Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving to Kilkenny

Options
  • 07-11-2011 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Anybody drive Galway to Kilkenny recently? Any suggested routes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I done Galway to Waterford recently, I went the Limerick way used the tunnel and I done it in 2 hours 40 minutes, its great with the motorway from Gort to Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Acidflash

Last time I drove there I went as far as junction 5 on the M6, then Tullamore, Mountmellick,Portlaoise, Kilkenny. It's a handy drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

There's no "ideal" route unfortunately.
    The way I go is: Galway >> Loughrea >> Portumna >> Birr >> Roscrea >> Borris in Ossory >> Durrow >> Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

The way I go is: Galway >> Loughrea >> Portumna >> Birr >> Roscrea >> Borris in Ossory >> Durrow >> Kilkenny.
    This is the route i take aswell, bring some good tunes, boring drive

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

M6 as far as J5 ftw.

Good road on to Tullamore and much less of a boring drive than the Portumna way, apart from the motorway portion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

Very true. As someone who used to drive this route a lot, I found that taking the motorway as far as Ballinasloe and then following signs for Shannonbridge then Cloghan-Birr>> Roscrea >> Borris in Ossory >> Durrow >> Kilkenny is slightly faster. It's also safer and easier as the Loughrea - Birr stretch going the other route has some bad roads.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

There's no "ideal" route unfortunately...
    Ah sure there is, the one that runs mainly through North Tipp.

Galway >> Loughrea >> Portumna >> Borrisokane >> Nenagh >> Borrosoleigh >> Thurles >> Twomileborris >> Urlingford >> Freshford >> Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

mathepac wrote: »

Galway >> Loughrea >> Portumna >> Borrisokane >> Nenagh >> Borrosoleigh >> Thurles >> Twomileborris >> Urlingford >> Freshford >> Kilkenny.

LOL. Good luck with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Acidflash wrote: »
    Last time I drove there I went as far as junction 5 on the M6, then Tullamore, Mountmellick,Portlaoise, Kilkenny. It's a handy drive.

I hate this road, mainly because of that section outsdie portlaoise where its teasingly straight, full of people going at 40 mph, but yet never a chance to overtake.

I'd go this way in good weather.
    mathepac wrote: »

Madness!

In bad weather I go through limerick and clonmel. Takes about the same time may 15 mins more, but worth it for the easier drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Same here, been doing that route for years after trying some others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

This is the best route, hubby from Kilkenny so travel this route alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

hi there

I find the shortest route from Limerick to Kilkenny is to take Dublin Motorway M7 to Dublin. Come off motorway at Borris in Ossory to Ballycolla to Durrow >> Kilkenny . So maybe drive to gort. Go on motorway all way to limerick use tunnel straight onto dublin motorway etc

Hope you have a good trip

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭slideshow bob

Thanks for all the tips.

For what it's worth I took the motorway to Kilbeggan -> Tullamore -> Portloaise -> Abbeyleix -> Durrow -> Kilkenny. Bad signage and road difficult after Tullamore (thought I was on the wrong road for a while). Improved a bit after Portloaise. 130miles, took 2hrs40min from start of motorway at Briarhill, leaving at 8am.

On the way back I came Durrow -> Borris in Ossery -> Roscrea -> Birr -> Portumna -> Loughrea -> motorway to Galway. Road not great in places, but even in the rain and dark and roadworks in Birr it was easier than the journey down somehow. 118 miles, took 2hrs25min. Slower speed, but quicker journey and also burned way less petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

heading down there on Sat, will take the Birr route.
    I'll have my camera with me so if there's anything of interest on the route I'll snap it. I'm guessing Portumna boats/water might be my first stop

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Birr gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭RINO87

take a walk around birr, lots of nice photo ops.

Advertisement