Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Del Toro for JJ Sequel?

Options
  • 07-11-2011 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Benicio Del Toro is in line to play a leading character in the 'Star Trek' sequel.

The 44-year-old actor – best known for roles in '21 Grams' and 'Traffic' – is set to play an unknown villainous role in the movie, after director J.J. Abrams offered him the opportunity, Variety reports.

Eric Bana performed the lead baddie in the last movie, Romulan character Nero, but he will not be returning as his character died at the end of the first film.

However, the secrecy surrounding the follow-up is so intense even Del Toro does not know exactly what his role will be.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/entertainment/del-toro-to-enrol-as-star-trek-villain-527384.html#ixzz1d0zzT0hJ

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Being dead wouldn't stop Nero from being in the 2nd one, don't forget this is Abrams.

Have some big explosions first, no-one will notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

When I read Del Toro I immediately thought Khan because Ricardo Montalban played him and I'm guessing somewhere in my background knowledge that Del Toro is Latin American or of Spanish descent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

When I read Del Toro I immediately thought Khan because Ricardo Montalban played him and I'm guessing somewhere in my background knowledge that Del Toro is Latin American or of Spanish descent.

03_somewhere_benicio-pg-horizontal.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

03_somewhere_benicio-pg-horizontal.jpg

woah! sure he's not of ape descent? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, he's gotta be Khan. Although I'm not sure how I feel about them using Khan as a villain. The brilliance of that character in STII is due in large part to the fact that Kirk is of a certain age and has a history with Khan. The idea that Kirk has never faced death before and the sacrifice Spock makes on his behalf, etc. It will be very difficult for them to replicate the power of that story with the younger crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

First thing I thought was Klingon.

klingons.jpg?w=450&h=300.

Really hope they don't bring Khan into it. And I don't think Del Toro has the eloquence required for that role at all. He'd make a bloody great Klingon though!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

Apparently del Toro is out.

Interestingly Peter Weller (a.k.a. Robocop) has been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭pah

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

Benedict Cumberbatch is in it now, he'd make a good Romulan I reckon, or maybe Gary Mitchell or Garth of Izar . . .

Advertisement