually tell when a dog is going to attack or not. Most of the dogs don't even bother coming out to bark any more. Our neighbour has a St. Bernard who is dog-aggressive, my mother won't even walk our dog in case he's out when they come back. He's only ever tried it with me once, he started bounding towards us, I stopped, he stopped and then I kept walking he just went away in home and has never bothered us after that. Carry a stick if it makes you feel safer, a lot of dog walkers do.

Finally you could ring the dog warden and just let them know of the general area the dogs are in, he might be able to track down the owners and have a word with them. If not then he has the right to impound the dogs, not nice I know but they really shouldn't be wandering around and are a danger to themselves and others. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I can definitely relate Sparkle, I take my collie boy out on two or three walks a day, there's a lovely park close by my home and it is nigh-impossible to find a good hour to walk him there when there will be no other inconsiderate people waltzing around with their dogs off-lead. My dog is anti-social with other dogs. He will attack. So I walk him on a leash - everyone is happy. But not everyone sees it like I do, and 9 times out of 10 I have to completely change my dog's walk route to avoid a large dog off a lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Very common for me.

St Bernard, jack russel and a rott/lab.

I've come across dogs in gardens not contained, people waking dogs while there on a bike, and others with just no leads.

Some people fail to know that when there dog gets going and there not in control there is no holding it back and there once controllable pet is no longer that.

A big stick, walking with two people and eyes open is the only thing that works for me.
    As said stand firm, best thing you can do. A large stick for me is to try and break my own dogs stare from the other dog.

I've had to run into fields to get away from other people's dogs and some other farm animals.

Defo report them. The dog warden where i am is very good at giving firm warnings but it's rampant in the area.

We are now currently walking around the local church grounds and we've also found a field thats inclosed but with winter it's become very soggy.

Advertisement