Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Filter Servicing

Options
  • 07-11-2011 12:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi All,

Do you guys know anybody who services water filtration system in Galway? With all the talk about high level of carcinogenic substances in irish water, I thought it might be a good idea to get that old unused system at home inot working order.

All the guys I contacted are talking about getting new system even before looking at what i have at home!

Any contacts would be appreciated.

Cheers

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭mallachyrivers

What carcinogens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

MeaCuppa wrote: »
    With all the talk about high level of carcinogenic substances in irish water,

News to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Maybe find an agent for the make of filter you already have, get one of their reps to service it.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭dasium

Have you spoken to your local environmental health department in the HSE in regard to your queries... ? surely they could answer some of your concerns and possibly put u down the correct path if a filtering system was actually needed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MeaCuppa

Maybe, i am being paranoid, but this is what Irish Times said:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0825/1224302935385.html

"According to figures released to the group under an EU directive on access to information, almost 600,000 consumers are receiving water that exceeds limits set by the World Health Organisation (WHO) for these chemicals.

Donegal County Council recently closed one public water supply. Others scheduled for closure because of breaches include Enniskerry, Co Wicklow; Kilkenny; Schull, Co Cork; Mountmellick, Co Laois; and two in Mayo, Kilmain and Kiltimagh."

The response from our Environmental Protection Agency, our watchdog concerning environmental protection: “health risks from such sources are much less than the risk from consuming water that has not been disinfected”. Its like saying, "the chances of you dying of an accident is higher"!

All in the name of a water filter! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 GiddyUp86

I live in Kildare and have a filter under my sink, hadn't changed it in 3 years (thought they were self cleaning haha) obviously water began to taste foul so just bought some filters off a guy on adverts (not sure of the name) changed them myself (very easy) and since that I can honestly say it made a world of difference

So if you have a filter, definitely get it changed!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

I buy replacements filters for my unit from a guy in clonakilty, the filters are only about 5 euros each and very simple to replace. Dont go calling out someone to service it this will end up costing you a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

hi water2buy.ie, are based in Galway - ballybane, specifically.
    They do online buy also has a industrial store.
    I've used them a fair bit, bought RO filter and water softener system.
    Have found them to be as economical as anywhere else, and generally sound people.
    (I've no affiliation to them whatsoever - just a satisfied customer)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Try Galway Water Solutions.
    He's a sound enough bloke.

http://www.galwaywater.ie

I still cannot understand the need for a water filter, don't waste your money, it's all a money racket! Ireland has probably one of the finest water supply systems in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I still cannot understand the need for a water filter, don't waste your money, it's all a money racket! Ireland has probably one of the finest water supply systems in the world

Just to balance this argument, the reason I got a water filter (RO system) was twofold...
    1. I live in Galway - issues with Crypto
    2. I had a young child - who needed hospital care twice with a condition called renal reflux which was called by repeated UTI / kidney infections, caused by e-coli in the water
    3. And much more cosmetic - I live in a very hard water area, and was sick of cosmetic limescale scum on the top of my cups of tea

Toal cost of system was < €250, so money well spend as far as I'm concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 25,946 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ireland has probably one of the finest water supply systems in the world

I think you need to travel more.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

On taste grounds, there are significant levels of chlorine and flouride added to the water which give off a rather noxious chemical odour and metallic taste to the water.

ladhrann wrote: »

On taste grounds, there are significant levels of chlorine and flouride added to the water which give off a rather noxious chemical odour and metallic taste to the water.

I don't mean to be pedantic but as far as I know Chlorine and Fluorine are not metals!

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

I don't mean to be pedantic but as far as I know Chlorine and Fluorine are not metals!

With this wisdom, the next time I get a metallic taste mean that I have consumed a metal?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Aluminium Sulphate would be what you may have tasted.

Still not a metal, salts are what give water flavour, nothing to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

Still not a metal, salts are what give water flavour, nothing to worry about!

But salts raise a bodies blood pressure

Well sodium chloride does, but you need thiese salts to function properly anyway, i've never heard a doctor saying you shouldn't drink tap water as it will heighten your blood pressure!:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

I am aware of that. However the water treatment in the city gives the water a metallic taste. Meaning like or of metal, not literally a metal.

• Advertisement

Why bother wasting time and money with bottled water, either find a stream or a well or just cotton on to the fact that tap water is sound to drink!

Advertisement