Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broken Roof Tile - Big Job?

• 07-11-2011 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭

Looking at buying a house, about 12 years old. Noticed some black staining on dry-dash render - noted mould growth at pvc soffit vent where water seems to be seeping out after rain.

I see what appears to be a slipped or broken tile on pitched roof. It's a hipped roof, house is detached, overhanging eaves. They're a pretty standard dark grey tile.

Going to get a surveyor to take a proper look but trying to understand basic techniques and methods. Can the broken tile be replaced without lifting a large number of tiles?

It's a bout half way down the roof.

Putting me off the place a bit, I don't mind cosmetic work but I'm always wary of cowboys - just because I can't closely inspect the work myself!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Being detached is good news as you wont need to strip your neighbours roof:D

I assume u mean concrete roof tiles so at best 6 need to be removed, depending on where the nailed rows are, usually every second row except near eaves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

If the stain is directly below the broken tile it could be the problem and as Carlow said not a big job unless the broken tile is beside the hip because you may have to remove a ridge tile or two.

If the stain appears to have spread to say 2 > 3m or wider then I would insist on a very close inspection as we have come across fairly new houses where the head lap of the tiles was as small as 50mm.

Advertisement