Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squeezing time

• 07-11-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭

Lads,
    Have 3 male weanlings (friesians) aged 5 months old. Should I squeeze/castrate them now or is it too early?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Lads,
    Have 3 male weanlings (friesians) aged 5 months old. Should I squeeze/castrate them now or is it too early?

My opinion is that now is the best time to do it. They are young enought so it won't stunt their growth too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

reilig wrote: »
    My opinion is that now is the best time to do it. They are young enought so it won't stunt their growth too much.

Thanks Reilig; advice appreciated.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

whats the cost to get young bulls (6months old) squeezed?

I don't know. I do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

i use to squeeze back 5 or 6 years ago with a farmer, but he was a master at it, he use to line up the jaw of the bazzuzors (or however you spell it) .but i have heard of lads making a bol*x of it , and killing young cattle or even going out the following year to see a few heifers tipped

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

i use to squeeze back 5 or 6 years ago with a farmer, but he was a master at it, he use to line up the jaw of the bazzuzors (or however you spell it) .but i have heard of lads making a bol*x of it , and killing young cattle or even going out the following year to see a few heifers tipped
    a DIY Job gone wrong; think I might leave it to the vet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

I don't know. I do it myself.

Do you not sell all your weanlings as bulls? I thought young bull or heifer beef was the way to go.....

Muckit wrote: »
    Do you not sell all your weanlings as bulls? I thought young bull or heifer beef was the way to go.....

Not them all. Fingers in all pies me.
    Autumn and early spring weinlings are all sold the following autumn as bulls. Late spring weinlings are usually kept over winter, squeezed on housing and sold in february.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Not them all. Fingers in all pies me.
    Autumn and early spring weinlings are all sold the following autumn as bulls. Late spring weinlings are usually kept over winter, squeezed on housing and sold in february.

Oh right. ;)

Speaking of late weanlings I see Ballinasloe Weanling Mart was featured in IFJ's Mart watch in last week's issue. All the heifers and bull weanlings in pics without exception were April and May calves .... God Nathan must have got some rollocking off Justin.... letting the side down putting in a report like that!!! :D:D Dreams... reality

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Lads,

Got 7 friesians done up a week ago the were 11 months old, they were looking a bit stiff for a few days, 1 or 2 is still a little swollen but other than that seems to have done them no harm, still eating there meal etc, was going to keep them as bulls but just a little wary of having them with other family members involved aswell, i think they have better frames for been left longer, i paid some one to do it doesent cost much and no mistakes made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

hey ace,

I'd say now is good;
    It’s illegal to castrate over 6 months without the vet!
    I’d be getting the vet anyway, well worth it to make sure;
    best not house them for a while after the squeeeeeze, let them lick their wounds for a while, so to speak :D

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Toplink

15 euro a beast around our parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Toplink wrote: »
    15 euro a beast around our parts.

:eek: Christ.....I've being selling myself short for years.
    I wouldn't have the neck to look for that sort of money :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

if I was doing another mans animals I would want that much. Its bad enough doing your own with out getting into a badly set up crush to risk a kick in your own crown jewels!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

if I was doing another mans animals I would want that much. Its bad enough doing your own with out getting into a badly set up crush to risk a kick in your own crown jewels!

+ 1

You would want that at least, danger money!! Thatś what i charge but a reduction for a larger group together

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

And losing out on any possible future childrens allowance :D

Advertisement