Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recycling

Options
  • 07-11-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

I was tidying up the garden the weekend and I there is a lot of hedging and clipping to be disposed of. Now I know I can take to the local recycling centre, but I was wondering if you could shred it, and make compact logs out of it so that you could burn in you it in your own fire. You are solving a number of problems. Now I don’t know if this is practical as in the majority of gardens they would have evergreen shrubs and no matter how much compressing you do, I don’t think it would form a strong log that you could store for the winter. Also the amount of moisture in the log would also be too high and this can lead to other problems like sutting up your chimney. But apart from all that is there a more economical way of disposing of this and providing the householder with some extra benefits? Just an idea I thought I would throw it out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I shred the leaves and small stuff (say anything less than the thickness of your forefinger) and I use the shredding as a weed barrier mulch around the base of my hedging and trees.

Anything thicker than that I gather and tie together in bunches and store in my garage to dry, the following winter I cut them into 6" lengths and use them as kindling.

Heavy stuff is similarly stored and then used as firewood.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

prospect wrote: »
    I shred the leaves and small stuff (say anything less than the thickness of your forefinger) and I use the shredding as a weed barrier mulch around the base of my hedging and trees.

Anything thicker than that I gather and tie together in bunches and store in my garage to dry, the following winter I cut them into 6" lengths and use them as kindling.

Heavy stuff is similarly stored and then used as firewood.
    +1

Small/leafy stuff = mulch
    Bigger twigs etc. = firewood

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭drdoon

Same here. Mulch it and burn the larger twigs. I cannot understand when I see black bage of grass brought all the way to the beach from someones home and then dumped in the bag itself on the beach. I mean what in Gods name is going on? Is there seriously nowhere it can be put? Disgusting

Advertisement