Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dutch to ban Halal and Kosher meat production

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

kraggy wrote: »
    It's looking very likely that the Dutch will vote next month to ban Halal and Kosher meat production in their country.
    The proposal is mostly about animal welfare...
    Mostly not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

It is absolutely not about Animal welfare... nothing of the sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Its no more about "Animal welfare" than the Burka ban is about protecting wimmins rights
    RichieC wrote: »
    basically the type that join PETA....

Fair enough I guess

But theres no shortage of fundie carnivores out there too.

Nodin wrote: »
    Maybe they're for wild carrots?
    Shut up, I'm a carrot wrangler and they're f#ckin lethal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Mike 1972 wrote: »

But theres no shortage of fundie carnivores out there too.

you get a lot of fundamentalist bacon lovers these days... whole forums on it.. It's okay and all but I always assume there's a sort of an agenda behind them..

strobe wrote: »
    Isn't the Netherlands one of the biggest exporters of veal in Europe?
    Tripe's pretty big at the moment, apparently. :rolleyes:

The Dutch Animal Rights party that supported the legislation has two representatives in the legislature, so I have to question how much Dutch voters care about animal welfare as a political issue.

In addition, the European Court of Human Rights has already ruled that ritual slaughter of animals is a protected religious right, so I don't know why the Dutch even went through with this legislation for anything other than to make a domestic political point, as the ECHR will strike the law down after the inevitable lawsuit.
    Thank you. That pretty much covers it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of wacky religious ideas like halal and kosher but I'm pretty sure that if you slit both the arteries in a cows neck it will be unconscious very very quickly, "agonising death" seems to be an overstatement to me

Youtube "Cairo abbatoir" to see what it's like. I can't post it here. I'd be banned.

I think you'll change your mind fairly quickly about whether or not it's agaonising for the animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Youtube "Cairo abbatoir" to see what it's like. I can't post it here. I'd be banned.

I think you'll change your mind fairly quickly about whether or not it's agaonising for the animal.

I am sure you could find a Texas abbatoir which would also show agony? I dont think this is about the animal. Although I am in two minds about it if it is for the good of the animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

As I posted earlier, not much difference in the video below and the Cairo video on youtube.
    farna_boy wrote: »
    On topic, does anyone here actually know how pigs are killed? Now I'm not sure how halal is done, but it doesn't sound too dissimilar to the following "normal" way of killing them i.e. their throats being slit

WARNING: VERY, VERY GRAPHIC!

Skip to 35 minute mark to see how it's actually done.

http://vimeo.com/9212003

Mods: Feel free to remove, if you think it's too graphic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've been to a Halal chicken slaughterhouse in the South East of Ireland. All this talk of chickens having their throats slit & been left on the floor to die in agony is ridiculous. You'd swear there were a lot of fundamentalist Islamics slicing up animals in some bizarre ritual & laughing as they bleed to death.

In reality, the chickens are put on a production line, killed with a knife, then go down the production line to have their feathers removed. There's little difference between that & a standard slaughterhouse... and there wasn't a Muslim in sight - almost all the factory workers were either Irish or Eastern European.

The cruelest part of any slaughterhouse process (Halal or not) is that many animals die before they reach the production line - most slaughterhouses don;t have proper facilities to store the animals when they arrive, so they're left waiting in cages & are subject to the elements. If there's a hold up or stoppage anywhere along the production line - which there often is - a percentage of the birds will always die from either overheating, freezing or dehydration.

Those ones are fucked into a bin & dumped.

The bottom line is - if you eat meat, this type of thing is a reality regardless of the method of slaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

RichieC wrote: »
    Yep, and I bet you know what it means too. perfectly well.

some days I can't be arsed with proper english, especially when dealing with vegetarian fundamentalists

what the fúck is a vegitarian fundamentalist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

Lots of yap here, but until you stand beside an animal being slaughtered, it's just yap. The reality is brutal, really brutal. Nothing prepares the average person for the sight of a slaughterhouse, really, nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Solnskaya wrote: »
    Lots of yap here, but until you stand beside an animal being slaughtered, it's just yap. The reality is brutal, really brutal. Nothing prepares the average person for the sight of a slaughterhouse, really, nothing.

Yeah 40/50 men singing Deliah badly is just shocking

Actually a trip round a slaughter house is very interesting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DjFlin wrote: »
    Food tastes better when you know the animal suffered first. Fact.
    Probably the lactic acid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Yeah 40/50 men singing Deliah badly is just shocking

Actually a trip round a slaughter house is very interesting

It is very interesting - been visiting the line since i was a kid

I would hazard a guess that at least 99% of people on this thread have never been to a slaughterhouse nevermind actually see how the animals are killed either conventionally or halal

It amazing that people can have such strong opinions about things they really have no clue about - bar maybe a youtube video from vegan fundamentalists

Advertisement