Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Munster Express - "Significant Jobs Boost for the City"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

At this stage, even a jobs announcement of 5 would be positive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

There is a couple of big things on the horizon alright.

And that's how it was put to me by a very reliable source. I have no idea what it is though

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I really hope there's something big on the horizon but I think we're all weary of false promises and hope at this stage. It's like the PR machine of the powers that be send out this rumour of great things to come to keep us all a bit happier for a while and hope we'll forget about it in a few months time by which time they'll put out some other rumour to give us more false hope. Hopefully, my pessimism is way off the mark but having heard all about job initiatives, renegotiating bailouts, Frankfurt's way or Labour's way, etc. etc. you wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

O Riain wrote: »
    I dont trust a word that the munster express say anymore but still said I'd come on here, has anyone seen their latest "article" and possibly able to completely deny or add any truth to it?
    Online version(short version) is here:
    http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/%e2%80%98significant%e2%80%99-jobs-boost-for-the-city/

Have to agree with you there Riain re: the munster express. The jobs announcement needs to be more significant than the potential 200 the article talks about as we have had about 1000 losses in the last 4/5 months.
    On saying that, any positive developments, not announcements most welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Max Powers wrote: »
    On saying that, any positive developments, not announcements most welcome.

Fingers crossed it is not just more PR spin.

With the amount of unused spaces in the city, we must be well placed to handle a decent sized project

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Yea I've heard of something big that is going to be announced soon with 200 jobs and I've heard it from a very reliable source. We really need something like that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

Does this reliable source have a name or something ???

Of course she has a name but id rather not say :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

michellie wrote: »
    Of course she has a name but id rather not say :p

Ok, so we know it's a woman.

Does she wear glasses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

EirGen announced a new deal with a South African company to manufacture some of their products, but its only worth €3 million per annum so nothing big. Something at least though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Easy to find articles on google. 3.3m 20 jobs. Good news but nothing to be screaming from the rafters about. This is NOT a *significant* boost. A "significant" boost would be 300 jobs, not 20. Still good news, maybe even great news, but it's a drop in the ocean. And with the government all over it, it's sickening. How the government get away with clapping themselves on the back for a company's expansion is beyond me.

If they want kudos, they should bring in the goods for Waterford. The "goods" would be 300 jobs, min 100 of them high value, in a company NOT ALREADY IN WATERFORD, that is growing and could could hope to employ 1,000 in a few years. *That* would be significant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I know what you mean alright about the Government slapping themselves on the back every time a company announces new jobs, but you are getting mixed up with the EirGen news and the Munster Express Article. The article mentions Senator Cummins hinting at the significant jobs boost. Then again, I wouldn't be surprised if he got his facts wrong and it was actually EirGen he was alluding to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Yea I've heard of something big that is going to be announced soon with 200 jobs and I've heard it from a very reliable source. We really need something like that!

Is it retail or factory? City really needs a lift its dead right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

This has to be without a doubt one of the most vaguest stories I've ever heard!

Could be a circus for all we know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭decies

jayboi wrote: »
    This has to be without a doubt one of the most vaguest stories I've ever heard!

Could be a circus for all we know
    What kind of a circus is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

Regina Mangan from book a room posted about this a good while ago. I'd imagine they might know something if it's a new company because they may be already sorting accomadation for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

Regina Mangan from book a room posted about this a good while ago. I'd imagine take might know something if it's a new company because they may be already sorting accomadation or people.

So am I right to think the Munster express has not named the source or even how many jobs is being reported?

jo06555 wrote: »

Is it retail or factory? City really needs a lift its dead right now.

Callcentre :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Regina Mangan from book a room posted about this a good while ago. I'd imagine take might know something if it's a new company because they may be already sorting accomadation or people.
    god help em is she is heard it was a call centre too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

its prob the american company that was said to be interested in investing in 1000 jobs in ireland and was looking in few places including waterford, twas reported by the irish times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

its prob the american company that was said to be interested in investing in 1000 jobs in ireland and was looking in few places including waterford, twas reported by the irish times

I'd doubt that very much. If there was even a sniff that it might be them it would be all over the news/twitter etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Rumours of a large HR company for quite a while now.

