Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fun day at the range

• 07-11-2011 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭

what is your idea of the perfect range day

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i love shooting standind and kneeling at sillhouetes of rabbits etc only way i could make it more perfect was if instead of doing it with my 22 icould do it with a semi auto 223!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭clivej

For me its going through the different details so I'm getting practice in for the Gallery competitons. As always there a few of us on the line at the same time so it adds to the competitive nature of the shooting and the craic.

And then the odd time the I'm able to get a good score as well is the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Turn up nice and early, conditions easily readable. Chat to folk, prepare my gear, assemble rifle, lay out firing point and the like, do my bit of stretching, get into position, dry-fire for a bit to get the feel right, shoot my entire course of fire, all tens, smile, tidy up, clean up, go home. That's how it always goes in my head at least. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

I'm easy enough. This or higher:

20110816_014b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Start off with a bacon sandwich (batch bread)

Then some smallbore gallery rifle
    Then.some lever action gallery rifle

Then some lunch and a bit of banter

Then some smallbore pistol
    Then.some.centrefire pistol
    Then some smallbore benchrest rifle

Then a few buns and.tell a few lies bout earlier shooting

then some sporting clays
    Then some ABT

Then clean all the guns

And finish out the day with a jumper full of nice soft pints

I used.to that every week but now.its every second.or third week coz of thbe kids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

When i can get in a few hours of uninterrupted shooting. No wind, 8 - 10 degree weather. Dry.

A few lads beside me for the bit of competition, and getting to shoot a few different disciplines throughout the day.

Topped off with numerous cups of coffee, and a good chat at the end.

Basically Saturday 2 weeks ago.:D
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    what is your idea of the perfect range day

Yes. the above is my kinda day.
    Especially some of the older stuff.

The GPMG is great craic to fire, so too the .5BMG
    That teenie SF gun is cool, looks like a very small cal.

I think there are only 3 places in the Entire US where you can own half that stuff, and mostly because it was made pre the ban on production of Full Auto stuff for Civies.

The 12G Full Auto would be handy after Duck :D.

I was talking To Jim Murphy about a place in Kentucky where he hails from that you can do that, Must pay him a visit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

as much fun as that looks, i would opt out of the offer to stand in such an un-even line with a bunch of US tech-9 wielding home defence nuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

These videos make we wish I sold ammunition for a living.
    I think there are only 3 places in the Entire US where you can own half that stuff, and mostly because it was made pre the ban on production of Full Auto stuff for Civies.

I think you can have all this stuff in the great majority of states. It's a PITA because there's a lot of red tape and a $200 tax required to buy one, and a lot of ranges ban full auto, but if you're determined, and don't live in one of the anti-gun states, it's doable. Cost is the big issue. The problem is, as you said, it all has to be "pre-ban" (read "pre 1986"). That means the value has been going up steadily for 25 years. A full auto AR-15 could cost you $20k. Hard to justify when you can go to one of those ranges in Vegas and shoot one for beer money with zero paperwork.

Oh and this is a good day at the range for me...and a rare one:

glock_21_group.jpg

It doesn't look it, but that group is exactly 2 inches. 25 yards, .45 ACP Glock 21 , 6 rounds, off-hand. Far from a perfect score of course but it's the best bit of shooting I've done to date I reckon :)

• Advertisement

My Glock 22 would be very happ with that group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

firefly08 wrote: »
    Oh and this is a good day at the range for me...and a rare one:

glock_21_group.jpg

It doesn't look it, but that group is exactly 2 inches. 25 yards, .45 ACP Glock 21 , 6 rounds, off-hand. Far from a perfect score of course but it's the best bit of shooting I've done to date I reckon :)

Just move your left foot back a half inch and pull that group into the 10.

B'Man

Bananaman wrote: »
    Just move your left foot back a half inch and pull that group into the 10.
    Or stop heeling the grip...

Or stop heeling the grip...

What does that mean? I am not well up on the terminology I'm afraid.I know I have a tendency to shoot to the right with any pistol but I wasn't sure why. I experiment with different ways of gripping the gun - this group was shot one handed with a fairly firm grip, except for my little finger which I keep loose.

Means having too much pressure on the back of the grip with the heel of your hand (if your little finger's loose but everything else is firmly gripping, you probably are heeling).

When you shoot a group like that, and it's consistently off, and you know you had a good sight picture throughout, you might find this diagram useful (it helped me a lot):

image002.gif

Take a read of the webpage that's on too, it's well worth it.

The thing about B'man's suggestion there is that it might not work - it'd move your natural point of aim, certainly, and it's exactly how you should do that; but in your case, if it's heeling that's causing it, you'll move your NPA, then aim at the target anyway and now you'll be heeling the grip (so you'll still break high right) and your NPA won't be on the target anymore so your hold will be worse than before (not by much, not for that small a change, but still).

I suppose you could aim an inch or two low and left and shoot as before, that'd do the same thing; but it seems like it'd be better to fix the problem with your grip instead :)

Cool thanks I'll take a look at that.

I did feel like I had the best sight picture I'm capable of so I'd rather not change the point of aim. I would tend to shoot between 12 and 5 o clock on that diagram a lot of the time so I must be doing some or all of those things.

Might be that firm grip causing the problem. The grip doesn't have to be firm enough to mould the metal to your hand, it just has to keep the pistol from falling out of your fingers (or jumping out with recoil) :D

Thats a great group with a Glock 45Cal, especially one handed @25 yards

Advertisement