Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suit for a wedding

Options
  • 07-11-2011 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

hey

Ill be lookin for a suit in the new year for a wedding,im not a best man or anything official,im just a regular guest but id like to look my best,id rather not go in jeans and a t shirt..ive never had any suits before so i dunno where to go,im lookin for a nice casual suit that i can wear to the wedding and then also get some more use out of it in the future goin out to dinners or whatever. ive no problem payin 300+ for the whole thing, trousers - shirt - waistcoat - jacket - tie..

my instincts are tellin me to go buy one from river island as ive seen some stuff in there before but maybe theres better places for nice suits?

can anyone suggest what kind of suit to get?i was thinking maybe some kind of greyish pants with brown shows but ive no idea,i dont wana look like im goin to a funeral or look like one of the blues brothers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

tangoes in temple bar (beside the foggy dew)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Loads of places are good for suits, a few in particular would be:

House of Fraser, Dundrum

Suit and Tux Warehouse, off South Anne street

M&S

TM Lewin, South Anne Street - great quality shirts at (relatively) decent prices

There's a litany of other places but there's my list anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I like Diffney's. Then I also like Arnotts...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Diffneys gets my vote too. Henry Street store in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Arnott's have a great selection - lots of different designers and whatnot.

Got myself sorted for a really nice suit there (including shoes) for under 350 a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

I brought my boyfriend into Louis Copeland on Capel Street and it was a great experience. The salesman took one look at him and told us that he needed to wear a german designer due to his body shape. He measured him, picked out a selection of suits, and then arranged for alteration to exact size. It was pricey enough but over 3 years later it looks as good as it did day one, after plenty of both casual and formal use.

ooh, and we got a nice silk designer tie thrown in cos we asked :)

wait for the new year sales if you can!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Yes wait for the Christmas sales. For 300 euro you´ll get a very nice suit

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Debenhams

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Ted baker. It says...I'm formal, but I'm here to party

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CyberJuice

what type of jacket would go well with a suit,i think that i may not get a suit jacket as i dont wana look like im goin to a job interview

• Advertisement

nosietoes wrote: »
    I brought my boyfriend into Louis Copeland on Capel Street and it was a great experience. The salesman took one look at him and told us that he needed to wear a german designer due to his body shape. He measured him, picked out a selection of suits, and then arranged for alteration to exact size. It was pricey enough but over 3 years later it looks as good as it did day one, after plenty of both casual and formal use.

ooh, and we got a nice silk designer tie thrown in cos we asked :)

wait for the new year sales if you can!

how much would one of them suits set u back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

My OH got his suit in Burton in Jervis Centre a few years back. It's a lovely fit and still in perfect condition despite numerous wears and dry cleans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

First off don't bother with a waistcoat; they just look tacky, particularly on a young man. Don't go to one of the chains like River Island or Burton either-their stuff is cheap and shapeless. Between Grafton St and Dawson St there are lots of smaller mens shops where you'll get measured properly and get a vastly superior suit for not much more money.
    If you want something you can wear often, go for single-breasted, 2 buttoned in navy or dark brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

The Boss suit in Louis Copeland was pricey I've been reminded. It was around €600. Feeling kinda guilty now about making him buy it but it does still look new. And it was before the recession. In the sales you're likely to get great suits for under €400. And look in smaller mens shops aswell. I know James Herron on Dawson Street do some lovely ones. You do get a better service, and better quality product from men's shops rather than high street machine made suits.

And funnily enough I would say the exact opposite about the more practical/useful colours: Black and Grey would be my choices but I guess it depends on what colours you tend to wear...

Thank you for all the replies guys,ill go lookin in the new year and hopefully there will be some sales on :)

Advertisement