And then, those were call centre jobs, weren't they? You'd get about 5 years out of them and they'd be gone again, the government relaxes about Waterford and meanwhile, the Googles, Facebooks and Ciscos, etc. go to Dublin, Galway and Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ok I can't get into the reason why I know because it would effect the wifes work (so I gotta be vague) but from what I gather there is something coming with about 150 jobs. Would be a great boost for the city not matter what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Update: Stuff to Happen sometime. subheadline maybe soon maybe lots, not quiet sure.

Any sort of jobs creation is a good thing, no doubt, however we aren't looking for a quick fix here, we need investment and job creation, that's sustainable viable and will grow into the future.

ziedth wrote: »
    Ok I can't get into the reason why I know because it would effect the wifes work (so I gotta be vague) but from what I gather there is something coming with about 150 jobs. Would be a great boost for the city not matter what it is.

Seriously, if it's call centre work, it might honestly do more harm than good if it means that Waterford is considered "taken care of" for the next year or so. And I mean that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

merlante wrote: »
    Seriously, if it's call centre work, it might honestly do more harm than good if it means that Waterford is considered "taken care of" for the next year or so. And I mean that.

The government can't just decide where jobs are going to go and I would assume this has been in the pipeline well before we started cryin out for help. I assume we'll have the technical university within a year and maybe a bit more help from the IDA. Hopefully this announcement wont affect any of that.

O Riain wrote: »
    The government can't just decide where jobs are going to go and I would assume this has been in the pipeline well before we started cryin out for help. I assume we'll have the technical university within a year and maybe a bit more help from the IDA. Hopefully this announcement wont affect any of that.

The government has a massive influence on where companies go. Galway was built up from a very low base over the past 20/30 years and has doubled in population because of a consistent government policy to promote the west for business. Waterford, on the other hand, has declined from a strong industrial base 30 years ago (mostly indigenous industrials!) to living off call centre scraps. FDI don't know anything about Ireland except what the government and the IDA tell them.

To be honest, with the motorway network and improving rail services, Ireland should model itself as a city state like Singapore, with Dublin being the 'centre' and Galway, Limerick, Cork and Waterford being campuses with certain clusters. All centres are now less than 3hrs from Dublin by road, and Cork and Shannon are connected to Dublin by air. Waterford is less than 2hrs away by road and 2-2.5hrs by rail. There is no reason why industry should not want to go to any particular location other than the fact that similar industries are already in another location -- and of course, government/IDA incompetence/bias.

I wonder if today's news (below) is the 200 jobs the Munster Express article referred to? Disappointing if it is, as these construction jobs will only be temporary. Still no sign of the Government's "deep dive" report to help Waterford either.
    200 jobs will be created in Waterford during the constuction of a multi million euro sports arena at WIT.

It's the next phase of the Sports Campus at Carriganore and will include four playing pitches and a conference centre capable of seating two thousand.The 10.5 million euro development is being funded by WIT Campus Services. Minister for Public Expenditure Brendan Howlin says it's good news for the region.President of the GAA Christy Cooney says the campus has huge potential.
    From WLR website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I wonder if today's news (below) is the 200 jobs the Munster Express article referred to? Disappointing if it is, as these construction jobs will only be temporary. Still no sign of the Government's "deep dive" report to help Waterford either.

From WLR website.

saw something on teletext today that report into south east strategy is being delayed. Bruton said it would be done in a month. I think the month is up now for a few days at least.

I doubt those 200 construction jobs are the 'significant' announcement, couldnt be, as you said, temporary jobs that will last for a year approx involved in the WIT construction.

Max Powers wrote: »
    saw something on teletext today that report into south east strategy is being delayed. Bruton said it would be done in a month. I think the month is up now for a few days at least.

I doubt those 200 construction jobs are the 'significant' announcement, couldnt be, as you said, temporary jobs that will last for a year approx involved in the WIT construction.
    It's been over 2 months since Talk Talk announced the job losses. I hope these construction jobs aren't the 'significant announcement' but to be honest I'd say they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this was the annoucement that they were talking about.

Advertisement